Breeze Review - 6 night to Key West, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Kel040

My Review of the Breeze SEPT 21- to SEPT 27

I hope to include most details but to be honest with you I do suffer from CRS (can’t remember $@#+), but I’ll do my best. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

I know some people don’t care to hear the back story, so I will keep that brief and use heading if you want to skip ahead.

PRE-CRUISE

We just cruised on the Breeze SEPT 21- to SEPT 27. This was a 6 night cruise stopping in Key West, Grand Cayman & Cozumel. Travelling was myself, DH, DD (23) and her BF (23). We had 2 balcony cabins ( # 10258 & 10260) on the LIDO deck.. This was the 5th cruise for DH & I, 3rd for DD and 1st for her BF. This cruise was booked in February and by the time we cruised we had a $640 OBC and DD had a $ 400. OBC. About 2 months before the cruise, I had made our Steakhouse (more on that later ) reservations. I also decided to email the MDR Maitre D’ and take a shot and ask for a 4 top table by a window for our 6:00pm dining. About 2 days before we were to sail I received an email from the Sr. Maitre D’ of the Breeze – it said…

Sure.

Your request has been accommodated.

Thank you and Regards,

Fernando Xavier Martins

Sr. Maître D’ - Carnival Breeze

I was so excited !!!

Leaving Ontario

Normally DH and I will drive to FLA and visit his family for a few days before or after cruise. Our drive south is always a 2 days drive and we stop about dinner time, for the night and then arrive at his sisters early the next afternoon. This time the kids (DD & her BF) talked us into travelling straight thru with us all taking turns driving. This would be about 1200 miles (17 hrs) from home to my SIL’s near Gainesville FLA and then 2 days later an additional 350 miles (5 hrs) to Port of Miami.

Tuesday Sept 16th we left Ontario (Niagara area) at 9:00pm – DH & DD’s BF said they would do the night time driving and DD and I could share the driving from sunrise till whenever they were rested enough to take over.

Without boring you all with the details, this plan did not work out at all ! No one slept, we saw dead deer, live deer, and drove thru construction, fog & rain !! The fog through the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia was very heavy. We had to take bathroom breaks along the way – a couple of stops in the middle of the night at a few sketchy gas stations which were a little scary too. By 5:30am I decided enough is enough and we would have to stop at the next rest area and we would turn off the car for an hour which would force everyone to rest. We all did manage to catch a bit of sleep on and off the second half of the journey but it never feels like you really rested.

IMG_20140917_155642.jpg

IMG_20140917_074133.jpg

FLORIDA pre-cruise

Tired & cranky and needing a change of clothes, we arrived at my SIL’s about 6:00pm. Let me do the math for you: we’d been in the car for 21 hours !! this was including my mandatory 1 hour rest period and 2 eat-in restaurant stops, then all the little bathroom breaks and 2 stops for fuel. We filled up at home, then in West Virginia and then again in South Carolina.

On Saturday morning, we left SIL’s to head to Miami. I had researched Port of Miami hotels, parking and shuttles here on CC and decided to make reservations at the Holiday Inn – Downtown Miami Beach and we would park at the cruise port. (in May of this year – we had been to Florida to visit SIL and spend time with the family in Sebastian – at that time I bought SunPass for the Florida turnpike and so it was still on my car windshield). The drive to Miami was easy, DD’s BF drove the whole way. Since we had the SunPass, I just loaded $ 20 more on it and we just sailed through all the tolls. I think we stopped twice at service centre’s – we went through a huge downpour of rain just as we made it to Miami – we had the wipers going like crazy !!

The hotel was really nice. We booked a King Suite with a bay view and had a great view of the Port and the ships docked there. The King Suite was one of the corner rooms.

IMG_20140920_183545.jpg

IMG_20140920_164328.jpg

Once the rain had cleared we went across the street to the Bayside Mall and had dinner at Bubba Gumps. That was a first for us. I liked the Forrest Gump theme, although I am not a fan of seafood – DD & I had a burger and it was okay. BF had some spicy shrimp dish and DH had crabcakes. They liked it.

IMG_20140920_183545-1.jpg

IMG_20140920_172827.jpg

IMG_20140920_172843.jpg

EMBARKMENT

DH woke me about 6ish to tell me that the Breeze was pulling into Port. That was so exciting to see knowing we’d be boarding in just a few hours.

