Unreimbursed Airfare

bobnpaty

I posted a thread with a different title that reported these issues yesterday and it got quite a few responses. I checked it this morning and the thread was gone. I did a search for key words and the related postings were listed but the links would not work. Although I was not praising or demeaning them, I did mention the name of my travel agent which is not in accordance with the community guidelines. Under the assumption that naming the travel agency caused the removal, that text has been removed and there are no statements listed below that cannot be verified.

We signed up for a cruise on Celebrity’s Century’s April 5th sailing going from Dubai, through the Suez Canal to Rome. Exactly one week after booking the cruise Celebrity notified our Travel Agent that the sailing was being cancelled and redeployed. The new itinerary was one night shorter and was going to Singapore with 4 stops in India. We told our travel agent to cancel our booking because we wanted Europe not Asia and we had no desire to see the ports in India. Nine alternative sailings were offered at the lowest available rate but they were Asian itineraries as well.

Imagine our surprise when the travel agent explained that the $3,374 airfare charge would NOT be refunded. We booked the air through Celebrity. It was their sister company ChoiceAir that was the one refusing the refund. The travel agent appealed our case to both Celebrity and ChoiceAir but full reimbursement was flat out rejected. I tried calling Celebrity Customer Service Department myself but they continued to stonewall me on the issue.

We are Captains Club Elite Tier cruisers. We did not cancel for our own convenience; Celebrity cancelled the cruise itinerary and substituted one so completely different that it was unusable for us. And they did it within a week of our booking! You can feel free to repost the comments that were made to my original thread.

FYI: The title of the removed thread was Celebrity not taking responsibility for their actions

Celebrity Cruises has answered you in the second post - they provided contact information so they can review your situation...I suggest you do so. Best of Luck...they have a pretty good record here I believe on helping folks.

Edited by alexspepa

I get the squeaky wheel gets the oil train of thought

But I have to agree with ALEXSPEPA

This is your 3rd Post... CC Member CELEBRITY CRUISES replied on the first & this one... And even posted a separate topic for your attention after your second post

They have reached out to you... Now I think it is time you reached out / back to them in good faith... That is how successful negotiations work

Heck it seems to me they are even willing to work with you directly and not thru the TA... Which would normally be the case

Other than that...

I am not sure what else you want from this Post # 3

Morale support you got from lots of other CC Members yesterday. Are you looking for more... Or is it a case of wanting to connect with some who were destined for the same cruise

If the latter... Then I suggest you check in on the Roll Call Forum... I am guessing that is where you will have the most success all discussing this issue together... As I assume there was an already established Roll Call (as you are new to CC, I will take a look see if I cannot find the relative RC for you and post the link here for you)

Cheers!

Roll Call found...

Celebrity Roll Call (Century - April 5, 2015 - Dubai to Rome) = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958631

Good luck to you all.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I thank Sloop-JohnB for providing the Rollcall link. I notice that the last posting to it was in December 2013, and since the sailing has been cancelled there will be nobody looking at it now. And, for what it's worth, I am not new to the forum; it lists my join date as October 2012.

I did, of course, reply immediately to Celebrity's posted link offering to "take a look at this". Their response was made to my third attempt at posting on this issue. The first two submittals had been arbitrarily removed with no notification or explanation to the OP or to the Cruise Critic community at large. Does it not concern anybody that the cruise line can apply influence to pull a thread that they are not comfortable with?

I thank Sloop-JohnB for providing the Rollcall link. I notice that the last posting to it was in December 2013, and since the sailing has been cancelled there will be nobody looking at it now. And, for what it's worth, I am not new to the forum; it lists my join date as October 2012.

What you looked at on the Rollcall was the first post of a long thread that as of today, has 597 posts. Go to the last page and you will see an on-going discussion about the cancelled cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958631&page=15.

Garry

Hello,

Just as a FYI: We didn't ask for the post removed.

Just to clarify, I removed the 2 earlier threads, as the OP mentioned a Travel agency, which is not permitted.

