Viking Basel-Amsterdam ATMs & Traveler Checks

ashvb

Hi all,

Does anyone know any convenient banks in Basel to the Viking docking location? I am thinking I'll just withdraw at an ATM when I arrive in Basel.

Also, is it still a good idea to bring along some traveler checks?

Thanks!

How are you arriving in Basel? There are ATMs at the airports in Zurich and Basel and in the train station. Second the thought of leaving travelers checks at home. Even if you find a place to cash them, you will lose at large percentage of the value. Enjoy and travel safly. Pat

I work at one of Canada's largest banks, and have to chime in and say leave the travellers cheques at home. We very rarely sell them anymore, not even sure why we still have them in the branches!! Most travellers now rely on ATM cash withdrawals, using credit cards to pay for purchases, and even pre-

ordering the currencies of the countries they are travelling to.

Leaving on our first river cruise in May - Avalon Grand European on the Panorama - and have purchased enough euros/florints to get us started, and will use ATM when we need to replenish.

Please just remember to inform both your bank and credit card company that you will be travelling in Europe.

Have a wonderful trip!

You will find that travellers cheques are rarely used by Europeans these days. You may have difficulty in finding places to change them. I would advise you just to use ATMs and credit cards.

I totally agree with that. You'll find ATMs pretty frequently throughout most European cities - more so than in the US in my experience.

We change our currency at the airport before leaving. Then we can exchange what we have left at the end of the trip for no additional charge. Be sure to call your bank and credit card companies before leaving home. There is a limit on what you can get from an ATM and a euro is not a dollar. (I was refused my first time trying in Italy. I was trying to get too much.) is anyone going on the Paris to Normandy in April of 2015? I cannot find a forum for that trip. We went from Basel to Amsterdam last April and really enjoyed it. I wish we had done the trip from Amsterdam to Basel and ended in Lucerne Switzerland . What a beautiful city!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, all. We're landing in Basel and then we have a transfer to the ship.

Good to know on the traveler's checks.

In terms of getting Euros in advance, is there an exchange company that is best in these circumstances - such as my local bank vs. your run of the mill currency exchange company?

We were docked in an industrial area with no ATMs in sight. Most ships will convert dollars to Local currency and even if the rate isn't good, you have some small amount cash to get you started until you can hit an ATM.

You will need francs in Basel, I don't know whether ATMs there will give Euros and, if they do, what the exchange rate might be. Basel's airport is actually in a France, so ATMs there might give Euros and Francs each at par.

Use bank ATMs rather than Travelex or other exchange machines. Also with a bank ATM, hit the "no" button if asked if you accept the exchange rate. "No" means your withdrawal is in Local currency and your home bank will do the conversion to dollars at a much better rate than if you hit"yes" and the Foreign bank does the conversion.

I have never gotten a good an exchange rate when I converted $ to foreign currency here at home. Much better to use the ATM over there and be assured of getting the interbank rate.

For small amount, the fee is very small and having money in my pocket when I land is peace of mind to me.... Worth the $5 or $6 bucks to not need to look for an ATM when I'm very tired from an International Flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums