Formal Wear?

Formal night varies. Some will be in Tux/ formal gown- all the way to nice slacks and dressy top. I wore a simple black dress the first night and second formal night- I wore a Maxi dress . Be comfortable. Most men wore dress slacks and a shirt. Ties were about half.

Formal night varies. Some will be in Tux/ formal gown- all the way to nice slacks and dressy top. I wore a simple black dress the first night and second formal night- I wore a Maxi dress . Be comfortable. Most men wore dress slacks and a shirt. Ties were about half.

Per above, absolutely no need for the tux/gown thing unless that's what you want to wear. ;)

LuLu

Nice slacks and a nice top will do fine.

Most men wear dress shirts or Polos, no ties.

Some are old holdouts like us. ;)

I either wear a black tux, or white dinner jacket, and DW wears a dressy dress and some bling.

As long as you are not in gym shorts and a wife beater, you will be fine.

I am probably the exception to the rule.. however, I will be wearing a tux and my wife will be wearing a evening dress. Formal night is the only time we ever get to "dress to the Nine's" and we want to take advantage of it. (We are also both in our 60s, which might make a difference.)

However, wear what you think is acceptable and damn the torpedoes.

QTPie :cool:

Loved wearing a tux but DW put the kibosh on it. She got tired of lugging a dress. I used to rent the tux on-board but now I'm a suit and tie guy. I think she was jealous that I didn't have to pack formal wear. :rolleyes:

We are new to cruises. We will have one formal night on our cruise on the Enchantment of the Sea. How formal is formal? Cocktail dresses, maxi dress with jewlery? I am not one to dress up much so need to purchase something and want to be sure what to get.

Thanks

Is everyone who is answering paying attention to the fact that she is asking about the Enchantment, which only does 3 and 4 night cruises now?

Scsoccermom, wear whatever "nice" outfit you already own or feel like buying. There will be no "fashion pressure" on your cruise. No worries. But you WILL become addicted to cruising. ;)

I will be on the enchantment next week, and if I see a SINGLE tuxedo on a guest, you will be hearing about an Alpha, Alpha, Alpha call!!!!!!! :eek: ;)

We are new to cruises. We will have one formal night on our cruise on the Enchantment of the Sea. How formal is formal? Cocktail dresses, maxi dress with jewlery? I am not one to dress up much so need to purchase something and want to be sure what to get.

Thanks

RCCL does NOT have a mandatory Dress Code rather it's only a "Suggested Guideline" and clearly states that on its website.

3 & 4 day cruises such as on the Enchantment tend to be more casual in nature. You most definitely do NOT have to go out and purchase anything special endless of course you really want to. Just wear what you're comfortable wearing . FYI I just wear black slacks with a Black top and than dress it up with either a scarf or jewelry.

Go and enjoy !

Nice slacks and a nice top will do fine.

Most men wear dress shirts or Polos, no ties.

Some are old holdouts like us. ;)

I either wear a black tux, or white dinner jacket, and DW wears a dressy dress and some bling.

As long as you are not in gym shorts and a wife beater, you will be fine.

I just returned from Allure on Sunday. I would normally think this was very funny, but last week I saw everything in the MDR even on formal night - INCLUDING PLENTY OF GYM SHORTS, SWIM TRUNKS AND WIFE BEATERS.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post. C'Mon people - at least make some effort. I saw a couple that looked like they just got mugged in central park. OH well

Well I don't know who these other posters are looking at on formal nights, but on all our cruises, even the Carnival ones, a clear majority of the men wore suit and tie. At minimum, 65% .(except the Windjammer one of course) Maybe only another 5 to 10 percent in tuxes. And the more casual fellows were mostly at early seating. Those eating later, were usually more nicely dressed. For the ladies, you see a majority wearing black and some silver color outfits. Black flowy, palazzo type pants, or long skirts with a sparkly top, is a common outfit. Many in ankle length dresses. (certainly more long lengths, as opposed to knee length.) Lots of the younger gals wore some extremely short prom type dresses, with very high heels, nicely done hair dos. The famous, "little black dress" does nicely if accessorized to look dressy. (Black hose, heels, and your showiest bling) Do not think "sun dress", as that would not fit the bill.

It is true, the shorter the cruise, the more casual outfits you will see. But the only reason you see Khakis and polos on formal night is that so many posters on this boards keep talking new cruisers into showing up in less than appropriate clothing on formal night.

If you ask certain questions, like this one, on this board, you can't be certain that the info you get is what you need to hear, or what these posters want you to think. Think about it honestly; your host for this cruise is Royal Caribbean, and they have designated a "Formal Night". Unfortunately lots of posters here try to read that to mean: "How sloppy can I get before they throw me out of the dining room night?" Royal pretty clearly says what they would like you to wear. "Formal". Anyone who says Khaki pants are formal wear is feeding you a line of bull, and everyone knows it.

Is everyone who is answering paying attention to the fact that she is asking about the Enchantment, which only does 3 and 4 night cruises now?

Scsoccermom, wear whatever "nice" outfit you already own or feel like buying. There will be no "fashion pressure" on your cruise. No worries. But you WILL become addicted to cruising. ;)

I will be on the enchantment next week, and if I see a SINGLE tuxedo on a guest, you will be hearing about an Alpha, Alpha, Alpha call!!!!!!! :eek: ;)

Yes...Last year on the Enchantment, wore a Tux, last May, on Vision 4 day, I wore a Dinner jacket, next month on Majesty I will wear a tux!

And I do agree we are in the big minority.

Again, OP wear what your family is comfortable in.

Edited by Fla Mike

I usually don't post on these "what should I wear on formal night" threads, but I just felt the urge tonight.

Yes, Royal does host a 'formal' night, in the hopes many will dress a bit 'dressier' that night and pay hommage to cruise days past when everyone wore their 'Titanic' finery. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on which camp you reside in, that just isn't the case anymore. The idea of Black Tux on some ships has gone the way of the corded telephone and tube tv. I think it is a combination of cruising becoming more 'family friendly' and buying a tux for an 8-year-old isn't something most want to do as they will most likely grow out of it before the next cruise. Baggage restrictions have also put a big damper on formalwear as suits, ties, pants, dresses, dress shoes, etc tend to make a suitcase pretty darn heavy (and therefore, expensive), especially if you have formalwear for four for 2 formal nights. I know this from experience.

That being said, I enjoy dressing up. I am from Maine. We have very cold winters and very warm summers and I hardly ever get to wear a fancy dress and have a nice family picture taken. I do lug all that stuff in my suitcase, and sometimes pay the price for that extra heavy suitcase, although I am a super duper packer (thanks, Dad!). Some chose not to. Some people want to be more casual on their vacation, and in my opinion, that's ok too. The way I see it, what you wear in the dining room is not going to affect the taste of my food one bit, so you wear what you want and I'll wear what I want and we'll both enjoy our vacations! :)

Remember: Don't sweat the petty stuff...and don't pet the sweaty stuff!:p