IMG_20140921_072822.jpg

Being just across the bridge from the Port of Miami I knew we could be there within minutes of leaving hotel and so we had no real agenda to get to Port early. We decided to be ready to go by 10:00am and get parked and into Port by 10:30 would be good. This hotel did not have a free breakfast so DH went onto his laptop and found that there was a McDonalds’ just around the corner. The guys went and pick up some coffee and Egg Mc Muffins while DD and I got ready to go. We were all ready sitting there in the room at 9:30 so we just went. We found it a little confusing for drop off and parking which was our fault cause we were there so early, disembarking passengers were still waiting to be picked up by shuttles and were outside waiting with luggage for pickup.

DH dropped us off with all the luggage and went to park the car. Since we had a roof top carrier we had to park in the outdoor lot but it was easy to get to and still quite empty. We checked the luggage the outside porter. This process all went very quickly and DH hadn’t even come back from the parking lot and the doors were open and we were allowed to go in. I actually had to the tell the Carnival lady, thank you but I’m just waiting for my husband. He was there in a minute or 2 and on we went.

The line she was showing us to go into, you couldn’t even call it a line, because there was no one in it and everyone was going directly into the building. Inside there was 2 directions to go, FFTF/ VIP and other. We went to go in the other and there were no CCL employees there working the line yet, so we were told to use the FFTF/VIP entrance – I quickly pointed out were not FFTF/VIP – she said it was okay cause there was no one else even in the line at that time (either line for that matter), so there we were walking directly up to the security check-in, bags went through, we went through and we were clear to go. I can’t remember exactly what time it was but we were inside and lined up to pick up our S&S cards by about 10:30am. At the S&S desk, we were told all cabins would be ready by 12:30pm. The wait was not that long and our zone - ZONE 2, was called for us to board.

On board there was no delay, we went directly to the elevators and up to the 10th floor LIDO deck. Once off the elevator there was a CCL staff person available to help anyone that needed it. With our cabins being right there by the elevators, I wanted to show the kids how close there were and the door to the hallway was open. I pointed to cabin # 10260 and asked the CCL guy could we just drop our bags quickly and he said “sure” ..

I was already so impressed with the staff & ship – I knew I was going to love the Breeze !

ADIOS MIAMI !!!

IMG_20140921_165405.jpg

IMG_20140921_165340.jpg

IMG_20140921_170106.jpg

(stay tuned - more to come..)

I also decided to email the MDR Maitre D’ and take a shot and ask for a 4 top table by a window for our 6:00pm dining. About 2 days before we were to sail I received an email from the Sr. Maitre D’ of the Breeze – it said…

Sure.

Your request has been accommodated.

Thank you and Regards,

Fernando Xavier Martins

Sr. Maître D’ - Carnival Breeze

I have never reached out to the Maitre D before to put in a special request. May I ask what you put in the email? My request will pretty much be the same... Windows help me avoid getting seasick. It's like having too much to drink and keeping one foot on the floor to prevent the room from spinning...well maybe not that bad. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DAY 1

We were told that the cabins would be ready by 12:30pm and just as promised the announcement was made right at 12:30pm that it was now ok to go to your cabins. It was perfect timing because we had just finished our introductory “Guy’s Burger”.. Our gang all agreed the burger was good. DH and DD’s BF liked the Chili Maximus and DD and I liked the Plain Jane with cheese and then we just added our own toppings. I think by now everyone has seen a million Guy’s burger photo’s – so what the heck, here’s another one !

IMG_20140921_115659.jpg

I did not feel that the Lido deck was overly crowded for the first day lunch scramble as I had anticipated and had experienced on past cruises. Actually I never felt the Breeze was over crowded and I never really experienced any long lines except for the Comedy show which I will review on day 2.

Cabin

We were in cabin 10258 and DD/BF were in cabin 10260. These were not connecting cabins however were able to get the partition opened between the balconies which was all we needed.

IMG_20140924_120441.jpg

IMG_20140924_120459.jpg

IMG_20140924_120521.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments ! I hope to cover Day 2 & 3 tomorrow..

Great start, Kelly! It was great meeting you :) Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Hi Sharon ! It was great meeting you too ! I envy you and hope to do a solo cruise someday my self !!

