Would your solution be the same as P&Os?

ucanttaketheboy

Cannot believe the number of people are saying they would be happy with P&Os response its ever likely P&O are laughing at the loyalty of some of their loyal cruisers. We had a very minor problem on Princess last year nothing compared to what you happened here and got a phone call in my cabin saying they were very sorry and we could order a free bottle of wine with our dinner that evening. Now that is what I call customer service I hadnt complained but it was obviously mentioned to the Head Waiter by one of our waiters after we had left the table that evening and we got the phone call next morning much to our amazement. The trouble is too many loyal customers to P&O are prepared to put up with the customer service which is very poor and at best it would have cost nothing to replace both bottles of wine with new ones of exactly the same.

What I found surprising was that the Restaurant Manager was unable to make a decision over a couple of bottles of average wine at what must be a cost to P&O of probably £10-£12. Surely they make allowance for breakages etc.

Thats the sign of a poorly run Company. You need to empower (and trust) your employees and give them the ability to resolve a situation themselves to limit the 'damage'.

My sisters woven M&S sun hat suffered water damage whilst her suitcase sat in the rain at Bridgetown quay. It took three meetings with differing levels of staff to finally get them to offer the cost of the hat (£20) as OBC. Woeful customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you consider how much profit P&O (like any 'hotel') make on a bottle of wine I am surprised that they didn't just replace both, no questions asked. It was not your fault re the spillage.

I suppose we don't know the pressures the staff are under from those above them.

Having said that, it isn't as bad as a hotel we stayed in where we were told that we had a free bottle of wine as a sorry for the inconvenience we had had with a room (and it was a nightmare) only to be told 15 minutes later that they had the wrong people and we had to pay !!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's bad service ----

I wouldn't have expected any offer of replacement or cleaning unless a member of staff had spilt it, or caused it to spill. Even then it was white wine so easy enough to rinse off in the sink (though had it been a cruise of 2 weeks plus then i could understand wanting the items laundered if you were intending on wearing them again).

I don't know why this has been raised as a complaint - they replaced it and offered to clean the clothing. What do people expect when it wasn't a member of staff who directly caused it. Even if they had I still wouldn't poured it all over me by mistake I wouldnt have expected anymore.

P.s. I'm not loyal to P&O, in fact Im not even really much of a fan, but I don't expect people to jump around about "non problems" either and think the response was fair.

So essentially you wanted to be placed in a better position than you were before the incident?

I think this is exactly what the OP wanted. As this was an accident, no one was to blame, therefore no one party should profit from the situation. However, whichever way you spin it, P&O were out of pocket on this one. P&O replaced the wine that was spilt at no cost to passenger; only cost was to P&O. If they had provided a full new bottle, even greater cost to P&O; profit to passenger.

Please get over yourself; you say this was an accident. It was not P&O's fault, so do not hold them accountable.

I don't know why this has been raised as a complaint - they replaced it and offered to clean the clothing. What do people expect when it wasn't a member of staff who directly caused it. Even if they had I still wouldn't poured it all over me by mistake I wouldnt have expected anymore.

I happen to agree with this. P&O did everything that they had to do. Yes it would have been nice to have been offered both bottles full up again, but it really is a non-event in my eyes.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased :p

I think this is exactly what the OP wanted. As this was an accident, no one was to blame, therefore no one party should profit from the situation. However, whichever way you spin it, P&O were out of pocket on this one. P&O replaced the wine that was spilt at no cost to passenger; only cost was to P&O. If they had provided a full new bottle, even greater cost to P&O; profit to passenger.

Please get over yourself; you say this was an accident. It was not P&O's fault, so do not hold them accountable.

I agree. As the OP says, 'no obvious reason' for the accident. It would have been a much nicer gesture perhaps had the customers accepted the circumstances and managed without a half bottle each.:)

There is a slight problem with your rationale here. The bigger issue is what happened to the contents of the wine bottle that P&O did not give the passenger.

Did P&O tip the contents down the drain?

Was the contents re-bottled for use of a "wine by the glass" passenger which is probably a violation of hygiene laws in many countries.

There is a slight problem with your rationale here. The bigger issue is what happened to the contents of the wine bottle that P&O did not give the passenger.

Did P&O tip the contents down the drain?

Was the contents re-bottled for use of a "wine by the glass" passenger which is probably a violation of hygiene laws in many countries.

Now you're just being silly.

Now you're just being silly.

Please explain?? How is it silly.

Seriously P&O gave these passengers whoever they are a bottle with wine equal to what the waiter thought was remaining in their bottle. Now the contents of the bottle had to go somewhere.

1. If the waiter tipped it down the drain then that is just waste.

2. If the waiter tipped it out and into another bottle for consumption by other passengers then that is a health and safety risk. Its akin to tipping wine out of a used glass back into a bottle for someone else.

If staff on ships are doing such things with wine then it leaves me with little confidence in their food handling practices and they probably should be reported for that.

Seriously P&O gave these passengers whoever they are a bottle with wine equal to what the waiter thought was remaining in their bottle. Now the contents of the bottle had to go somewhere.

2. If the waiter tipped it out and into another bottle for consumption by other passengers then that is a health and safety risk. Its akin to tipping wine out of a used glass back into a bottle for someone else.

If staff on ships are doing such things with wine then it leaves me with little confidence in their food handling practices and they probably should be reported for that.

The OP says that the 'same bottles' were returned so the bottles must have been part filled with something from other bottles. Those may then have been used for servings by the glass.

I think you are getting yourself bothered for no reason.

We will never find out what happened with the contents. All suggestions are mere speculation based on no evidence. To make judgements about food handling practices from such speculation is a ridiculous thing to do and most unfair on P&O staff who serve us all so well.

I always used to get ill on holiday, it wasn't a case of if but when. Been cruising since 1995, over 300 nights on board ships and nothing. I wouldn't worry about the food handling practices.