Edited by Host Andy

Just to clarify, I removed the 2 earlier threads, as the OP mentioned a Travel agency, which is not permitted.

Hi HOST ANDY

That was exactly what I thought happened...

And also why I gave the Poster a heads up on their first post, in hopes that they would self edit (guess they did not know how to do that)

Cheers!

I agree with the "sloopster" (who generally provides sage advice) and would add that Celebrity is not in the business of upsetting clients nor getting them to buy thru Choice Air so they can keep the OP's money on cancelled cruises. I would strongly suspect that you will find some way to resolve this to your satisfaction (especially after reading the Celebrity posts earlier)--as has been suggested by others on this thread (and your previous threads as well)

By the way, Host Andy's job is to find and freeze inappropriate posts-- a Job Host Andy does effectively and with kindness.

Please do let us know how this resolves --it will be important info whichever way it falls.

Edited by Hotel CA

This is correct, and is very confusing as to what Cruise Critic wants and expects from us on here, but we try.

I don't know what Cruise Critic wants...

But as a Celebrity Cruiser I appreciate the fact that you... (in this case the royal you = Celebrity) monitors this website.

Although, I do realize (some I suppose don't) that YOU are but one person / rep of the Co working in their Social Media sector

So YOU (one person) don't necessarily have all the answers, you merely are monitoring this Discussion Board on behalf of the company... And providing basic info / rerouting to others who may have the answers

In the same way that a Co Receptionist, or Telephone Operator, reroutes concerns

If THOSE PEOPLE (Departments) don't respond... Then it is not YOU who is at fault

The old "Don't shoot the messanger" theory

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This is correct, and is very confusing as to what Cruise Critic wants and expects from us on here, but we try.

Perhaps a more important question (and perhaps better answered as a separate thread) is what do your fellow posters expect. Personally I think Celebrity Cruises is most helpful in attempting to resolve issues between Celebrity, agents and passengers as in this thread. I think that you've been quite helpful in announcing program changes and clarifying policies. I believe that your participation is a two ways street and you can act as a bridge between Celebrity and customers. You read our ideas and concerns and communicate them to the proper staff at Celebrity. Your roll is fairly new and I believe it will go through a number of changes over time.

Perhaps a more important question (and perhaps better answered as a separate thread) is what do your fellow posters expect. Personally I think Celebrity Cruises is most helpful in attempting to resolve issues between Celebrity, agents and passengers as in this thread. I think that you've been quite helpful in announcing program changes and clarifying policies. I believe that your participation is a two ways street and you can act as a bridge between Celebrity and customers. You read our ideas and concerns and communicate them to the proper staff at Celebrity. Your roll is fairly new and I believe it will go through a number of changes over time.

If such a thread was started, we would happily participate. Cruise Critic is actually just one of a few things that we watch daily, including Social Media. :)

If such a thread was started, we would happily participate. Cruise Critic is actually just one of a few things that we watch daily, including Social Media. :)

Okay, I'll start one. Hopefully it provides useful information for both Celebrity and its passengers.

After seeing the replies I recognized that mentioning the travel agent name was a possible reason for removing the post. However, since the mention by name did not criticize nor compliment the travel agent that did not appear to be an issue worth pulling the thread for. I apologize for suggesting otherwise.

It looks like I also misread the posting sequence on the Rollcall thread. I guess I'm a bit of a newbie afterall!

The bottom line still stands. Celebrity has gone back on their word. As pointed out by several replies to original thread, there was a letter from Celebrity that my travel agent agent received at 10:56AM on 9/3/15 stating that "Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity will receive a full refund".

My travel agent continued to follow up on this issue and called me just not to say that my claim for full refund has again been rejected by Choice Air. The thread from Host Andy dated 7/22/11 (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449882) answers the question of who owns ChoiceAir.

After seeing the replies I recognized that mentioning the travel agent name was a possible reason for removing the post. However, since the mention by name did not criticize nor compliment the travel agent that did not appear to be an issue worth pulling the thread for. I apologize for suggesting otherwise.

