QM2 Behind the Scenes Tour

T5LHR

I thought I had asked this question before, but must have dreamed it…

Worth the cost?

Which day is it open for registration? Do I have to take my sleeping bag and camp outside the tours office overnight? :D

Thanks,

T5

:)

Hi T5LHR,

Yes, very much worth the cost.

When I registered to book a place (there were 16 of us selected, December '13, QM2 WB TA) I went to the tour office in the Grand Lobby Deck 2 (near the Purser's Office) straight after an early breakfast on the first sea day. I arrived about 0845 and there were two people ahead of me, if memory serves. I believe that only one of the people ahead of me was on the tour.

I found out I had been selected about two/three days later.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Most of the people on the tour were extremely interested in all aspects of QM2, and asked great questions.

Hope this helps :) .

I took the tour on the QV and enjoyed it very much. I've taken a similar tour on a Royal Caribbean ship and I enjoyed the QV more. This was during the World Voyage and there was one tour held during each segment.

I think I signed up at the Purser's office the day I boarded. There were only about 6 or 7 on the tour. At least one no show. It was nice to have a small group as everyone could get close to all the areas and there were plenty of "goodies" to go around.

Don

I've done two behind the scenes tours: one with Princess and one on the QE in July. The cost of such a tour is absolutely worth it!

Go to the Purser's desk on the first sea day to sign up. Get there early though. If in Grills, I believe the Concierge handles sign up.

You'd be a fool not to experience this!

Edited by Austcruiser84

Hi T5LHR,

Yes, very much worth the cost.

When I registered to book a place (there were 16 of us selected, December '13, QM2 WB TA) I went to the tour office in the Grand Lobby Deck 2 (near the Purser's Office) straight after an early breakfast on the first sea day. I arrived about 0845 and there were two people ahead of me, if memory serves. I believe that only one of the people ahead of me was on the tour.

I found out I had been selected about two/three days later.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Most of the people on the tour were extremely interested in all aspects of QM2, and asked great questions.

Hope this helps :) .

Oh… So, even if you sign up, you might not get to do it? Do you know if it is first come - first serve? Or a ballot type affair? Or done on status?

FYI, there is a lot of walking. During my 94 day cruise, I never used the elevator. The tour was going from deck 2 to deck 9 and I almost beat them using the stairs as the rest of them took the elevator.

Also can not take pictures.

Don

FYI, there is a lot of walking. During my 94 day cruise, I never used the elevator. The tour was going from deck 2 to deck 9 and I almost beat them using the stairs as the rest of them took the elevator.

Also can not take pictures.

Don

Helps burn off the calories… :D

"Oh… So, even if you sign up, you might not get to do it? Do you know if it is first come - first serve? Or a ballot type affair? Or done on status"

(sorry, the "auto quote" thing isn't working for me at the moment :confused: )

Hi T5LHR,

Yes there is a chance you may not be selected. I've no idea how they select who goes and who doesn't. It is usually over-subscribed despite there being no advertising for it (well, I've never seen any, it seems to be word-of-mouth). I suspect there is a security clearance procedure (so how I got past that I've no idea... ;) ), but after that... it could be names out of a hat for all I know. It is not "first-come-first-served" because as I said, there was someone ahead of me in the queue that wasn't on the tour. I also don't think it is status as two of my group were on their first ever crossing/cruise.

As was mentioned above, no photography. A lot of steps to climb, takes about 3 1/2 hours approx. Light refreshments provided halfway. Goodies handed out, certificate sent to your cabin later, individual photo with the captain on the bridge.

Book it is my advice!!!

Sincere best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Oh… I certainly intend to book it and will be outside the tours office on the first sea day, and will be there before breakfast… :D

I may take my White Star Line officers cap badge along to hold up during the picture on the bridge… :)

Is it roughly $150 or so?

Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it…

T5 - it is definitely worth it. I did it 2 years ago. You do a lot of walking and standing, you need to wear comfortable shoes. My advice - get to the tour office well before it opens. I also do not know the criteria for selection but I received a letter several days later telling me I had been selected with instructions.

For the QM2 transatlantics signups begin on the morning after boarding at the tour office. The tour office opens at 9AM. I woke up early and wandered down at 7:30AM with a book to read. I was first in line. By about 8:15 the line was long. Did this July of this year. It is an excellent tour, well worth doing.

Here is my review of the QM2 Behind the Scenes Tour we tour in July, 2013. It was well worth the $120pp and all the stairs and walking. And being able to book it through the Grills concierge certainly helped us get accepted.

Oh… So, even if you sign up, you might not get to do it? Do you know if it is first come - first serve? Or a ballot type affair? Or done on status?

Some have speculated that discrete inquiries are made as to one's physical ability. There is stair and ladder climbing and if it were a shore excursion it would be rated for high activity. (Apply for the tour while seated on a scooter and you won't be selected.)

Sometimes passengers don't pay attention to the activity level when they sign on for tours. On a "moderate" activity tour - rated such for steps, hills, and uneven terrain - two people had to stay on the tour bus at some stops because they were not physically up to the walking.

Thanks pmb1 for the tour review - very informative.

We are doing a crossing in December in PG and I very much want to do the tour. You mentioned that you signed up for the tour with the grills concierge. Did you do that on the first morning or at some other time? Thanks.

RemPuck

I am hoping to get on this tour on my New England/Canada cruise next month, if they offer it. I have taken the 'behind-the-scene's-tour' on every ship I have sailed on if it was offered. Since I am only in a lowly Inside cabin, I hope they honor 'first-come-first-served'....

But I fear that they don't, otherwise, why not confirm right on the spot?

I can speculate that they first wait for all Grill class passenger's the opportunity to book before opening it up to the rest....

We did it in June 14. Worth every cent.

The photo was a group one though - perhaps because we were running late.

We had a group photo, too. And I'm pretty sure we were running late, too. We loved the tour, absolutely fascinating.

Some have speculated that discrete inquiries are made as to one's physical ability. There is stair and ladder climbing and if it were a shore excursion it would be rated for high activity. (Apply for the tour while seated on a scooter and you won't be selected.)

Sometimes passengers don't pay attention to the activity level when they sign on for tours. On a "moderate" activity tour - rated such for steps, hills, and uneven terrain - two people had to stay on the tour bus at some stops because they were not physically up to the walking.

You're right about activity levels. They make it VERY clear on the application that the tour will involve extensive walking and stair climbing.

I had always assumed security was an issue, but considering all the stairs (wish I'd counted!), fitness could be part of the explanation, too. We did the tour on HAL's Zuiderdam and they allowed photography, so I was disappointed that Cunard didn't allow cameras. I suppose it's a combination of security, keeping people to a schedule, and also safety--both hands available for stair rails, etc.

Thanks pmb1 for the tour review - very informative.

We are doing a crossing in December in PG and I very much want to do the tour. You mentioned that you signed up for the tour with the grills concierge. Did you do that on the first morning or at some other time? Thanks.

RemPuck

Glad it was helpful, RemPuck. We did apply to the concierge at the first opportunity. Good luck, and bon voyage!

Hi,

Thanks for this information. I greatly enjoyed similar behind-the-scenes tours on the Queen Elizabeth, Caribbean Princess and Allure of the Seas. Of course, this tour would be particularly interesting on the QM2 due to the unique nature of the ship. I will try to do this tour during my crossing in November.

Thanks,

Chuck