BIG price difference

summer slope

I was pricing 14 day cruises for next October (2015). To go on an east/west caribbean it was $2899/person. For the NE/canada fall cruise the same month it is $5299/person. Why the huge price difference? Taxes/etc. aren't included. I'm just curious what would justify $2500/person difference.

Caribbean is probably the cheapest location to cruise in. Number of ships and lines in the market, and similar considerations are huge.

You will see Europe and Alaska are also more expensive than the Caribbean.

Especially western Caribbean. Who wants to go to Mexico?

The New England/Canadain cruises have always been very expensive. Maybe the docking fees are higher, I'm not sure. Caribbean has always been cheaper. CruiserBruce could be right, because of the amount of ships that do the Caribbean. Not that many ships do the New England cruises.

The season for New England cruises is very short and so the cruise lines must try to rake in as much as they can. I have noticed that balcony cabins went quickly and didn't change in price ( except getting higher :eek: ), but I also have seen quite nice deals for insides and oceanview cabins some months before the fall season or nearer to final payment day.

I was pricing 14 day cruises for next October (2015). To go on an east/west caribbean it was $2899/person. For the NE/canada fall cruise the same month it is $5299/person. Why the huge price difference? Taxes/etc. aren't included. I'm just curious what would justify $2500/person difference.

There isn't a lot of competition on the route like there is for Caribbean.

HAL uses smaller ships (Maasdam and Veendam) except for the few cruises from NYC that Eurodam does. The "S" ship verandah cabins usually cost more than on Vista/Signature Class ships.

HAL often gives away their Caribbean cruises because they have a difficult time competing in that highly competitive market. The last time we booked the Westerdam in the Caribbean (back to back 7 day cruises) we paid about half the price of a 14 day cruise on the Celebrity Eclispse. Although we always prefer Celebrity over HAL (with similar itineraries) we opted for the Westerdam to save nearly $2000! That being said, the next 3 Caribbean cruises have been on Celebrity which we think is worth the extra money in those waters.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I like Mexico just fine. Also I'm looking at a 14 day cruise in the Caribbean in March 2015. Hal wants around $4400 single supp for the cheapest balcony. I hardly call that cheap.

Me too! What's wrong with Mexico? We've had some great cruises and land trips there.

HAL often gives away their Caribbean cruises because they have a difficult time competing in that highly competitive market. The last time we booked the Westerdam in the Caribbean (back to back 7 day cruises) we paid about half the price of a 14 day cruise on the Celebrity Eclispse. Although we always prefer Celebrity over HAL (with similar itineraries) we opted for the Westerdam to save nearly $2000! That being said, the next 3 Caribbean cruises have been on Celebrity which we think is worth the extra money in those waters.

Hank

Please point me to these bargain prices on Hal for 2015. I'd like to take advantage. Thx.

Please point me to these bargain prices on Hal for 2015. I'd like to take advantage. Thx.

I was tracking three different Caribbean cruises for 2015 (two 14-day and one 21-day). The day the new Explore 4 was announced all three of those prices rose considerably. For the dates and ships I want I have so far found no bargains.

It's all about supply and demand. The cruise lines try to price the cruises as high as possible but still sell them out. Just like the airlines and hotels. If sales are ahead of their projections (on a given number of days before the sailing date) the price goes up; likewise, if they are below their projections the price comes down.

I was tracking three different Caribbean cruises for 2015 (two 14-day and one 21-day). The day the new Explore 4 was announced all three of those prices rose considerably. For the dates and ships I want I have so far found no bargains.

That's it exactly. I'm looking at mid march. It's stupid expensive. I'm not going to pay that price. I've got a Princess cruise picked out right now to Mexico and the price is not too bad. I'm going to wait it out because I still think it will go lower and I have too many iffy things in my life right now. You have to buy insurance right away with them when booking the cruise and their policy isn't as lenient as Hal's. I really wish I could hear about these so called bargains.

