luggage locks

weluvthesun

We always use the TSA locks on our bags.

We do as well. I also put them on my backpack that I bring to take off the ship in port. Certainly under no misconception that those little things prevent theft, but also know that they do help to keep honest people honest. And, as a side benefit, prevent the zippers from sliding open.

I often lock my backpack to a chair on the pool deck, and when on beaches in port, just to make it slightly harder for it to walk off while swimming, etc... They would at least have to take the whole chair! :p

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

I use a lock and really not sure why. I've seen how easy it is to open a luggage zipper using a PEN!! But still I lock it. My BF travels with me and he doesn't bother. That wasn't very helpful was it? Sorry. :D

Any thief can get into and out of a locked, zippered suitcase in seconds. Here is a video that demonstrates how easy it is to open one up with a common ball point pen. The bag is opened and closed in this 56 second long video, and because 24 of those seconds are spent on explanations, it really only took the narrator 32 seconds to open, look into, and close the suitcase. Yep, that lock of his worked great. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

I tried this on my suitcase and successfully opened it on my first try. It is really that easy.

Locking a suitcase with a zipper is false security. As someone else has said, thieves look first for expensive luggage that is locked. Those are the suitcases that most likely have something valuable in them. Not a cheap suitcase left unlocked.

I use small cable ties to "lock" the suitcases. Not as protection but as safety --> so that the two zippers, where they meet, can be joined and not open during any sort of transportation. Of course,if the cable ties are not on the suitcases, then I know that they have been opened. I keep a pack of them in a side pocket of my carry on, so that they can be opened at a hotel and then retied for transport on a plane of a ship.

I don't lock mine, never have and never had a problem. I do use brightly colored zip ties to keep the zippers with two tabs from separating, but that's it. If the zip tie is gone, or another color has replaced mine, I will know someone has entered it.

HINT: When using zip ties, remember to bring something you can easily get to to cut them open with! Please, don't ask me how I know that. :D:p;)

Edited by boogs

Yes...anytime your bags are not in your possession, they should be locked. They don't have to be TSA locks...we use Master Keyed locks for luggage. And, anything of value, such as electronics, money, Rx's, jewelry, etc....should be in your carryon...NEVER, EVER check valuables!!!!

If you're flying and you don't want the TSA to cut locks off any of your screened checked bags, which may be deemed suspicious, use TSA locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use TSA locks for planes, hotels and ships.

One time we were sitting in the Neptune Lounge on HAL and when a man came in to complain that all their shoes had been removed from their luggage. They had driven to the port. The first question the concierge asked them was "Sir -- did you have your luggage locked?" He said "No" and she replied that there is nothing we can do. He looked shocked. She explained that the shoes could have been removed by a longshoreman, by HAL worker - - or "Sir -- maybe you forgot to pack them."

Any thief can get into and out of a locked, zippered suitcase in seconds. Here is a video that demonstrates how easy it is to open one up with a common ball point pen. The bag is opened and closed in this 56 second long video, and because 24 of those seconds are spent on explanations, it really only took the narrator 32 seconds to open, look into, and close the suitcase. Yep, that lock of his worked great. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

I tried this on my suitcase and successfully opened it on my first try. It is really that easy.

Locking a suitcase with a zipper is false security. As someone else has said, thieves look first for expensive luggage that is locked. Those are the suitcases that most likely have something valuable in them. Not a cheap suitcase left unlocked.

I don't lock mine, never have and never had a problem. I do use brightly colored zip ties to keep the zippers with two tabs from separating, but that's it. If the zip tie is gone, or another color has replaced mine, I will know someone has entered it.

HINT: When using zip ties, remember to bring something you can easily get to to cut them open with! Please, don't ask me how I know that. :D:p;)

I tried opening the zipper on my older piece of luggage and I could easily with only a ball point pen enter the bag, but my new more expensive luggage I could not enter using the same force as the older piece. That is not to say it couldn't be done but there was a huge difference.

Your use of zip ties is no different then having a lock only on zipper pulls. As with your experiment it was easy to enter your bag with a sharp object and a thief would not have to cut your tie to cover their tracks.

There are a couple of alternatives that I use. Both involve securing your zipper pulls to the handle or D-ring on your luggage. One is to use Lewis N Clark Triple Security Lock. The way this lock works is one end goes through your zipper pulls and the other around your handle. While a thief could still enter your bag through the zipper but will not be able to cover their tracks without removing the lock. Another nice feature of this lock is you and lock your luggage together or to fixed object while in a restaurant, in a hotel lobby, or on a train.

