No formal nights

Stich17

Not entriely sure how this will work.

If we fancy a restuarant that requires formal wear are we going to be the only ones walking around dressed up ? Won't that be a bit odd ?

I like it when everyone makes the effort even if its just for 1 night per cruise. Great to people watch

What are other peoples thoughts on this ?

If we fancy a restuarant that requires formal wear are we going to be the only ones walking around dressed up ? Won't that be a bit odd?

Not to worry. Everyone else will no doubt know what the deal is. I love the idea of formal night any night you want (or not). We have reservations there on two nights and looking forward to both. We are also booked for Chef's Table and (I need to check again) it may also be formal! To each his own.

I agree it's kind of weird to be amongst only a small percentage who are dressed up on any given night. It sort of distracts from the specialness when it is not the theme throughout the ship on a designated night and most people are dressed likewise.

Edited by DonnaK

I agree it's kind of weird to be amongst only a small percentage who are dressed up on any given night. It sort of distracts from the specialness when it is not the theme throughout the ship on a designated night and most people are dressed likewise.

I agree, it does take away from the 'grandeur' of formal night. We always thought formal night was a special night and a special occasion.

Wondering if we are going to have to dodge the photographers blocking the isles and stairs every night of the cruise?

I feel sorry for ME. I love dressing up so much, but my other half hates it with a passion. So, when there was a designated formal night, I had a half reasonable odds of getting him to wear a tux - because everyone else was.... Now there is no specified night, what do you think my chances are? I know what they are - NIL. :eek:

But what can you do eh? You can't say anything to anybody because it smacks of being a princess who is complaining because her tiara doesnt have the right shape diamonds to match her earrings.

I know I can moan here though because there are people who will understand.

Guest maddycat

If we fancy a restuarant that requires formal wear are we going to be the only ones walking around dressed up ? Won't that be a bit odd ?

I like it when everyone makes the effort even if its just for 1 night per cruise. Great to people watch

I love the whole DD concept. You want formal, you go the the Grande. You want casual, you go to any of the other restaurants. Everyone gets a choice.

I feel sorry for ME. I love dressing up so much, but my other half hates it with a passion. So, when there was a designated formal night, I had a half reasonable odds of getting him to wear a tux - because everyone else was.... Now there is no specified night, what do you think my chances are? I know what they are - NIL. :eek:

But what can you do eh? You can't say anything to anybody because it smacks of being a princess who is complaining because her tiara doesnt have the right shape diamonds to match her earrings.

I know I can moan here though because there are people who will understand.

Compromise, two dinners each night! ;)

The one thing that I like most about dynamic dining is the complete lack of formal nights. I do not believe I have to dress in a particular fashion in order to fit in. To be honest, I would not feel the least bit out of place because I choose to dress the way I do. BTW, I wouldn't dress up if you gave me a tuxedo.

Even on today's ships, not "everyone" makes an effort to dress up and on nights when the suggested dress is "formal" you should have noticed that the suggestion is not strictly enforced. There are even some guests who, while they may dress formally for dinner, will change into more relaxed attire once the meal has ended, so it should not be that much different on Quantum than on any other ship. And with a few hundred people dining in Grande each evening, you definitely won't be the only ones walking around dressed up.

Why do you care what other people wear? In everyday life, everyone is wearing something different, try going out for a nice dinner and look around; suits, sweaters, jeans, etc.

Why do you care what other people wear? In everyday life, everyone is wearing something different, try going out for a nice dinner and look around; suits, sweaters, jeans, etc.

My thoughts exactly, but typically when I say this around here I get yelled at for 3 days on end.

Formal dinner is just that for my wife and I, dinner. As soon as we are finished with dinner we take a couple of pictures then straight to our room to change into something more comfortable for the evening. On our most recent cruises we have noticed very few people keeping on their formal attire unless they had the late dinner seating.

Formal dinner is just that for my wife and I, dinner. As soon as we are finished with dinner we take a couple of pictures then straight to our room to change into something more comfortable for the evening. On our most recent cruises we have noticed very few people keeping on their formal attire unless they had the late dinner seating.

I'm curious. If wearing formal attire is the most enjoyable experience on a cruise ship, why is everyone in such a rush to ditch the formal wear? I'm looking forward to Dynamic Dining where I can be comfortable for the entire evening.

To the comments above, I don't care if people dress up or not. I'm not one for critisicing people who don't dress up, thats their choice. My idea of people watching is more positive like 'oo what a lovely dress', 'don't those kiddies look cute' etc.