Simply ecomomics: supply and demand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Ok, I will give you an example. The Dec 7 Nieuw Amsterdam can be booked as a 14 day (its actually a back to back east/west). This is the same time we are on Celebrity Eclipse. A veranda cabin on this HAL cruise can be had for a total cost (for 2 including all taxes and fees) $3057.18. And one of my favored cruise agencies would give a $175 OBC on this cruise plus we could also get a $250 Stockholder Credit. So if we do some math and net the cost for the amenities it comes out to $94 per person/day (plus tips),,,,and this is for a balcony! We are paying more then $1000 more on the Eclipse (gladly).

If you want to travel in the prime months then the price will be higher...unless you wait until inside the final payment period when there will likely be some good deals. But if we look at the Feb 15 Nieuw Amsterdam 14 day cruise (and this is one of the most expensive weeks of the year) a veranda cabin would ost about $4478. However, you would also get the drink package (worth over $40 a day) plus one of our favored agencies would kick in a $300 OBC plus we could also grab another $250 OBC stockholder credit. So the balcony cabin works out to about $140 per passenger day (plus tips) but keep in mind this includes the drink package. Inside the final payment period one might get a better deal..although this time of year is very high season (which is why we avoid it).

We do not deal with single supplement cruises (which are always higher) but if that were a consideration we would probably look other cruise lines that actually sell some single person cabins.

A big key to finding true bargains is choosing the quieter weeks. We always love the period right after Thanksgiving....and you can often find a very good deal right after New Years in the Caribbean.

Hank

Ok, I will give you an example. The Dec 7 Nieuw Amsterdam can be booked as a 14 day (its actually a back to back east/west). This is the same time we are on Celebrity Eclipse. A veranda cabin on this HAL cruise can be had for a total cost (for 2 including all taxes and fees) $3057.18. And one of my favored cruise agencies would give a $175 OBC on this cruise plus we could also get a $250 Stockholder Credit. So if we do some math and net the cost for the amenities it comes out to $94 per person/day (plus tips),,,,and this is for a balcony! We are paying more then $1000 more on the Eclipse (gladly).

If you want to travel in the prime months then the price will be higher...unless you wait until inside the final payment period when there will likely be some good deals. But if we look at the Feb 15 Nieuw Amsterdam 14 day cruise (and this is one of the most expensive weeks of the year) a veranda cabin would ost about $4478. However, you would also get the drink package (worth over $40 a day) plus one of our favored agencies would kick in a $300 OBC plus we could also grab another $250 OBC stockholder credit. So the balcony cabin works out to about $140 per passenger day (plus tips) but keep in mind this includes the drink package. Inside the final payment period one might get a better deal..although this time of year is very high season (which is why we avoid it).

We do not deal with single supplement cruises (which are always higher) but if that were a consideration we would probably look other cruise lines that actually sell some single person cabins.

A big key to finding true bargains is choosing the quieter weeks. We always love the period right after Thanksgiving....and you can often find a very good deal right after New Years in the Caribbean.

Hank

The first cruise you quoted is this year. Maybe you missed I said in 2015. The second price you quoted is pretty much the price I gave you which is $4400. I pay double. That is not a bargain. Of course you will get a better price inside final, I've written about that many, many times on this board. If I do that the deal I get will be erased but high air fair. So I guess there are no bargains for 2015. The prices are much, much better this year. I know you place a very high value on free drinks. I don't feel the same. As far as celebrity goes, I wouldn't pay $10 a day so sail on one of their ships. I just don't get the appeal of crappy service and mediocre to poor food but I realize what I enjoy others don't.

I just looked at the celebrity cruise you are quoting. My price is $3200 cdn so it would be less in usd. If you are paying $4000 for that cruise I suggest you get a new ta. My pricing is coming right from their website.

Edited by cruz chic

The first cruise you quoted is this year. Maybe you missed I said in 2015. The second price you quoted is pretty much the price I gave you which is $4400. I pay double. That is not a bargain. Of course you will get a better price inside final, I've written about that many, many times on this board. If I do that the deal I get will be erased but high air fair. So I guess there are no bargains for 2015. The prices are much, much better this year. I know you place a very high value on free drinks. I don't feel the same. As far as celebrity goes, I wouldn't pay $10 a day so sail on one of their ships. I just don't get the appeal of crappy service and mediocre to poor food but I realize what I enjoy others don't.