Another way is to use two zip ties or one long one. This is the same principle as the lock above. If using 2 zip ties make a loop with one around a D-ring or handle and loop the other through that zip tie and through your zip pulls. If you have a zip tie long enough you could go through the zip pulls and around the handle. A thief will have to cut the tie cover their tracks.

I like to buy hot sauces when in the Caribbean and the last two times I had them in my checked bag I got a TSA notification they entered my bag. The first time I had the Louise N Clark lock on it. The second time I used the zip ties. With the lock TSA just opened it and relocked my bag. With the zip ties I noticed one zip tie on zipper pulls was cut at luggage carousel and opened my bag to check.

I always lock my luggage not only to deter someone form entering my bag to steal something but also to deter someone adding contraband to it. Time is an enemy of a thief and the longer it take, even if it seconds, the more chances they will be caught.

Shak

I always use small plastic cable ties on my luggage if it will be out of my sight. I carry a nail clipper (no file) so I can easily remove them. I never pack valuables in checked luggage - but I want to know if someone has gotten into my luggage. I do not have expensive luggage (no Rimowa or Louie) just stuff I bought at Costco. It doesn't matter if a pro wants into your luggage they will do so. I used to use locks but they do not work on all cases. The tiny zip ties work on almost everything. Even my carryon - if we leave it with the bellhops at a hotel.

I always use small plastic cable ties on my luggage if it will be out of my sight. I carry a nail clipper (no file) so I can easily remove them. I never pack valuables in checked luggage - but I want to know if someone has gotten into my luggage. I do not have expensive luggage (no Rimowa or Louie) just stuff I bought at Costco. It doesn't matter if a pro wants into your luggage they will do so. I used to use locks but they do not work on all cases. The tiny zip ties work on almost everything. Even my carryon - if we leave it with the bellhops at a hotel.

Us too! If a thief wants into the bags they will get in even with locks. I just try to make mine a little harder than a non-locked bag. Zip ties are great because I know instantly if someone has opened the suitcase - which is all I really need to know. We also don't pack valuable in our luggage and anyone who does is just asking for trouble with your luggage out of your sight so much. I stopped buying TSA locks when several were removed and not reattached. But everytime we use zip ties (but one) they come through without being removed. The one time they were replaced with white ones (we buy bright green so I know they are mine).

We've never used locks in 40 years of traveling; well, maybe about twice, but it was such a nuisance it wasn't worth it. We have nothing in the suitcases that is so valuable we'd be devastated if it was lost--all valuables go in our carry-ons.

The most we could lose would be some clothes (not high end) and souvenirs that while not valuable, we'd miss for the memories.

If you're flying and you don't want the TSA to cut locks off any of your screened checked bags, which may be deemed suspicious, use TSA locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Recently, when we arrived at LAX from Sydney the TSA lock on our soft luggage was gone and the zipper pulls were missing as well. It seemed it had been yanked off forcefully. We only had dirty clothes and shoes in that suitcase and nothing was missing. It was not a nice experience.

Worked on construction projects at DIA.

Down on the baggage level were loads of baggage locks that came with folks luggage. Dozens and dozens of types and sizes. I picked up a bunch for my Grandson to play with. There were only two types of keys that were also on the floor that opened every one of those locks. Locks keep the honest folks out. We just use twist ties on the zippers to hold them together.

Zip ties (nylon only) are used for our baggage labels. Harry ;)

I tried opening the zipper on my older piece of luggage and I could easily with only a ball point pen enter the bag, but my new more expensive luggage I could not enter using the same force as the older piece. That is not to say it couldn't be done but there was a huge difference.

Shak

The trick with the ball point pen only works on plastic zippers. It does not work on metal zippers.

For those that claim locks make the luggage a target, I assume that using the same logic you also leave your car and home unlocked.

Hi everyone. Can you tell me if we should or should not lock our luggage prior to bringing it to the ship for embarkation? Thanks in advance.

In more than a dozen cruises we have never locked our luggage.

We have a luggage strap around it so it doesn't accidentally open and is easily identified by us.

Our valuables are in our carryon which we have with us until we get to our cabin.

Edited by NMLady

The trick with the ball point pen only works on plastic zippers. It does not work on metal zippers.