I have never reached out to the Maitre D before to put in a special request. May I ask what you put in the email? My request will pretty much be the same... Windows help me avoid getting seasick. It's like having too much to drink and keeping one foot on the floor to prevent the room from spinning...well maybe not that bad. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi - I emailed 'brmaitred@carnival.com' and just explained that we were celebrating my belated birthday and also that I was a big fan of Carnival. I told him we were turning GOLD this cruise and that it was my 5th cruise but first time on the Breeze. Then I just said I'm sure you are busy so I will get to the point.. etc.. etc. and I just asked if at all possible could we be seated at table for 4 by a window.. I really didn't expect to have my request granted because I am sure there are a lot of more deserving people out there.. but it worked... I was thrilled.

I've emailed him back since I returned, and thanked him and told him how happy we were with our MDR experience..

Good luck with you request ! :D

Great start on this review! I will be following this one! We are on the Breeze in April. Second cruise for us and first for our kids. Two of your ports are the same as ours. We are doing Jamaica instead of Key West.

Cant wait to read/see more!

D

Did there look to be adequate Hotel parking at the Holiday Inn - when we looked at them last Feb they had limited on-site parking? Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken -

We didn't feel there was lots of parking at the hotel - we didn't even park there. Three of the streets surrounding the hotel are one way. We went past the hotel lot looking for a check-in drive thru because it was pouring rain but the front of the hotel was all taxis and there was no where for us to stop, even just to drop off. Then we were at the next parking lot which we thought was also Holiday Inn but turned out to be an independent lot just a chain link fence dividing it from the hotel lot. It was a secure lot and $20.00 to park. Holiday Inn was $ 25.00, so we just stayed in the independent lot - by then the rain was slowing down and we just walked along sidewalk to hotel entrance..

Day 1 – cont.

After lunch we toured the ship and had our first DOD !! :D One of our suitcases was at the cabin when we returned around 2:30 – I got that upacked and we relaxed a bit till it was time for the Muster Drill. One tip I learned here on CC and always do is to unpack and store suitcases under the bed. It really helps to keep cabin organized and with those cases stored away under the bed, you can make the most of the space you have available.

Our Muster station was in the Ovation theatre which is located FWD on the ship, with entrances on decks 3,4 & 5. We had to enter at deck 5. Just a heads up – this is the most upper level of the theatre and they started filling the seats at the very VERY top row and for my DH who is about 6’3” there is not much leg room up there. The CCL crew ask you to move along in the seats and not leave any empty. Once they waited for everyone to get in and seated they started the drill. A pre-recorded instructional presentation is played ship wide with CCL crew standing all in all sections of the theatre demonstrating along with the instructions we are listening to. This does not begin till every passenger is present in their muster stations and unfortunately there are passengers that are cruising for the first time or just unaware that you are waiting for them to get started.. I’ve never been late for a drill so I don’t really know what they are dealing with, but you do know that you are waiting for the late comers before they will start.

After the muster drill we immediately went up to the Sports deck for sailaway. Earlier in the week, DD’s BF set his mother’s computer up for her so she could click on a link to see the Port of Miami WebCam and watch the sail away.. He stayed on the phone with her while she watched and when she told us there was a close-up, we all waved. She said she saw us, so that was fun for her !

This picture is a screen shot I took the week before of the Breeze pulling out at Port of Miami from the webcam.

breezelive.jpg

(webcam site www dot portofmiamiwebcam dot com)

We were on this cruise also! We loved the Breeze and Matt, the cruise director, is great! We were disappointed by the rain in Cozumel which forced us to cancel our excursion that we were really looking forward to, but mother nature has a mind of her own and we hung out at Fat Tuesdays. If anyone is comtemplating going on the Breeze, do it!!!!

We were on this cruise also! We loved the Breeze and Matt, the cruise director, is great! We were disappointed by the rain in Cozumel which forced us to cancel our excursion that we were really looking forward to, but mother nature has a mind of her own and we hung out at Fat Tuesdays. If anyone is comtemplating going on the Breeze, do it!!!!

We didn't let the Cozumel weather bother us either - we love cruising and loved the Breeze. We did not have any excursions planned for that port and just did some shopping... it was still a great day ! :D