Ripple app on a princess ship?

Grover_

I'll be trying the Ripple Cruise Communicator app on my cruise on the Emerald Princess this October and will report. I saw a report in the Technology Forum that it was tried on the Majesty of the Seas and it didn't work, so I am not optimistic.

I am curious about Ripple Cruise Communicator too (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ripple-cruise-communicator/id895489791?mt=8).

So some services clearly work intra-network, e.g. I can normally see other passengers' and crew members' iTunes libraries.

I also periodically even get trailing iMessages EVEN after disconnecting from WiFi via logout so there are clearly services that can work.

Specific experiences would be great.

I also periodically even get trailing iMessages EVEN after disconnecting from WiFi via logout.

Us too with the iMessages whith people who are NOT on the ship. Then we discovered that it isn't just working to receive messages after disconnecting, you can send messages as well. We have carried on long iMessage conversations while disconnected. It almost seems like it keeps working after disconnected until activity stops for some period of time and then it wont work again until you reconnect and log in.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I've answered this on several threads now.

For as long as the network maintains what is called an IP address lease on all devices it should work. Eventually, either due to a timeout or the IP being reassigned to a different device, it will disconnect and you will need to reconnect to the internet to let the devices sync up again.

How long the connection will last will be determined by a number of network settings that may vary from ship to ship and even day to day if they are using dynamic network tools (things like IP discovery, etc). If you can see people's itunes libraries, they are probably running pretty open and it will work longer.

I'm certain that as Princess and other lines become more aware of apps like these, they will lock down the ports they use.

I'm sailing in the next week and want to use it to communicate with my two teenaged kids while onboard. They have to buy the app, too, but it seems worth it. Still a bit confused on how it works but my son is a techie so he'll get me up to speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

I'm sailing in the next week and want to use it to communicate with my two teenaged kids while onboard. They have to buy the app, too, but it seems worth it. Still a bit confused on how it works but my son is a techie so he'll get me up to speed.

I wouldn't spend a lot, without know that it works. There

has not been a single report of such an app working on princess

...so far.

I tried several similar android apps on Carribbean Princess, and

they did not work.

I could broadcast a hello, but other users were not able to respond.

I don't think any station-to-station routing was configured

(nor would it need to be)

I could only ping the dhcp server, and no other nodes on the network.

I would be very interested if someone gets this to work.

This app is only to communicate with people who are also on the ship. Not sure if that's different from the iMessage experiences that have worked while not connected to wifi?

Trixie - I hope it works for you. I look forward to your report when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trixiegal, please let us know how it worked when you return.

I found this on Gambees site....he explains how it works:

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/2014/08/17/ripple-cruise-communicator-review/

It uses the same loophole, the difference being iMessage needs to get an address from Apple, Ripple uses the ship's wifi to make the connection. Same technical idea tho.

This app is only to communicate with people who are also on the ship. Not sure if that's different from the iMessage experiences that have worked while not connected to wifi?

Trixie - I hope it works for you. I look forward to your report when you return.

Cell phones were never designed to communicate without an outside network. That is to say, they can not "Talk" directly from phone to phone without using a "Provider/Hub", they are not a "Walkie Talkie", and they never will be. This only seems to have worked because of a "Loophole" in the WiFi system. This may not work for too much longer.

That's data comm as opposed to voice. Oddly enough, iPhone 6 will support VoWifi for t-mobile to start, so they are moving that way.

The issue is that the addressing system (phone numbers) are not compatible with internet address (MAC/IP)

Lots of printers are wi-fi enabled. Many companies offer phone

apps to let you print to their printers wirelessly. No outside

network needed.

Lots of printers are wi-fi enabled. Many companies offer phone

apps to let you print to their printers wirelessly. No outside

network needed.

I suppose it could be done as an "Ad Hoc" network, but you still need to setup all the "IP Addresses". When I think of WiFi and what they are trying to do here, it makes the assumption that there is a WiFi router as the controller. That is the "Outside Network" I see.

I do have to eat some crow as I looked on my Samsung Galaxy and see WiFi direct that does much of what is talked about here. But that would sure have a limited distance on a ship (a few hundred feet, and line of sight only). Using the lan on the ship (without connecting to the internet) addresses the distance issue (it's called a repeater in the radio world).

But I do stand by my initial statement, cell phone need a provider in some sense to be of any real use as a communications device.