prices for separate rooms

bobbye7

My daughter and I want to book a Feb. 2015 cruise for our birthdays, but she wants her own room/cabin. I am 74 and on a fixed income so I really can't afford the larger size cabins. I like the Norwegian Epic's solo rooms but the total price is a bit much for me -- $886 for a 7 day cruise. I'm trying to keep the price in the $500 to $600 range. Is that possible if we have separate rooms?

Thanks,

Bobbye7:confused:

My daughter and I want to book a Feb. 2015 cruise for our birthdays, but she wants her own room/cabin. I am 74 and on a fixed income so I really can't afford the larger size cabins. I like the Norwegian Epic's solo rooms but the total price is a bit much for me -- $886 for a 7 day cruise. I'm trying to keep the price in the $500 to $600 range. Is that possible if we have separate rooms?

Thanks,

I doubt it for a 7 day cruise. You could probably do it on a 4 day cruise. Two people in a cabin is the most economical way for two people to sail.

Unless you do a solo cabin, the two of you will be paying for 4 people. Cruise lines have what's known as a single supplement for those who occupy a cabin as a solo.

I realize that the $886 for a 7 day cruise sounds like a lot for someone who's never cruised and is on a fixed income, it's really a very good price. The only way you're going to find a cruise in your price range is to find a three day cruise to the Bahamas, which I do not recommend, or share a cabin with your daughter.

I'm thinking now maybe we should go on another line and look for a larger cabin than the standard to share. Checking elsewhere in the forums, several people have said the NCL Epic is a rocky ship and my daughter is prone to seasickness. Plus, I haven't seen more than 3 stars on the Epic's reviews. Any ideas for a bigger cabin at around $900 per person, including fees?

I'm thinking now maybe we should go on another line and look for a larger cabin than the standard to share. Checking elsewhere in the forums, several people have said the NCL Epic is a rocky ship and my daughter is prone to seasickness. Plus, I haven't seen more than 3 stars on the Epic's reviews. Any ideas for a bigger cabin at around $900 per person, including fees?

Look at Carnival - several sailings from Miami in February in your price range - certainly inside cabins as well as some ocean view should be under $900 per.

If you have never been on a cruise before keep in mind that even with a larger cabin that you can share there is really not much privacy. You will have 2 twin beds next to each other and share the closet and bathroom. A "large" cabin is in reality smaller than your typical hotel room. Look at the newer ship of Royal Caribbean and Carnival. If you can swing a balcony cabin at least that gives you another place to hang out.

Cruise prices vary greatly according to time of year. Feb in Caribbean near high season.Take a look at Inside cabins for two early-mid January.Insides among best travel buys out there.OR, for lowest pricing of year, first 10-14 days of December. Always good weather and not crowded in Caribbean.Most cabins about the same size. Only addition a window or balcony, at double the cost.

Edited by zoncom

Have you thought about going to a local travel agency? They won't cost you a thing and they might have what's known as "group bookings" where they may be able to offer you a lower price. But regardless, if you and your daughter book separate cabins, you're going to, in reality, pay for four people.

Never experienced bad 'rocking' on the EPIC we had good weather though, but any ship is going to rock during storms/rough seas. The new ships are all very stable and if your daughter is prone to seasickness she should get a prescription for generic Meclizine (I got a 30 pill supply for just over $3.00 here in Chicago).

You need to really look at prices through a wholesaler or large online travel agency where you can see prices, sail dates and cruise lengths of most major cruise lines all at once glance.

Hello,

I spent a long time entering all my cruises, but when I copied the 'ticker' and tried to paste it in my empty Signature section, I was told it was too large to upload. I don't know how to get rid of all the ship photos below the Cruising Profile. I'm sure they're taking up a lot of space, but I can't seem to delete them. I just want the simple profile. Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

The price is for a single cabin. She can pay for own room if she can.

Carnival has sales and sometimes it's with out the solo supplement. Keep checking and you or have your daughter do some faux bookings. Go through like you are booking to get a price - but don't put in the credit card.

I have upcoming trips without the solo supplement. After taxes I am paying 349.xx to 563.xx traveling as a solo in a porthole room for 6 and 7 days.

Other than that - book interior and book low floors - they are cheaper rooms and carnival offers a discount for older travelers too.

Edited by tbbtravels