Very few pieces of luggage these days have metal zippers. Virtually all have nylon - not plastic - zippers. And, more importantly, a thief familiar with this trick will have a much more substantial device than a common pen in his pocket. With the correct tool, and enough force, even metal zippers can be pushed open.

For those that claim locks make the luggage a target, I assume that using the same logic you also leave your car unlocked.

That is a foolish argument to make. I do lock my car. My car is worth tens of thousands of dollars, my luggage and it's contents, not so much.

.....and your home unlocked.

That is an even more foolish argument to make. I do lock my home. It and the contents are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, my luggage and it's contents, not so much.

For people who think that locking your luggage will protect it, be aware that a thief can easily pick up and move your luggage to a safe place to open it. Do you really think they want to be seen rummaging through it? And since it has now been moved to a different location, the entire luggage item AND it's contents will be out of place and not be available to be transferred to it's next destination.

There is a much higher risk of it being lost or stolen than items being taken from it.

Edited by SantaFeFan

For those that claim locks make the luggage a target, I assume that using the same logic you also leave your car and home unlocked.

No my other bag has plastic zippers they are just better quality.

Shak

How do you know this? Do you often break into other people's luggage?

Right! Smart comparison. I leave my luggage out on the street all the time, so I guess I should start locking it!!! Thanks for the tip.

As for my house, since it is left unattended for hours each day while we are at work, it makes sense to lock it. How many hours do you leave your luggage unattended in public each day while you go to work?

In an earlier posted I lock my luggage. I should have said I lock all luggage including carry on. While not huge there seems to be an increasing reports of missing items from carry on luggage. In fact a member of CC reported on a different forum a few months ago that her laptop was taken from an overhead bin while she slept. She discovered the theft after the flight. Another reason to lock your carry on is they often get gate checked.

Here are a couple of links on this subject. The first link is from Detective Kevin Coffey. He is a veteran policeman of 33 years and founded the Airport Crimes Investigation Detail for the Los Angles police department. There are many topics on his website to help you become a more aware traveler.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/category/airlines/tip/airline-on-board-theft

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/travel-safety-tips/beat-bag-thieves/

Shak

In an earlier posted I lock my luggage. I should have said I lock all luggage including carry on. While not huge there seems to be an increasing reports of missing items from carry on luggage. In fact a member of CC reported on a different forum a few months ago that her laptop was taken from an overhead bin while she slept. She discovered the theft after the flight. Another reason to lock your carry on is they often get gate checked.

Here are a couple of links on this subject. The first link is from Detective Kevin Coffey. He is a veteran policeman of 33 years and founded the Airport Crimes Investigation Detail for the Los Angles police department. There are many topics on his website to help you become a more aware traveler.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/category/airlines/tip/airline-on-board-theft

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/travel-safety-tips/beat-bag-thieves/

Shak

I've got a better/easier solution... don't put valuables in your checked bags (or your carryon bags you put above you). My wallet stays in my pocket. My laptop, camera, other electronics, and passports (when I carry them) stay in my backpack under the seat in front of me (or with me on a cruise before we get to our cabin).

I've got a better/easier solution... don't put valuables in your checked bags (or your carryon bags you put above you). My wallet stays in my pocket. My laptop, camera, other electronics, and passports (when I carry them) stay in my backpack under the seat in front of me (or with me on a cruise before we get to our cabin).

That is the game plan I follow. But I still lock my checked luggage.

That is the game plan I follow. But I still lock my checked luggage.

Nothing wrong with locking your luggage, as long as you don't fool yourself into thinking that you are somehow more protected than someone who doesn't. If it makes you feel better, then do it. But if your carefully locked suitcase ever disappears, then you will have personal experience with how little protection that cheap, easily opened lock actually gave you, and hopefully you will come back here and tell us all about how good that lock worked for you. :D

BTW: most thieves could care less about being careful with your suitcase. All they want to do it look inside for anything valuable. They can easily use the knife they probably have on them anyway and cut through the fabric, then taking whatever they find of value to them, and leaving a damaged, unusable suitcase that no longer can hold whatever the thief left behind. You will have lost some of the contents, PLUS a perfectly good piece of luggage. And the person who did not lock theirs still has perfectly good luggage to carry what wasn't stolen.

The only way to really protect yourself is to bring along a metal safe that you never let out of your sight, preferably attached to your waist with a chain. ;)

Edited by fortinweb