Gastro prevention

jakes47

I have just read in this morning’s paper Princess cruise passengers were struck down with a “particularly violent bout of gastroenteritis”. This is our biggest fear when cruising.

One the main things that impressed us about Oceania were the gloved servers in the buffet area and I am sure this practice greatly reduces the chance of cross contamination.

Is this a common practice on all upper premium cruise lines?

On our last Oceania cruise one man expressed his annoyance at not being able to serve himself. As for me -I was grateful not to be handling the serving utensils that hundreds had handled before me.

I know that bugs can spread very quickly on a cruise ships but preventative measures such as this, the use of hand sanitizers and frequent hand washing must greatly reduce the risk of gastro outbreaks.

I have just read in this morning’s paper Princess cruise passengers were struck down with a “particularly violent bout of gastroenteritis”. This is our biggest fear when cruising.

One the main things that impressed us about Oceania were the gloved servers in the buffet area and I am sure this practice greatly reduces the chance of cross contamination.

Is this a common practice on all upper premium cruise lines?

On our last Oceania cruise one man expressed his annoyance at not being able to serve himself. As for me -I was grateful not to be handling the serving utensils that hundreds had handled before me.

I know that bugs can spread very quickly on a cruise ships but preventative measures such as this, the use of hand sanitizers and frequent hand washing must greatly reduce the risk of gastro outbreaks.

You are absolutely correct, but...

One of my pet peeves is that food handlers wearing gloves will touch many other things (kitchen doors, refrigerator doors, trays, etc, etc) and then handle food with their gloved hands (not utensils) as if these gloved hands remained sterile and clean forever, no matter what else they touched in between. :(

One of my pet peeves is that food handlers wearing gloves will touch many other things (kitchen doors, refrigerator doors, trays, etc, etc) and then handle food with their gloved hands (not utensils) as if these gloved hands remained sterile and clean forever, no matter what else they touched in between. :(

+1

This reminded me of a local snack place in the mall ..

the guy carefully put on his gloves made our food order

then went to the cash took our $ gave us change

then went back to serving the next customer ..all the while wearing the same gloves :eek:

Oh dear :( - I didn't see anything like that and I was watching from time to time during both cruises so I was really impressed.

Of course, hand washing & hand sanitizers are important. We do so religiously and carry our own Purell bottle about. But GI problems are not only from food handling. Onboard, all of us touch railings, elevator buttons, books, pepper and salt shakers, door handles.

Unfortunately, some insist on less-than adult hygiene practices. I personally have sadly seen a good number of male pax in Oceania public toilets...exiting without even the most minimal hand washing. Upon leaving, their filthy fingers infect two door handles for the next unwitting guest.

My point is the culprit is not always food handlers. I have had violent GI episodes on Riviera twice so I empathize with the points above. I only wish those constant urgings onboard are taken to heart and followed by tone deaf (selfish?) fellow guests!

To answer the question as to whether the way Oceania handles food (using gloves to serve guests) is common in the premium market. I can only speak for the luxury market but it is definitely not a common practice. Regent and Silversea guests serve themselves (for better or worse). I simply use a napkin to grasp the handle of the serving utensils.

IMO, I am more worried about the salt and pepper shakers, ketchup, mustard and other condiment bottles and menu's that may not be cleaned after they are picked up from the table than I am about cross contamination when taking food from the buffet.

In over 20 cruises, my DH has had an intestinal problem once. I have gotten numerous colds from sitting in areas (like buses) with people coughing behind me and not covering their mouths.

That is interesting that Regent lets people serve themselves, as I assumed Regent and Oceania were pretty similar.

I have read that cruise ships are NOT the major place where norovirus occurs, but of course, there are other forms of GI distress than norovirus. Also, there are other things that can cause upset - like simply eating unusual food or food that our bodies had not adjusted to. We were afraid of getting sick in China for that reason. Luckily neither of us did.

I think the Centers for Disease Control or similar government agency publishes a list of cruise lines that have reported GI outbreaks. The results were a little surprising to me. I was happy to see that Oceania wasn't mentioned often. I also read something that confirmed Travelcat2's fears that things like menus were the most germy...

I also read something that confirmed Travelcat2's fears that things like menus were the most germy...

I agree. You can wash your hands before dinner and then you pick up the menu and then you have some bread (of course by hands, not utensils).

It is simple enough to have a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you (in purse or pocket) and wash your hands after handling the menu (if one is concerned).

Edited by Paulchili

I carry those little bottles of hand sanitizers from Bath and Body Works and bring one out after ordering in restaurants. My husband and I have turned into Monk...

I have RA, and take an injectable medication which lowers my immune system, so I am very vulnerable to germs and all that. We have been very lucky on our cruises, and the only stomach issues have been from motion sickness on very rough seas.

We have been very lucky on our cruises, and the only stomach issues have been from motion sickness on very rough seas.

Luck -- the only thing standing between all of us and Norovirus. Hand sanitizers help, hand wishing helps, being served at the buffet helps -- but as has been mentioned, there are so many things we touch that it is impossible to avoid getting sick without some luck being involved.

I think in the grand scheme of things Oceania has not really had any major outbreaks that I have seen

On one trip we did have something going around found out later it was e-coli

I am very careful what I touch & wash or use the sanitizers

Lyn