BIG price difference

summer slope

Ok. then you should be happy and satisfied. We wish you the best.

Hank

I'm sorry but I really don't understand. I just want to understand where these awesome deals are for the Caribbean for 2015. So from this conversation I've learned that there aren't any unless you wait until after final and that the beloved celebrity is pretty much the same price as Hal for an inferior product. I'm not really any further ahead. Enjoy your awesome celebrity cruise.

DixieFin-

And Yes Viva Mexico! I think it's really insulting when CC posters make blanket statements degrading countries and cultures, lots of us enjoy going to Mexico and find it offensive when people make it out to be something scary and not worthy to visit.

Love a Mexico cruise and it's so much easier to get there than the Caribbean. I've seen people on this board make comments about anything other than European cruises being inferior so it's not surprising.

Love a Mexico cruise and it's so much easier to get there than the Caribbean. I've seen people on this board make comments about anything other than European cruises being inferior so it's not surprising.

We also read the stuff about Mexico and just smile. DW and I have traveled to about 100 countries on 6 continents, spent over 3 years of our lives on cruises, and try to enjoy life. And of all the places on earth where do we choose to spend 2 months of every winter? Mexico. Puerto Vallarta to be precise. The irony is that either one of us have no problem walking dark streets late at night (which we do on a regular basis), eating in about 50 restaurants every year (and we have lived to talk about it), drinking cocktails on a daily basis with ice cubes (oh my), etc. And we even sit on our balcony (overlooking the Malecon and sea) and watch cruise ship passengers walking by with their silly fanny packs, bottles of water (why on earth carry water in this city?) etc. Such is life I guess.

Hank

Do not bother pricing oct 2015 cruises now...they will be too high. Wait. Caribbean cruises are relative bargains- most especially in early December.

How good. We did a 14 day Eclipse balcony Christmas cruise this past year. Paid $ 1600.(net of obcs) had it not been over Christmas we would have expected to pay less....and even less per diem for a seven day cruise or 2 b2b cruises. The only per diem pricing that we have seen lower than Carib is Alaska pricing-in the final payment window. But air can be more challenging for some on this route.

Simply pick a few preferred ships/cruise lines and watch the pricing inside the final payment window. Be patient, be flexible and you will score a deal. Just did exactly that for a Med cruise next month. It is not rocket science. You need to be aware of the airline fares and you need to be flexible. It is much more challenging for those who limit themselves to one cruise line or to a specific ship or to those who have vacation time constraints.

Edited by iancal

Hiltner,

I do "hear" what you are saying and generally agree. However I did chuckle about the bottles of water and "why on earth carry water in this city". What city? (I know, you meant PV), but that statement could be used for almost ANY city I have visited or lived in, and I am NOT talking about only tourists. (Yes, I frequently carry a bottle of water although you will usually not see it. Why carry it, well because I am too cheap to buy water when needed, I am uncomfortable with public drinking fountains, and for health reasons need to consume a lot of water each day - particularly in warm/hot climates. However, my bottle is usually refilled with local water wherever I am (well, there are some exceptions).

Do not bother pricing oct 2015 cruises now...they will be too high. Wait. Caribbean cruises are relative bargains- most especially in early December.

How good. We did a 14 day Eclipse balcony Christmas cruise this past year. Paid $ 1600.(net of obcs) had it not been over Christmas we would have expected to pay less....and even less per diem for a seven day cruise or 2 b2b cruises. The only per diem pricing that we have seen lower than Carib is Alaska pricing-in the final payment window. But air can be more challenging for some on this route.

Simply pick a few preferred ships/cruise lines and watch the pricing inside the final payment window. Be patient, be flexible and you will score a deal. Just did exactly that for a Med cruise next month. It is not rocket science. You need to be aware of the airline fares and you need to be flexible. It is much more challenging for those who limit themselves to one cruise line or to a specific ship or to those who have vacation time constraints.

It's very easy to be flexible when you are retired. Very easy. I really wish people would understand that not everyone is in that position.

I was pricing 14 day cruises for next October (2015). To go on an east/west caribbean it was $2899/person. For the NE/canada fall cruise the same month it is $5299/person. Why the huge price difference? Taxes/etc. aren't included. I'm just curious what would justify $2500/person difference.

Nothing justifies it, other than corporate greed.

It isn't supply and demand, it isn't better, smaller ships nor lack of competition. It's a proving policy that punishes folks who want to book early by charging a huge premium early and then severely reducing the price closer to sailing time.

Nothing justifies it, other than corporate greed.

It isn't supply and demand, it isn't better, smaller ships nor lack of competition. It's a proving policy that punishes folks who want to book early by charging a huge premium early and then severely reducing the price closer to sailing time.

That's it in a nutshell, although I think supply and demand does play a small role.

Guess I need to further explain my water comment. I did not intend to mock those that carry water. In PV you can buy cold bottled water nearly every few feet (just look for a Oxxo store or many shops) and it is cheaper then what they sell on the ship, and always cold. But many of us prefer to buy a beer, margarita, etc. Go to the Sea Monkey (or Cheeky Monkey) and a bottle of Corona or Pacifico is $1. Water usually costs more :).

Hank

I was pricing 14 day cruises for next October (2015). To go on an east/west caribbean it was $2899/person. For the NE/canada fall cruise the same month it is $5299/person. Why the huge price difference? Taxes/etc. aren't included. I'm just curious what would justify $2500/person difference.

Just like the airlines cruise lines use sophisticated yield management systems to extract the most $$$ out of each cabin based on supply and demand. NE/Canada has a short peak season from early Sept to late October for fall foliage although they do offer limited sailing in springs and summer. Caribbean cruises are pretty much year round and a huge amount of competition so the prices are pretty low. Since NE/Canada has high demand and a short sailing seasons passengers will pay a premium to cruise there. It your case $2500. Also, there might also be higher operation costs which could factor in the higher fare. You will find Alaska and Baltic similar in pricing due to it's short sailing season.

Edited by COMBOY