Pretty Disappointed in Princess...

TracieABD

I think they should honour what their website was programmed to accept. Yes, they acknowledge the error is theirs, but that is where their graciousness ends.

I'm all for getting an awesome deal, but I have to ask: Where does your graciousness begin and end? When someone makes a mistake in your favor and catches it later, do you always just say "TS" and hold them to it and refuse to let them off the hook?

I'm all for getting an awesome deal, but I have to ask: Where does your graciousness begin and end? When someone makes a mistake in your favor and catches it later, do you always just say "TS" and hold them to it and refuse to let them off the hook?

I don't think Princess will go broke if they honor the price they first offered. If a doctor amputates my left foot when it should have been the right one, I'm not going to be "gracious" about it because he just "made a mistake." OP is only asking that Princess honor the deal they made.

I don't think Princess will go broke if they honor the price they first offered.
The OP will not drop dead, either, if they show a little honor here. Princess didn't mean to offer this price; the booking was allowed by mistake. We're not talking about an irreparable error here, like your amputation example. Everything can go back to the way it was before the mistake happened. No one loses anything unfairly and no one gains anything unfairly. The OP has been offered $100 for the misunderstanding, if they choose to take this cruise in a different stateroom.

You're right, Princess will not go broke if they agree to sell this suite for half the price they intended to. They will simply raise the prices on everyone else's next cruise, so you and I can foot the bill for the OP's opportunistic behavior.

I guess I was lucky earlier this summer- Princess left the "10" off of the per person price of $1049 for a balcony on Regal- I booked it for $49 each for the two of us, received an email the next day, saying it was a glitch, but they honored the price!:)

Princess should honor what was originally agreed upon, its the right thing to do. Consumers have rights too....

Princess is saying "just kidding, you thought you got a great deal. You have to pay several thousand more for that room" AFTER the deposit was made, that is just not right...

It is odd how some people on this thread have characterized the OP as "dishonorable" and "ungracious" because she paid for something and then told she had to give it all back because of a Princess error. Just because you would roll over and say "okay" (and would you, really?) doesn't mean there is anything immoral about the OP asking to get what she paid for.

I guess I was lucky earlier this summer- Princess left the "10" off of the per person price of $1049 for a balcony on Regal- I booked it for $49 each for the two of us, received an email the next day, saying it was a glitch, but they honored the price!:)

Wow!!! What a deal! It was nice that they honored it. Enjoy your cruise if you have not yet taken it.

The OP will not drop dead, either, if they show a little honor here. Princess didn't mean to offer this price; the booking was allowed by mistake. We're not talking about an irreparable error here, like your amputation example. Everything can go back to the way it was before the mistake happened. No one loses anything unfairly and no one gains anything unfairly. The OP has been offered $100 for the misunderstanding, if they choose to take this cruise in a different stateroom.

You're right, Princess will not go broke if they agree to sell this suite for half the price they intended to. They will simply raise the prices on everyone else's next cruise, so you and I can foot the bill for the OP's opportunistic behavior.

I have to say, I take exception to being accused of opportunistic behavior. I saw the booking; I made the booking; I placed a hefty deposit on the booking. I even double checked with the booking agent that this was correct. To call one opportunistic is to imply that they exploited without consideration for general morale or principal. Very harsh choice of words, indeed. I will have to chalk this up to a case of "keyboard courage".

I have to say, I take exception to being accused of opportunistic behavior. I saw the booking; I made the booking; I placed a hefty deposit on the booking. I even double checked with the booking agent that this was correct. To call one opportunistic is to imply that they exploited without consideration for general morale or principal. Very harsh choice of words, indeed. I will have to chalk this up to a case of "keyboard courage".

Indeed, the point I was trying to make. Why are these people apologists for Princess? Are they on the payroll?

Indeed, the point I was trying to make. Why are these people apologists for Princess? Are they on the payroll?

Ironically, no one loves Princess more than me, in spite of this pretty major hiccup. I really am a Princess cheerleader. With that said, I feel they have made an error, should accept responsibility for said error, and maintain the original agreement.

But that is just me...

There was nothing opportunistic about the initial booking and deposit. Up to that point, it was just an incredible bargain. But then you found out that it was in fact too good to be true, and that they would be unable to maintain the erroneous booking. At that point, refusing to allow them to rectify the error and looking for legal advice to force them to give you an unintended 50% discount, that is opportunistic and I stand by that.

Have you never made a mistake and been grateful that other person "rolled over" and worked with you to fix it instead of taking advantage of you?

By all means, continue to push back. You might get your $5000 Family Suite. After all, Princess can afford it. They will make up the lost revenue somewhere else, either little by little, or who knows, they might just take the missing $5000 out of your phone rep's paychecks. That'll teach her, eh? Also, I hope you will be extra generous with your room steward, because they rely on having four or more paying guests in that suite, not just two.

And for the record, I never called you dishonorable or ungracious, much less immoral. I stated what I think is the most honorable and gracious thing to do in your situation, but not doing that thing doesn't automatically make you a bad person.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Did you get an emailed confirmation with pricing, other than verbal. If so, they should honor it. Without that, there is no way to claim the value and probably just let it drop (even if Princess error in this case, without some form of verification, they simply can't honor a claim of 'but the rep said...'

There was nothing opportunistic about the initial booking and deposit. Up to that point, it was just an incredible bargain. But then you found out that it was in fact too good to be true, and that they would be unable to maintain the erroneous booking. At that point, refusing to allow them to rectify the error and looking for legal advice to force them to give you an unintended 50% discount, that is opportunistic and I stand by that.

Have you never made a mistake and been grateful that other person "rolled over" and worked with you to fix it instead of taking advantage of you?