I just looked at the celebrity cruise you are quoting. My price is $3200 cdn so it would be less in usd. If you are paying $4000 for that cruise I suggest you get a new ta. My pricing is coming right from their website.

Regarding that particular cruise it is a top category hump balcony and the price we quote is for the total cost for 2 (not 1). And with that price we can all kinds of amenities including prepaid tips, unlimited free drinks, a generous on board credit, etc. The current price for what we booked is actually a little higher (in our category) but relatively close to what we paid, But the very popular "hump balcony" which we wanted to try is long gone (as are all the other similar balconies.

Noooo. You might be right that there is not a bargain for the middle of the highest season. But 2015 has 52 weeks and there are plenty of bargains. But folks limit themselves (sometimes because they have no other choice) to certain weeks and certain cruise lines. But if you expand your horizons beyond a single cruise line and a single period of the year it is amazing what deals you can find. Having cruised on 14 different cruise lines an heavens knows how many different ships (50+) we have discovered the joy of cruising! Not the joy of HAL...but the joy of cruising! Each cruise line has their pros and cons and we still work hard at not getting into a rut. We recently came off a 25 day Princess cruise, will soon be on a 38 day HAL cruise and soon there after on a Celebrity cruise. Because we are using different lines we will have totally different shows, different menus, different type ships, etc. HAL is fine, but they do not have an "International Café" like they have on some of the Princess ships, Princess pizza (the best at sea), the Elite benefits we get on Celebrity, etc.

We think that too many get hung-up on a specific line (or even ship) and limit their ability to grow. Sure, we will sometimes go on a line/ship and say, "they do not do this as good as HAL," or "they do not do this as good as Celebrity," but there is always something new and exciting. And it never gets old or boring.

So when we do a search for our next cruise we start out looking at various itineraries. Then we use a specific cruise agency web site that has an amazing data base of just about every cruise line in the world (that has English as their primary language). We search for cruises that get to that part of the world or ports (of which we have an interest) and then compare cost, itinerary, and also the pros and cons of the lines. At that point we make a decision. It is often HAL (over 300 days with this line) but can also be any other line. And I guess the new excitement is that we will soon have a new cruise line (Viking) which hopefully will work its way into our future. Just the idea of a new line, new menus, new entertainment, etc. keeps the old blood flowing.

And lastly, we do not always get the best price on the ship. There is always somebody who manages to find a better deal..and we hope to meet them and learn what they did and who they used. The next time we will check-out their method and see if it is something worth pursuing. By listening to others and opening our minds to other ideas.....this is how we keep growing. Several of the cruise agencies currently on our "short and favored" list came from recommendations of other cruisers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

DixieFin-

If your heart is really set on doing a BtB in the Canada/New England market I recommend going in May when prices are not as high as the Fall season. The one NE/Canada we've done was the very first run of the year in May and it was about 50% less than what is charged for the Fall. It's not "cheap" Caribbean prices but it was affordable.

-Paul

And Yes Viva Mexico! I think it's really insulting when CC posters make blanket statements degrading countries and cultures, lots of us enjoy going to Mexico and find it offensive when people make it out to be something scary and not worthy to visit.

Regarding that particular cruise it is a top category hump balcony and the price we quote is for the total cost for 2 (not 1). And with that price we can all kinds of amenities including prepaid tips, unlimited free drinks, a generous on board credit, etc. The current price for what we booked is actually a little higher (in our category) but relatively close to what we paid, But the very popular "hump balcony" which we wanted to try is long gone (as are all the other similar balconies.

