Danube River water levels

listaLolis

I have been reading about the water levels, ship swaps & bus tours all summer long in anticipation for our Vantage Christmas Market cruise on the Danube. I have seen mentioned some of the major cruise lines not being able to get through on the Danube but no mention of problems with Vantage. Was there anyone on Vantage on the Danube that did ship swaps or not being able to get through? Did anyone on other ships notice Vantages ships or speak to those passengers? Just wondering.....

We are due to go with Viking on Nov. 22nd. We hope to take in at least one Christmas Market but they don't open until the last week of November. When is your cruise?

We are due to go with Viking on Nov. 22nd. We hope to take in at least one Christmas Market but they don't open until the last week of November. When is your cruise?

We are on Atla on Nov22, my email is melissasue79@hotmail.com if you want to send me any private messages. I will delete this message after a bit so my email isn't on here for the whole

World to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whining never helps, hoping and praying things ships get through..

I think we have all the same prayer; that all the ships get through. It has to be so hard on the crews trying to make all this ship swapping work. By the way travel insurance doesn't cover cancellation unless you also purchased cancellation insurance.

It would have been so much more pleasant however if Viking was being straightforward when folks call for information.

We understand flexibility is the key when traveling; treat others with respect and enjoy.

If your cruise is not cancelled but changed to a bus trip will the insurance cover it.

Just talked to my travel agent and we are covered totally except for the insurance. So I am waiting till the 20th to decide. We fly out to Prague on the 25th

Just talked to my travel agent and we are covered totally except for the insurance. So I am waiting till the 20th to decide. We fly out to Prague on the 25th

I don't think the cruise won't be cancelled. Doubtful the entire cruise will become a bus tour; just busing in certain spots.

We did not buy cancellation insurance - just travel insurance. So we are going and intending to have a good time no matter the method of transportation.

If your cruise is not cancelled but changed to a bus trip will the insurance cover it.

No! Unless you purchased "Cancel for ANY reason" from an outside vendor (not purchase or offered by the the Cruiseline).

And even those policies have "inclusions and exclusions".

If you purchased from your Cruiseline there are no refunds, you just get a bus tour or what ever changes the Cruiseline makes to your itinerary.

Get your policy out and read it! If purchased thru Cruiseline your full policy is available and likely sent by an email link. So your Travel Agent. That's what they get paid for.

No! Unless you purchased "Cancel for ANY reason" from an outside vendor (not purchase or offered by the the Cruiseline).

And even those policies have "inclusions and exclusions".

If you purchased from your Cruiseline there are no refunds, you just get a bus tour or what ever changes the Cruiseline makes to your itinerary.

Get your policy out and read it! If purchased thru Cruiseline your full policy is available and likely sent by an email link. So your Travel Agent. That's what they get paid for.

You are right. I can cancel but we would get vouchers to use within the next 15 months. The cruise line said that they are swapping half way. I can live with that. Hope it is the truth

The Market in Nuremberg doesn't open until the 27th of November but we sail from there the 22nd. The catalog we used to book our cruise said we would experience Christmas Markets on this cruise.

Will we do that in Passau, Vienna, or Budapest? Will they be day or evening visits?

Thanks,

We aren't worried but just trying to plan ahead. Viking promised Christmas Markets and we want to know in which locations we will attend them.

The ambiance of a Christmas Market will so much different than a regular market.

Thanks for the heads-up about the square markets. We will be in Nuremberg a few days early so may just wander through one.

The Market in Nuremberg doesn't open until the 27th of November but we sail from there the 22nd. The catalog we used to book our cruise said we would experience Christmas Markets on this cruise.

Will we do that in Passau, Vienna, or Budapest? Will they be day or evening visits?

Thanks,

Surely you have your docs by now, right? Your itinerary is spelled out in those and it should say which stops will include Christmas markets. It looks like your cruise was billed as a Thanksgiving cruise, not Christmas. A little internet research will tell you that the markets in Regensberg open on 11/23 and 11/25, Passau 11/26, Vienna (lots of them) between 11/13 and 11/21 and Budapest 11/13. Looks like you will hit most of them.

Great news. Just checked the weather in Passau and it is going to rain 7 out of the next 15 days

Well...."it's going to rain...." is pretty optimistic. The forecast calls for pretty good chances for rain for several days beginning next week.

