Value of Blu for specialty dining?

EvelynAlexa

We are sailing on the Reflection for the first time in an Aqua Suite soon. It's my understanding that ordering a smoothie off the menu for breakfast in Blu is included, but what about a cappuccino? Will that be an extra charge and any idea of what that might be? Same question if I had one after dinner in Blu. Thanks.

Edited by kiyoko

We are sailing on the Reflection for the first time in an Aqua Suite soon. It's my understanding that ordering a smoothie off the menu for breakfast in Blu is included, but what about a cappuccino? Will that be an extra charge and any idea of what that might be? Same question if I had one after dinner in Blu. Thanks.

I believe cappuccino is always an extra charge unless you have a beverage package. We love Blu. We had a drink package.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 months later...
I think that you are trying to determine its "Value" within the price if an Aqua Class room, but that is an undefinable quantity, since you sometimes see Concierge and Aqua priced nearly the same. Sometimes there is a large price difference between them but not always.

When I booked my cruise about a month ago, the aquaclass category was about $350pp less than the price of concierge. From what I can tell on the other sailings, this is unusual. I think it's great and booked aquaclass for my first Celebrity cruise. I'm really looking forward to Blu.:D

You're right it doesn't matter now...but it still is NOT true and is misleading to those who think they might be able to do it....it's just not been done.........

I agree and to add to your comment in the beginning of Blu suite passengers were not even allowed to eat there. They only started allowing that afterward I'm guessing because some suite passengers complained. You are correct that they have never let anyone eat there who was not AQ or Suite passengers and that has been strictly enforced since day 1.

Wife and I went to have breakfast in Blu one morning and tried to get Lois in with us and we were respectfully refused. This was shortly after Blu was introduced.

Edited by dkjretired

I add zero value to BLU. I consider it an even swap from the already included MDR meals.

Perhaps I'd add on $5 for breakfast and $10 for dinner, for the quieter atmosphere, but as to the variance in food being offered, i really see it as an item-for-item swap from MDR.

There has always been a pay for arrangement for evening dining in Blu if not in AQ or a Suite. I don't know what it is or has been for anyone outside of that segment, but it has existed as an alternative venue on a space available basis.

Absolutely not the case.

I was in the PH, sailing Solo, last year on Reflection, I wanted to bring a guest to dine with me, and they refused, even though we were in San Juan with a 10 pm departure, and the dining room was empty. I dined with 4 other friends who were in Aqua at a table for 6, with an empty seat across the table from me where my guest should have been seated. There were several other 6 tops open, about a dozen 2 tops still open.

I raised my concerns, and asked to be accommodated later, rather than let me bring a single guest with me (having duly paid the single supplement) they instead chose to refund my entire on board spend, and credit me $300 on top of that. I'd have been satisfied paying the $5 cover.

That they spent $1000 making me happy rather than allowing me to pay them $5, should let people know just how adamant they are about keeping BLU for Aqua and Suite guests only.

Absolutely not the case.

I was in the PH, sailing Solo, last year on Reflection, I wanted to bring a guest to dine with me, and they refused, even though we were in San Juan with a 10 pm departure, and the dining room was empty. I dined with 4 other friends who were in Aqua at a table for 6, with an empty seat across the table from me where my guest should have been seated. There were several other 6 tops open, about a dozen 2 tops still open.

I raised my concerns, and asked to be accommodated later, rather than let me bring a single guest with me (having duly paid the single supplement) they instead chose to refund my entire on board spend, and credit me $300 on top of that. I'd have been satisfied paying the $5 cover.

That they spent $1000 making me happy rather than allowing me to pay them $5, should let people know just how adamant they are about keeping BLU for Aqua and Suite guests only.

I never knew the full story on this, I am glad you shared Curt/

I knew the short version of the story when I sailed Aqua Solo in October. I knew they would not let me bring a friend in, and I especially knew not to even try it when I found out they rejected a Penthouse guest's request. So I never ate one meal in Blu.....

After reading many a thread about Blu we shall finally get first hand experience in Nov. as we were able to get an A2 for less than a C2 under the current 'All In' for our return to the Equinox.

To the Orginal question, having re-read this thread, if Blu was to become a 'Speciality' venue, one would have to think it would be priced in line with all the other options.

EW

I travel solo, and go AQ as often as possible, solely for Blu and the quality of food, service, and overall dining experience there. However, even I have my limits and since I pay double the fare for solo occupancy, if AQ costs me more than $40-$45 a day more than another non-AQ balcony stateroom, I pass on AQ and just do Specialty Dining each night.

Blu is a nicer dining experience with somewhat better food than the MDR. It's still faux fine dining complete with exaggerated culinary descriptions on the menu.

It will never be a specialty restaurant because Celebrity needs access to it to be restricted to justify the higher AQ prices. I like having access to it even if I only eat there half the time. Breakfast there is especially valuable, the buffet is to hectic

For us this calculation is pretty simple. 7 loungers for thousands of people make the persian gardens tough to use, and we don't need water because of the drink package. Aqua is really about Blu for us. Every specialty restaurant is a step above Blu, so if the ultimate dining package (I believe $29/pp/pd) is in the same ballpark, we will book CC (as long as 1-2-3 stands).

The tables are spread out enough to enjoy a nice dinner as a table for two, but ar close enough to engage in a conversation with the diners next to you if you would like.

On the Reflection they added extra tables and there is just enough space to get a hand in between to change the table cloths. The Reflection is just too conjested in Blu. This also creates the situation where the waiter reaches over and across the table to serve the person on the other side of the table as opposed to serving from behind. Nothing like having their arm pit in your face.

At the beginning of the cruise it will be rather quite, as the days pass passengers will get to know one another and the converstaions will make the restuarant louder.

Then is always the large group that has the token life of the party that has to make sure that everyone knows that they are having a great time with the constant exaggerated loud laugh and voice. You wonder how they have any time to eat as much as they do and it must be because they can do multi tasking of talking and chewing at the same time.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

As almost exclusive BLU diners (recently did a 1A with Ultimate Dining Package), we have quoted your comments in their entirety because they mirror our experience completely. Well said.

We only have 2 points of reference, neither of which include dining in Blu.

First, after many nights of honestly ho-hum dining in the MDR, a very nice 21 days of dining there on Eclipse this year. Especially after checking the Blu menu each night. Found the Blu menu fairly boring compared to the MDR menu (though admittedly not sampling the menu there).

Second, maybe it is the itineraries we have compared (Hawaii, 3 Transatlantics, 2 in Asia and 2 in Europe that we have booked), the price has NEVER been less than a $1000 premium for AQ (and often much more) and comes with the additional baggage of less desirable cabins (far forward, under the pool deck, etc.) As much as we want to sample Blu, the value, for us, is not even close to being there.

But we keep hoping for a reasonable price premium...

We book Aqua just for Blu! So we would say invaluable. Having just cruised on a ship not offering Aqua/Blu we say it certainly made the difference, would never go back to the un personable pack mentality in table sitting, rush in rush out and the 'wedding' repetitious quality of the food in MDR