Considering a cruise with our girls...their own room??

crazyboutdisney

We are considering cruising with our kids for the first time. Looking ahead and this wont be until 2016 and they will be 12 and 19. I am just curious what other people do.....do you get them their own room? Do you feel comfortable with them being in their own room on the ship? Is it hard to get adjoining rooms?? Tell me your experiences :)

Absolutely get them their own room. U will appreciate that second bathroom and time alone with your SO. Adjoining rooms are available or u could get adjacent or across the hall. Will probably have to book one child with one adult, but u can switch it around once u get onboard.

Have a blast!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We are considering cruising with our kids for the first time. Looking ahead and this wont be until 2016 and they will be 12 and 19. I am just curious what other people do.....do you get them their own room? Do you feel comfortable with them being in their own room on the ship? Is it hard to get adjoining rooms?? Tell me your experiences :)

I believe you have to be at least 25 to be booked in a room BUT what you can do is book yourself and one child in your room and your husband in another room with the other child and then everybod swap once onboard by going to Guest Services.

People do it all the time.....enjoy your cruise!!!!

We've let our kids have their own room from about the age of 14. Sometimes we've had to book it so it looks like an adult is in the room, but with your oldest being 18 I think you'll be fine. We always cruise with a balcony room for my husband and I, and the kids right across the hall in an interior. We have certain rules about staying connected, curfew, etc. and have never had a problem. Hope you all have a wonderful time! It's so nice to cruise with the whole family together! :)

As long as the parents/guardians are within 3 doors of the younger child you'll be fine.

There are different requirements depending on the age of the kids.

If only one of the parents want to get Cheers then book one parent with each girl ;)

Edited by SadieN

you dont have to have a 25 year old booked for the room. im not sure what the minimum age is, but i know its not as high as 25 because myself and my twin brother have our own room booked in our names and we are 22.

For Carnival, if someone in the room is under 21, the other person has to be 25. So being 22, you both qualify as over 21.

If the parents are on the cruise, they can be next door, across the hallway, or caty-corner to the room across the hallway. Best to put an adult name in each cabin.

For Carnival, if someone in the room is under 21, the other person has to be 25. So being 22, you both qualify as over 21.

If the parents are on the cruise, they can be next door, across the hallway, or caty-corner to the room across the hallway. Best to put an adult name in each cabin.

I don't know if the rules have changed, or are not always enforced, but our last cruise in December my oldest and my nephew (17 and 18) had their own room, booked in their own names. They were right across the hall from our room. That's why I advised the op I thought they would be ok since their oldest daughter is over 18.

Last summer we did a room across the hall for our girls that were 16 and 19 at the time. My PVP, a carnival employee for 8+ years said because we were on board as parents and the girls were over 13 they could be anywhere on the ship. We opted for across the hall so I could check in on them. Trust but verify. As others have suggested if one of you would like to take advantage of the cheers program you certainly would want to book on adult in each room. Go to guest services after and get additional keys for each room. Another option is to book two balcony staterooms and open the divider.

Some of these answers are completely wrong! You DO NOT have to have an adult in the cabin or for one of them to be 21 or 25. This is only when they are cruising by themselves without a parent (or someone 25) on the ship. We have been booking our girls in their own cabin since they were 12,14,16. They are now 19,21,23. As long as their cabin is next to yours or across the corridor they will allow the girls to be in their own.

Actually, the official rules allow there to be up to 3 cabins between yours and the kids :) We have had to invoke it in order to get cabins that worked for us. It is graded by ages, but none require you to be in the same cabin.

Next door or across the hall (12 and under)

Up to 3 cabins in between (13-17)

Anywhere on ship (18 and up)

* When not traveling with a parent, 20yo and under must be booked in a cabin with a 25 and up.

With a 12 and 19yo, Carnival will limit you to booking next door or across the hall. (because of the 12yo)

One our last cruise we had our boys in the cabin a few doors down/across the hallway (18,16,8,7) and our girls in a cabin in the opposite hallway on the same deck (21,20,13,10) and everyone did well and we had no troubles. Our kids all know that they enter nobody's cabin but their own and nobody but their family enters theirs. To arrange the cabins like this, one of the parents had to be booked into the cabin that the girls actually slept in. We just got extra keys once on board =)

Edited by Athankfulheart

As long as the parents/guardians are within 3 doors of the younger child you'll be fine.

If only one of the parents want to get Cheers then book one parent with each girl ;)

This is what I told my husband!! haha He isnt as onboard with taking our kids on a cruise. He thinks of it as more of an adult trip as we always go with a group of couples. But I really want to go and experience this with our kids!

Some of these answers are completely wrong! You DO NOT have to have an adult in the cabin or for one of them to be 21 or 25. This is only when they are cruising by themselves without a parent (or someone 25) on the ship.

Someone needs to tell that to Carnival's online booking system. It would not allow me to book my 19yo in the same room with my 21yo even though my wife and I were booking at the same time on the same cruise. We had to book 19yo with one of us; so, on paper, my 19yo is in my cabin and my wife is in the same cabin with my 21yo. You could be absolutely correct, but it can't be booked that way on Carnival's website without direct intervention by a Carnival rep.

Edited by PokerBradOKC

I just added another one of my sons with his girlfriend to our cruise and worked it this way. I have three rooms right in a row. On other cruises I had to book my wife and I in separate rooms with the kids and then once on the ship go to GS and they switch it back.

We had connecting cabins in Feb. There is a door from one cabin to the other, you can leave it open if you choose. We did this for our 13 and 16 yr old sons and it worked great. If you want this type of cabin you should book early as there are not as many of them as regular cabins. We were quite happy with this arrangement! When we booked, we did have to list one adult in each cabin, but then were allowed to change names so the sign and sail cards would work.

It's easy to get adjoining rooms if you book early. There are many bonuses for doing this. 1.) You have one parent on each room and then you only have to get one Cheers program, 2.) You have two bathrooms to use, 3.) All you have to do is shut the door for some privacy, and 4.) It only costs just a bit more than having a 4 person room.

I booked adjoining cabins for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy and I'm so excited. Good luck deciding.

I am just curious.....if you do connecting rooms do you really have to change th names to the correct room?

In different cabins it's less confusing to get room keys.

For connecting cabins, just leave the interior door open/unlocked. Don't bother with GS.

When we went with our kids last, DD8, DS11, DS15, we had them in a room directly across the hall from us. DS11 has Aspergers. DD and DS11 were in the room long before DS15 came in for the night. As we were getting them in bed, we would call the phone in our room and lay the receiver down on the night table. We cut the phone in our room on speaker phone. DS15 would hang the phone up when he came in (after letting us know he was back). We were able to hear what they were up to and if they started arguing etc.

Last year we had connecting cabins. Worked out great. This year we had a 6K cabin so plenty of room. But unless we stay in an usually large room like a 6K or a suite, which we can never afford, it's connecting cabins or cabins across the hall or next door. Next year we booked an inside for them directly across the hall and will be bringing a small video baby monitor so we can see and hear everything they're doing! :)