Noooo. You might be right that there is not a bargain for the middle of the highest season. But 2015 has 52 weeks and there are plenty of bargains. But folks limit themselves (sometimes because they have no other choice) to certain weeks and certain cruise lines. But if you expand your horizons beyond a single cruise line and a single period of the year it is amazing what deals you can find. Having cruised on 14 different cruise lines an heavens knows how many different ships (50+) we have discovered the joy of cruising! Not the joy of HAL...but the joy of cruising! Each cruise line has their pros and cons and we still work hard at not getting into a rut. We recently came off a 25 day Princess cruise, will soon be on a 38 day HAL cruise and soon there after on a Celebrity cruise. Because we are using different lines we will have totally different shows, different menus, different type ships, etc. HAL is fine, but they do not have an "International Café" like they have on some of the Princess ships, Princess pizza (the best at sea), the Elite benefits we get on Celebrity, etc.

We think that too many get hung-up on a specific line (or even ship) and limit their ability to grow. Sure, we will sometimes go on a line/ship and say, "they do not do this as good as HAL," or "they do not do this as good as Celebrity," but there is always something new and exciting. And it never gets old or boring.

So when we do a search for our next cruise we start out looking at various itineraries. Then we use a specific cruise agency web site that has an amazing data base of just about every cruise line in the world (that has English as their primary language). We search for cruises that get to that part of the world or ports (of which we have an interest) and then compare cost, itinerary, and also the pros and cons of the lines. At that point we make a decision. It is often HAL (over 300 days with this line) but can also be any other line. And I guess the new excitement is that we will soon have a new cruise line (Viking) which hopefully will work its way into our future. Just the idea of a new line, new menus, new entertainment, etc. keeps the old blood flowing.

And lastly, we do not always get the best price on the ship. There is always somebody who manages to find a better deal..and we hope to meet them and learn what they did and who they used. The next time we will check-out their method and see if it is something worth pursuing. By listening to others and opening our minds to other ideas.....this is how we keep growing. Several of the cruise agencies currently on our "short and favored" list came from recommendations of other cruisers.

Hank

You compared the price on celebrity to the cheapest cabin on Hal. If you compare prices shouldn't you compare apples to apples, not apples to blueberries. I could say the highest balcony on Hal is $2000 more than celebrity but what does it mean? As far as trying different cruise lines I regularly go between Princess and Hal. I have also tried carnival and celebrity and without a doubt celebrity is the bottom of the barrel out of all 4. When you are retired you can pick up and leave at your leisure. My job requires me to be there the first 6 days of the month and return by the first day of the next month. That severely limits the cruises I can pick. How can you be flexible with that combination? Even with flexibility I do not see any bargains that some folks seem to feel are plentiful.

You compared the price on celebrity to the cheapest cabin on Hal. If you compare prices shouldn't you compare apples to apples, not apples to blueberries. I could say the highest balcony on Hal is $2000 more than celebrity but what does it mean? As far as trying different cruise lines I regularly go between Princess and Hal. I have also tried carnival and celebrity and without a doubt celebrity is the bottom of the barrel out of all 4. When you are retired you can pick up and leave at your leisure. My job requires me to be there the first 6 days of the month and return by the first day of the next month. That severely limits the cruises I can pick. How can you be flexible with that combination? Even with flexibility I do not see any bargains that some folks seem to feel are plentiful.

Ok. then you should be happy and satisfied. We wish you the best.

Hank

We had sailed Princess basically and wanted a quick short get-away last Sept. We went last minute (3 weeks out) and took an inside cabin with Carnival sailing out of NYC going to Boston, Portland, Halifax and St. John. What a great cruise! The décor in the common places were unreal lol but we went with an open mind and we were pleasantly surprised at how we had a super time. Although it was too early for the leaf colours the ports were all wonderful. I snagged those cabins for $374 each would you believe. If you can wait last minute maybe you will be able to afford to go. Every cruise line has its good points and better points. Dare to branch out and you might be surprised at how there are other lines other than HAL lol. By the way...this is our first HAL cruise and we chose it for the itinerary....one place is Cozumel that we have wanted to visit. So I am sure we will find it different from the others we have sailed on and we are looking forward to another line to try.