It looks like I also misread the posting sequence on the Rollcall thread. I guess I'm a bit of a newbie afterall!

The bottom line still stands. Celebrity has gone back on their word. As pointed out by several replies to original thread, there was a letter from Celebrity that my travel agent agent received at 10:56AM on 9/3/15 stating that "Guests that booked air transportation through Celebrity will receive a full refund".

My travel agent continued to follow up on this issue and called me just not to say that my claim for full refund has again been rejected by Choice Air. The thread from Host Andy dated 7/22/11 (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449882) answers the question of who owns ChoiceAir.

Just curious...was your original Choice Air reservation a "refundable" reservation, or "non-refundable"? This may possibly be the issue.

If "non-refundable", I would contact the original chosen airline and inquire what their specific cancellation policies are. Maybe the funds can be transferred or held for a future flight.

Just curious...was your original Choice Air reservation a "refundable" reservation, or "non-refundable"? This may possibly be the issue.

If "non-refundable", I would contact the original chosen airline and inquire what their specific cancellation policies are. Maybe the funds can be transferred or held for a future flight.

Always good to check the nature of the flight, but I don't believe that it should make a difference in this case if the flight was refundable or non refundable since Celebrity cancelled the cruise. You need to have a Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or Azamara reservation to book with Choice Air. In my view, others may differ, once celebrity cancelled the cruise the reservation for air travel was also cancelled since the OP was no longer eligible for a Choice Air booking. Cancelation resulted from the cancelation of the cruise, not by any action taken by the OP or anyone else in this situation. I believe that one way or another those in this situation deserve to be made whole. The expense of reimbursement is perhaps an unintended consequence of the sale of Century.

Always good to check the nature of the flight, but I don't believe that it should make a difference in this case if the flight was refundable or non refundable since Celebrity cancelled the cruise. You need to have a Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or Azamara reservation to book with Choice Air. In my view, others may differ, once celebrity cancelled the cruise the reservation for air travel was also cancelled since the OP was no longer eligible for a Choice Air booking. Cancelation resulted from the cancelation of the cruise, not by any action taken by the OP or anyone else in this situation. I believe that one way or another those in this situation deserve to be made whole. The expense of reimbursement is perhaps an unintended consequence of the sale of Century.

Agreed.

All my Choice Air confirmations arrive under a Celebrity masthead and letterhead and contain the wording: "Thank you for purchasing your airline travel through Royal Caribbean International Ltd.and ChoiceAir"

Pretty clear. We've done many ChoiceAir bookings and never thought for a minute that if a cruise was cancelled--by the cruise company--that the air fare portion would not be refundable. No way the OP should be on the hook for nearly $3400 for no fault of their own.

Because "Celebrity Cruises" (the poster) has tried to reach you more than once I am asking this question.

Have contacted "Celebrity Cruises"? That is not the cruise line, but it is the poster who post on this site, and has offered to look into your situation if you contact them? They left you contact information.

If you have contacted "Celebrity Cruises" (the poster on this site) have they(the poster on this site) responded to you?

BTW "Celebrity Cruises" (the poster) did respond to you in your original thread. They requested that you contact them, and give them some info.

Just received word from my travel agent that Celebrity has agreed to refund my airfare in full. This came as a surprise to both of us because Celebrity had again refused reimbursement in a conversation with her earlier this morning. I will make a final statement and close this thread as soon as the credit has been processed to my account. Thank you all for weighing in on this issue.

Just received word from my travel agent that Celebrity has agreed to refund my airfare in full. This came as a surprise to both of us because Celebrity had again refused reimbursement in a conversation with her earlier this morning. I will make a final statement and close this thread as soon as the credit has been processed to my account. Thank you all for weighing in on this issue.

Now that is great news !!

Looking forward to your statement & analysis...

Hoping ultimately that your experience thru "this mess" will bear out some valuable insights for others (even if it is only to tell us the pitfalls and how to avoid / plan for them )

Again, happy for your good news

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

That is good news!

Make sure you post this outcome on the roll call for that cruise so that others who may be having the same issue know to press on.