The thing is... raining in Passau doesn't help that much. The water doesn't pool in the river in one spot. It needs to rain in the high country that drains into the river over a huge area. And it needs to rain a lot for a length period of time.

Still, the forecast shows several days of 50% to 60% chance of showers.

I really hope it works out for everyone booked on upcoming cruises.

Surely you have your docs by now, right? Your itinerary is spelled out in those and it should say which stops will include Christmas markets. It looks like your cruise was billed as a Thanksgiving cruise, not Christmas. A little internet research will tell you that the markets in Regensberg open on 11/23 and 11/25, Passau 11/26, Vienna (lots of them) between 11/13 and 11/21 and Budapest 11/13. Looks like you will hit most of them.

We do indeed have our docs by now. But it doesn't mention the Christmas Markets at all. Thank you for the internet research and the dates. I appreciate it.

The Atla is on the move finally I just got a notification from marine traffic app. On the way to Linz from Vienna (sat there since the 6th) I was getting worried let's see if can get any closer to Nuremburg then Linz over the next couple days[emoji120][emoji572]️

Edited by melissasue79

The Atla is on the move finally I just got a notification from marine traffic app. On the way to Linz from Vienna (sat there since the 6th) I was getting worried let's see if can get any closer to Nuremburg then Linz over the next couple days[emoji120][emoji572]️

I noticed that it just say for days. Good news to hear that it is moving again. Would you give us that link again to watch its movement please. :)

Hi everyone..

Just wanted to share a little info.. We are on AMA Prima.. We cannot get to Vienna. They are now bussing us with all our luggage to Vienna to board the AMA Verde... The water level is very low.. Looking ahead though, they seem to think we can now get to Germany.: yay.. A little inconvenient, but it is what it is & we are making the very best of a beautiful trip..

Hi everyone..

Just wanted to share a little info.. We are on AMA Prima.. We cannot get to Vienna. They are now bussing us with all our luggage to Vienna to board the AMA Verde... The water level is very low.. Looking ahead though, they seem to think we can now get to Germany.: yay.. A little inconvenient, but it is what it is & we are making the very best of a beautiful trip..

You should at least be able to make it to Vilshofen, 20 Km upstream from Passau.

I noticed that it just say for days. Good news to hear that it is moving again. Would you give us that link again to watch its movement please. :)

It's called marine traffic.com then search "Viking Atla" it's made as far as Melk since I checked again I. My personal email is melissasue79@hotmail.com if you want to email me privately. I paid for an upgrade within the website so I can see updates etc but I can let you know as I find out info on where our boat is. 41dc5b74f532d94e6298c41034fb8edf.jpg

There are several ship locator sites and some update more frequently than others. I was following our ship prior to our Oct 25 sailing and one site showed it way down river near the Black sea for several days. The other site, accurately, showed it between Budapest and Bratislava.

So, you might compare two or more sites and see if there is a difference.

FYI, I just received an email from Viking about our Nuremberg to Budapest Danube cruise which starts this Sunday (11/15). We are scheduled to do a ship swap at Passau and the river is too low to sail from Vienna to Budapest. We will be bussed to Budapest and spend the last two nights at a hotel. I am satisfied with the timeliness of Viking's communication and am confident they will everything possible to make our trip enjoyable.

FYI, I just received an email from Viking about our Nuremberg to Budapest Danube cruise which starts this Sunday (11/15). We are scheduled to do a ship swap at Passau and the river is too low to sail from Vienna to Budapest. We will be bussed to Budapest and spend the last two nights at a hotel. I am satisfied with the timeliness of Viking's communication and am confident they will everything possible to make our trip enjoyable.

thank you for posting we are cruising in December with Viking, enjoy your trio

We were on the same cruise as noted on this post. As for the comment 'all at Viking expense' please note the 'expense' to Viking is negative to their cash flow/margins. The cost for bus transportation is about 20 Euro's p/passenger and so is much lower than the cost of operating their ships. Bus transportation and meals provided by someone other than Viking is cash flow positive to Viking. This is a huge reason why Viking is not communicating, in advance, with passengers on river conditions as they would be cash flow negative if passengers with cancelled (those who insured their trip). Viking is in business to make money so bussing between cities is in their best interest, versus canceling the cruise.