By all means, continue to push back. You might get your $5000 Family Suite. After all, Princess can afford it. They will make up the lost revenue somewhere else, either little by little, or who knows, they might just take the missing $5000 out of your phone rep's paychecks. That'll teach her, eh? Also, I hope you will be extra generous with your room steward, because they rely on having four or more paying guests in that suite, not just two.

And for the record, I never called you dishonorable or ungracious, much less immoral. I stated what I think is the most honorable and gracious thing to do in your situation, but not doing that thing doesn't automatically make you a bad person.

In truth, I am not interested in the family suite. This was the only suite available when I was booking. I was looking for a suite. The family suite popped up at an excellent price, and I went with that. I actually would have preferred a PH or OS, as we don't require that amount of room.

And yes, as a college professor and ex-arbitrator, I have made mistakes. When those errors were discovered, I always did what I could do to maintain the original agreement, if it benefited the other. If it did not, I would do what I could to give that person the absolute benefit of the doubt. If I score a test and make an error that allows the student an A when indeed, they should have received a C, I allow the student the A. The mistake was mine. Now, I will sit and conference with the student to let them know, had I not made an error, their test would have earned them a C, but because I made the mistake, I will honour it. I would also use that conference as a re-teaching moment.

As far as making the statement that they would subtract the difference (which is in fact $2500, not $5000), from the reservation reps check, I find that to be a bit over-reaching and dramatic. Though, it may be a good example of a re-training moment.

When I spoke with customer relations today, they asked me to send all of the paperwork that stated the quote. It will go to management for a decision. I am waiting for their decision.

Edited by TracieABD

Did you get an emailed confirmation with pricing, other than verbal. If so, they should honor it. Without that, there is no way to claim the value and probably just let it drop (even if Princess error in this case, without some form of verification, they simply can't honor a claim of 'but the rep said...'

I did have an email confirmation, and I have sent that to customer service. Once they accepted my deposit at the price stated on the reservation confirmation, we entered a contract. I am hoping this will resolve soon.

Sweetness and light. :) I, too, was a college professor, (must be the opportunists stick together, eh?) and I adopted the same practices Tracie outlined. If I made a mistake, I did not punish the student for it. My mistake meant I had to take responsibility for it. All she is asking for here is for Princess to take responsibility for their mistake. Here, I thought taking personal responsibility was all the rage. I guess that does not apply to corporations (especially ones for which you seem to have a blind and undying devotion.)

Edited by shredie

I did have an email confirmation, and I have sent that to customer service. Once they accepted my deposit at the price stated on the reservation confirmation, we entered a contract. I am hoping this will resolve soon.

I truly hope that they follow through with what you were offered, I will be a heck of a lot more confident as their customer about how the conduct business.

I truly hope that they follow through with what you were offered, I will be a heck of a lot more confident as their customer about how the conduct business.

I hope so too.

I see that you have a Golden cruise to Alaska. I did that cruise and loved it! As a matter of fact, that was the cruise that hooked my husband!

This deal is a hiccup. In the grand scheme of things, just a bump in the road. I want Princess to hold up their end of the bargain, but if they don't, no baby seals will perish.

We have all known there is a pretty big disconnect between Princess CS and the actual cruise. And I love to cruise with Princess. :)

I hope so too.

I see that you have a Golden cruise to Alaska. I did that cruise and loved it! As a matter of fact, that was the cruise that hooked my husband!

This deal is a hiccup. In the grand scheme of things, just a bump in the road. I want Princess to hold up their end of the bargain, but if they don't, no baby seals will perish.

We have all known there is a pretty big disconnect between Princess CS and the actual cruise. And I love to cruise with Princess. :)

Im so excited to go!!!!! Really the cruise for me is more about the destination then the cruise line. Although I completely understand loyalty to a stand up company. This will be my first cruise, we will see how we feel about this form of travel. I'm pretty sure I'll love the ship, its floating resort! Haha they are beautiful, so I've heard.

I for one think Princess should also stand by their product and their agreement, your a loyal customer, its the principle of the matter!! I say go all the way to the top and see what they say..why not?? Good luck :)

I would agree, although the contract has terms that would let them drag this out quite a bit if they wanted to (arbitration clauses, etc).

Hi Friends-

My mom and i are traveling to Indonesia on the Sapphire in January. This cruise appears to be close to sold out. There are no suites or minis available for quite some time.

As I was stalking the website, I noticed a family suite came open and they were offering it for $2300 per person. I jumped on it and booked it through the internet. I called the next day to put down the deposit. The deposit was accepted and my card was charged. I repeatedly asked the rep if this was acceptable for just 2 of us. She repeatedly stated it was. We were quoted a price of approx $4900 (after taxes and port fees).

I, then, turned the reservation over to my TA.

Later, on the phone with a Princess rep from customer service, we were told that we should not have been able to book that room AND we could not have that room for just 2 of us. I then received an email booking us into suite B107- premium suite for $7500 for the two of us!:eek:

In spite of the fact that this is their error, they have been unwilling to budge on price, instead they have offered $100 OBC and dinner at Sterling.

I think they should honour what their website was programmed to accept. Yes, they acknowledge the error is theirs, but that is where their graciousness ends.

Needless to say, we are very disappointed in Princess right now. Not sure what to do. Do we have any legal standing?

First of all, sorry about the issues with your family suite booking. I can understand the frustration!

I see that you had joined our roll call for the 1/13/15 Sapphire sailing some time ago. Are you on the 10 day itinerary? If so, the Princess website is currently showing 3 mini-suites available. If the family suite doesn't work out for you, perhaps you can try for one of the mini's.

Hope everything works out for you either way.

Edited by RJ2002