iPad use

cruzisme

It is also good to know that you can use your internet minutes more wisely with your own device, like the ipad or a laptop. You can download your email then read off line and compose replies off line then log in again and send them. Last time I used the ships computers you couldn't open tabs to load pages to read offline later either.

Just got off of a 5 day & 4 day B2B. Used my iPad in my cabin without any problems. Had to leave the sliding door open to use it on the balcony. If you and your spouse are both Elite, you both get the free minutes. We had a total of 300 minutes to use on both the 5 day and 4 day cruises. It was great. You'll need the minutes as the speed is very slow.

One thing to remember is that your time on the internet doesn't stop because you shut down your machine or go off-line. Your times end when you log out of the ships wi-fi service. You could actual use up your entire minutes if you fail to log out.

Also the first thing you should do is stop by the internet cafe and pickup a sheet of paper that has step by step instruction on logging in and out.

Edited by born2cruize

Great advice about logging out of the internet when done. That cannot be emphasized too much to prevent surprises when all your internet minutes disappear. You have to purposely log off the internet connection. Simply shutting down the window, turning off your WiFi or shutting down the computer will not log you off the ship internet and the charges will continue until your minute are gone.

Just got off of a 5 day & 4 day B2B. Used my iPad in my cabin without any problems. Had to leave the sliding door open to use it on the balcony. If you and your spouse are both Elite, you both get the free minutes. We had a total of 300 minutes to use on both the 5 day and 4 day cruises. It was great. You'll need the minutes as the speed is very slow.

XYankee do you know how many minutes platinum gets on a five day cruise?

Thank you !

Reader

It is also good to know that you can use your internet minutes more wisely with your own device, like the ipad or a laptop. You can download your email then read off line and compose replies off line then log in again and send them. Last time I used the ships computers you couldn't open tabs to load pages to read offline later either.

Not sure I know how to do this on my ipad-- the part about downloading and reading off line etc.

Could you explain to a senior what this means?:)

Not sure I know how to do this on my ipad-- the part about downloading and reading off line etc.

Good morning,

Whatever iPad application you use to receive and read/send your email essentially should work the same way.

1) log onto wifi as you always do

2) open your email program/app and download your emails as you always do

3) log out of the ship's wifi (remember this is VERY IMPORTANT or you will continue to use your minutes)

4) with your email program/app still open you can now work through your emails as you normally do (you can read them, reply to them (it will put them in an "outbox"), delete them, generate brand new emails, etc)

*** the program/app will remember what actions you've taken, so next time you log onto wifi it will actually carry them out, e.g., it will take those replies you've written which have been sitting in your outbox and send them.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Mike

XYankee do you know how many minutes platinum gets on a five day cruise?

"Each Platinum Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle member will receive a complimentary Internet credit to be used either on the computers in our Internet Cafés or wireless Internet on the passenger’s personal wireless device. The amount of complimentary Internet is determined by the length of the sailing.

7 days or less 150

8-20 days 250

21+ days 500"

Reader, my wife and I got 150 minute each for the 5 day cruise and another 300 minutes for the 4 day cruise. Any unused minutes from the first curise were carried over to the second cruise and used before the next 150 minutes on the second cruise kicked in.

Don't feel bad, I had to get step by step instructions from a friend!!!

Our Internet minutes also carried over from one cruise to the next when we did back-to-back cruises. I heard from others who were doing the same cruises that their minutes did not carry over because they had switched cabins.

To sign off (IIRC) type 1.1.1.1. in the address bar. I think that logoff.com also works.

There should be printed instructions in the internet cafe - just pop in and pick up a copy.

Edited by lake5298

I've had no problem using an iPad on the ship, although I had no WiFi signal in my cabin (inside cabin on Aloha deck) on the Golden Princess so I had to go out into the common areas to use it.

In the middle of the night, I could use my IPad in the cabin, but otherwise, infrequently. What was annoying was logging out with "logout.com" and finding out, I was not logged out. We were on a 4 day, so the lost few minutes didn't matter. With the difficulty in logging on, we had at least an hour and a half left from our free 150 minutes per person when we disembarked.

Edited by candide333