Celebrity offering good $ exchange rate at the moment

wales4ever

Just read this comment and decided to do the same. I had asked TA if I could upgrade but they said I would have to wait till I board. I wanted to have most things sorted and paid for before we go.

However I rang the 0844 number and in a surprisingly short time I was put through to a really pleasant lady. I have now upgraded both our packages for a 14 day cruise at £189.98. That is £6.785 per person per day. Well worth it for the increased choice.

Thank you for mentioning this as I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Should you miss the office hours you can also buy obc from the 'gift' section online.

One part of the website that worked well:)

You can purchase OBC online but it does require human intervention. If busy, there may be a large backlog leading to confusion about whether the transaction has gone through or, even, the purchase being lost. It is much better to telephone when you will receive confirmation straightaway. If you do use the website, the only way to know if and when it has gone through is seeing the charge on your credit card.

Should you miss the office hours you can also buy obc from the 'gift' section online.

One part of the website that worked well:)

I tried to buy it online, but it kept saying it didnt recognise my reservation number!

After a few times trying with no success, I phoned instead.

The agent said they were having a few prolems with the website today.

Project_Gal, I bought my OBC over the phone earlier today, and the agent said the payment had gone through.

She said she would email confirmation, but as yet I havent received it.

Its been a couple of hours, should I give it a day or two, then phone or do it later today, as it doesnt show up anywhere on my booking?

Thanks Project Gal,

I did receive immediate email confirmation, but no detail of the transaction, so I emailed and asked for this - it arrived from Miami within 2 hours.I take your point and will check my cc statement tomorrow.

Edited by waggie
addition

Here is my experience from today.

I have been following the exchange rate for some time and promted by the OP decided the time was right to buy OBC at the Celebrity rate for our cruise in October.

I used the Gifts by Celebrity site to buy a number of units, each line is limited to 9 units, but you can add as many lines as you want, and the site worked fine. My credit card details were accepted and i placed the order. I then immediately printed off the order summary....given as as option on the final screen. My print is timed at 17:00 UK time.

Timed at 18:15 i received a email from GGwebservice@rccl.com saying they had received an order from me that contained all my credit card details but not what i tried to buy.

I replied at 18:29 telling them what i had ordered and pointing out that the order number they quoted in their email heading was different to the one shown on my printed Order Summary.

At 18:29 i got confimation that my email had been received and the order had been processed and a confirmation email had been sent.

Also timed at 18:29 i received the confirmation with an email attached invoice showing my purchase of OBC in UK pounds.

On balance i am not sure how to rate this..an absolutely rubbish IT system, but backed up with excellent personal intervention.

I would be interested in others views.

I suppose on balance i would say buying OBC online works fine...by the way, i did the same last year and it worked perfectly.

Thanks to Project_Gal for repeatedly posting on this site that manual intervention was required when buying OBC on line. Until today i was not convinced.....now i am!

You can purchase OBC online but it does require human intervention. If busy, there may be a large backlog leading to confusion about whether the transaction has gone through or, even, the purchase being lost. It is much better to telephone when you will receive confirmation straightaway. If you do use the website, the only way to know if and when it has gone through is seeing the charge on your credit card.

I normally buy OBC through the gifts section of the website and have done for most of the cruises I've taken. As you say the only way to know it's gone through is when it comes off your card and although I've never had a problem with it you always do wonder....... Until today! Last night I bought $400 of OBC through the gifts section of the website as normal and today I received a proper email confirmation of the amount paid in £ and that it was for OBC. Wonders never do cease! :eek: a proper invoice for OBC! :eek:

I wasn't able to buy OBC online for a few months. Then maybe two weeks ago it finally recognised my reservation number. Received an immediate email then a couple of days later, a confirmation email and my credit card has been charged. It's working now without human intervention.

Project_Gal, I bought my OBC over the phone earlier today, and the agent said the payment had gone through.

She said she would email confirmation, but as yet I havent received it.

Its been a couple of hours, should I give it a day or two, then phone or do it later today, as it doesnt show up anywhere on my booking?

You may have received a confirmation invoice by email. [Perhaps check your spam folder or old email addresses - I still receive mine in an old email address despite updating it everywhere online!] If so, the OBC now shows on that - usually near the bottom of page 3 [if my memory serves me correctly. Often the confirmation invoices are not received until midnight following the event that triggers it.

Edited by Project_gal

Has any UK person bought OBC after they booked their cruise through a US agent?

When I have tried to purchase OBC online, it thinks I am from the US, and will charge my credit card in USD, therefore have to take the prevailing rate, rather than Celebrity's current rate.

My understanding [thanks to Cruise Critic] is that all transactions for a cruise have to be made in the currency in which the cruise was booked. It is one of the disadvantages of buying though a US TA.

You can phone the 01932 834300 number and select through the various options. I did it a couple of weeks ago and it was very efficiently handled.

Paid our Beverage upgrade to premium using the 01932 today.

Not only did I get through within a minute or too but saved money as well:) The upgrade was £6.785 PPPD which is cheaper than we paid last time and the call was cheaper than an 0844 number:D so saving all along the way

Thanks for the tips

I've booked through a US Travel Agent and my booking appears in AUD.

Pushka - can you confirm that the transaction appeared in AUD for you? I purchased OBC yesterday and it was in AUD but my CC has now been charged with the USD amount of the OBC I bought - so instead of seeing AUD200 on my CC, I am seeing AUD218 being charged to my account instead? :confused: