Costa Cruise Ship Encounters Water Spout

Cruisergal1208

It's a common phenomenon in the Mediterranean at the end of summer, yesterday a big one also happened in Menorca, they do not reach the shore though. Anyway, this is not the Costa forum.

EXCUSE ME!! I know this is not the Costa forum. Just wanted to share info with other cruise pax. My bad! Promise not to do it again!!!

Moderator, please remove this thread if it offends others for being on the MSC forum.

Edited by Cruisergal1208

EXCUSE ME!! I know this is not the Costa forum. Just wanted to share info with other cruise pax. My bad! Promise not to do it again!!!

Moderator, please remove this thread if it offends others for being on the MSC forum.

I must admit, my first reaction was that this is a Costa story. However, having followed the link, I believe it should be of interest to ALL cruisers and belongs on any and all forums! I, for one, would not have come across it were it not for your thread so, while some might think it belongs in a general chat forum, I'm glad you put it here!

It's a common phenomenon in the Mediterranean at the end of summer, yesterday a big one also happened in Menorca, they do not reach the shore though. Anyway, this is not the Costa forum.

Typical rudeness of some of the people on the Divina forum. Many don't have a nice thing to say about anything lol

I guess I could have just said, "Well,bless your heart".

Practically busted a gut on that!!! :D

And thank you for posting the video. I thought it was amazing. I sure wouldn't want to have to clean that up or be the one to have to tell everyone that all menu items would be served in mugs for the rest of the voyage.

Trish

Typical rudeness of some of the people on the Divina forum. Many don't have a nice thing to say about anything lol

This is not the Divina Forum but MSC Forum. MSC Ttract passengers form around the globe so not are a lot of posters on here not American, they do not necessarily speak English as a first language and even when we do, we express ourselves differently.

As for Ellamartellma's response, I fail to see what he said that provoked such an overreaction. He lives in the Med Region and was pointing out that this is common occurrence at this time of year. which I didn't know. He merely stated that this is not the Costa forum. He didn't say you shouldn't be posting here.

Had I been the OP, I'd have responded that yes I knew this was Te MSC forum but i thought that as MSC operated a lot of ships there, Hugh it would be of interest to posters here, rather than having a hissy fit.

Edited by AmoMondo

This is not the Divina Forum but MSC Forum. MSC Ttract passengers form around the globe so not are a lot of posters on here not American, they do not necessarily speak English as a first language and even when we do, we express ourselves differently.

As for Ellamartellma's response, I fail to see what he said that provoked such an overreaction. He lives in the Med Region and was pointing out that this is common occurrence at this time of year. which I didn't know. He merely stated that this is not the Costa forum. He didn't say you shouldn't be posting here.

Had I been the OP, I'd have responded that yes I knew this was Te MSC forum but i thought that as MSC operated a lot of ships there, Hugh it would be of interest to posters here, rather than having a hissy fit.

Thank you Mairi,

this needed to be said. Ellmartellama has proved many times on here that he doesn't have a rude bone in his body. I really think it was a cultural misundertanding. I mean this guy is actually worried to tell his customers that they have to sign anything...he rather uses the sentence" if you can sign here" not to appear rude. If he's rude, I'm the devil incarnate.

Stef

Classic cultural clash that seems to often result in complaints that MSC staff are rude :p

Add to that the trouble conveying tone in the written word and it is no wonder people misinterpret original intent.

To give my cultural 50ish Canadian perspective:

In my head, I read the second post as at least dismissive (it is an ordinary event and we don't care about it here), if not a downright rebuke (you shouldn't be posting here). And I ignored that as I was momentarily obsessed with trying to find out more info! And I am fine with people having a different opinion to me.

I read the OPs response doing my best Steve Martin expression (

), which made me smile. Followed by the apology and the note to the moderators to remove if offensive, I did not interpret "hissy fit" in any way, shape or form.

Of course, I was still smiling remembering Steve Martin and being a teen again (already sappy because my daughter is 16 today!), so the tone that I was interpreting may have been quite different from how someone else perceived it.

I guess my point is that text is an impoverished form of communication, particularly informal forms of it. I came back to this thread wondering if somebody had found more links and instead found a brawl about to happen with both sides rudely calling each other rude (my perspective ;p)

Deep breaths people! Save it for the MSC haters!

Classic cultural clash that seems to often result in complaints that MSC staff are rude :p

Add to that the trouble conveying tone in the written word and it is no wonder people misinterpret original intent.

Agreed. I often stay in Turkish hotels. I read the reviews generally in a state of disbelief. I feel compelled afterwards to correct the nonsense written before.

I have never met, so far, a rude MSC employee. One was a little dour but never rude. Overall, I can only praise MSC staff for being polite and personal. I could not expect anything better.

LOL you gotta love the PR speak from the cruise line versus the reality described by the passengers.

PR speak: The commander of the ship immediately activated the procedures necessary to re-establish a regular and normal navigation, and then proceeded to warn and assist passengers

Passengers: Engine went out, we were spinning like a freaking top, and the Captain came on the PA and announced he had lost control of the ship.

One of these things is not like the other!

I find it hard to believe that the ship was 'spinning like a top'. Also, water spouts/tornados don't stay in one place; they move usually very quickly so the amount of time that it would have been directly impacting the ship wouldn't have been too long. But the surrounding storms and rough seas-yes, those would have had an impact.

No images or vid of the actual water spout is disappointing. :P

Phew. Thanks for pointing out that this is the MSC and not Divina forum.

WOW, I had not entered the thread again and now I see I have caused some very big offence LOL :D

If you get offended because of that, well... I just thought it was an innocent mistake, and was pointing that out just in case Cruisergal1208 wanted to post that on the Costa forum. No need to overreact.

I found the link to be interesting, and I also provided useful information. I can't see where the problem is.

By the way, I have never sailed the Divina! I wouldn't mind though, even I have to be rude to adapt, I'll do just fine ^_^

CG ... Thanks for posting the link ... :) Not what you want to hear from the Captain though that he has lost control of the ship !!

I find that to be a little bit disturbing! It's better to say nothing instead of that o_O

And now so that we can all relax, here you have a picture from a placid Mediterranean sea that I took yesterday. The calm after the storm :)

02.jpg

Autumn weather it's like that. One day you have a summer-like warm day, the other you have a big storm. We locals just love it, after a long hot summer, rain and clouds are very much welcome.

I find it hard to believe that the ship was 'spinning like a top'. Also, water spouts/tornados don't stay in one place; they move usually very quickly so the amount of time that it would have been directly impacting the ship wouldn't have been too long. But the surrounding storms and rough seas-yes, those would have had an impact.

No images or vid of the actual water spout is disappointing. :P

That's excactly what I thought! Spouts, or "cap de fibló" as we call them, are actually weak. They have "little" strength and last only for some minutes. They are fuelled by very warm sea water and caused by a cold frontal system passing by.

Once they reach the shore, they just get out of fuel and vanish. Problem is of course if you hit them directly with a ship.

My guess is that Costa ship was sailing through rough seas and they hit a forming "cap de fibló" by accident. That must have taken everyone off guard, since there is no way to actually forecast them. I take it they that they rapidly manoeuvred to avoid a direct impact and the ship found herself facing the waves at the wrong angle :confused:

Sometimes, they appear simultaneously:

2008-12-01_IMG_2008-11-24_18:36:44_img_3934.jpg

They are just beautiful

33_1.jpg

27693269.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27693269

fiblo-sud-est-Menorca-lluisarguimbaue-aemetbaleares_ARAIMA20140924_0108_5.jpg

http://www.ara.cat/societat/meteo/Imponent-cap-fiblo-Menorca_0_1217878339.html

On the 4th of October 2007, a mega-storm hit directly the island of Mallorca. Skies turned black in a matter of minutes, multiple cap de fiblos formed and the storm was so powerfull that it did not lose strength when it reached the shore. That was super-scary. Remember that, there is no way to forecast that, the storm is formed at such a speed no one can be warmed. There were no casualties, which is rather incredible.

http://ib3tv.com/carta?id=9ce6fa1d-0af5-449e-8e12-d747e26dd565

Also 2 years ago, another Cap de Fibló entered the island from the north and destroyed parts of a Monastery that is 500m above sea level. That was really weird. On that video the meteorologist explains that the storm hit the upper parts of the valley at a speed of 148km/h. Even though they estimate that at the lower parts of the valley the strenght of the wind was much higher O_O Also the wind funneled upwards trough a narrow canyon called Torrent the Pareis, just imagine being there and get hit by sudden 200km/h winds!

Edited by Elmartellama

WOW, I had not entered the thread again and now I see I have caused some very big offence LOL :D

If you get offended because of that, well... I just thought it was an innocent mistake, and was pointing that out just in case Cruisergal1208 wanted to post that on the Costa forum. No need to overreact.

I found the link to be interesting, and I also provided useful information. I can't see where the problem is.

By the way, I have never sailed the Divina! I wouldn't mind though, even I have to be rude to adapt, I'll do just fine ^_^

Fair call :)