Pregnancy fit to travel note reqirement

I stole this topic from the Princess group. I didn't see it being discussed for RCCL.

My husband and I just booked a 3 night Bahama cruise leaving 10/31/14 out of port Canaveral. I will be 19 weeks pregnant during the cruise (about a month within the 24 week rule), so I sent an email to the special needs email address to get some clarification. The FAQ and pregnancy area of the RCCL website still states that a fit to travel note is required. I received an email back saying that the note is no longer needed. I am very skeptical, and will have my doctor provide one anyway just to be safe. But I'm wondering, is there anyone (preferably someone noticeably pregnant) who has been able to cruise without providing this note since the policy change?

I sailed at 23 weeks pregnant two years ago, back when they had the note policy. I was VISIBLY pregnant!

I had the note from my doctor just in case.

No one ever asked me for a note. The security guard asked me if I was pregnant and I started to take out my note, but she stopped me and said she just wanted me to walk around the metal detector instead of going through it.

They all commented on my belly and asked how far along I was, but I was never given any trouble :)

We're going again in November with a group, one of our group members will be 23.5 weeks pregnant. Her DH is an OB/GYN and they verified all this as well. No note needed.

Enjoy your cruise.

IMG_1984_zps52ca69bc.jpg

Edited by smileyperry

Prefect! Thanks for sharing your experience! I guess I'll just plan on showing up without a note. Maybe I'll print out the email saying that I don't need the notes just in case :)

Probably a good idea.:)

My DW will be at 22 weeks when we sail this month. I contacted RCI at the end of July regarding when the Fit to Travel note was required before our cruise. They didn't answer the question but confirmed the note was needed and was to be faxed. They also provided the email address for the Access Department.

This was obviously before they changed the requirements - which seems to be well known on CC but RCI has not found time to update their FAQs. We went ahead and got a note from the physician's office anyway and rather than fax it (so archaic) I emailed the Access Department a copy last night at special_needs@rccl.com. Email is easier and at least I'll retain a copy along with confirmation they received it on my phone.

All I've received so far is the automated response confirming receipt. I'l keep you posted on any further communication related to the note.

Personally, it doesn't hurt to get the note and I feel better submitting it given that on at least one place on the RCI website it says that it is required.

Congratulations! :)

Edited by aurelius180
It's October 1 so we sail this month and not next!!

I agree! I was reading those horror stories and got worried! Maybe I'll get a doctor's note and print out the email to cover all my bases ;) Good thing that my husband already knows that I'm a total nut haha

I'd bring one anyway, but that's just me. I've been flying with my show cats for 30 years. The airlines require a rabies and health certificate which I've had to show only a handful of times. Since TSA has taken over security, no one has ever asked. Do I still carry them? You bet.

Looks like you guys are all set. It sounds like being ready for anything is the best way to go. You never know who is going to be checking you in and what their knowledge of the policy is.

Exactly! It's way to easy for someone at the pier to have erroneous information and I'm not going to jeopordize our vacation, or delay boarding in any way, over a simple piece of paper. :D

I'll be 24 weeks two days after we disembark. I already had a note from my doctor so I'm bringing it just in case. But yes, RCI confirmed to me that you don't need one. I'm not about to risk it though. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be 24 weeks two days after we disembark. I already had a note from my doctor so I'm bringing it just in case. But yes, RCI confirmed to me that you don't need one. I'm not about to risk it though. ;)

Delete. misread days.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I just wanted to post an update. Below is the response I received from the Access Department after emailing a copy of the "Fit to Travel" letter last night:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your inquiry. Our policy has recently changed and we no longer require a fit to travel letter. You will only be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire when you arrive at the pier.

Best regards,

Access Staff

Anisah

I sailed at 23 weeks pregnant two years ago, back when they had the note policy. I was VISIBLY pregnant!

I had the note from my doctor just in case.

No one ever asked me for a note. The security guard asked me if I was pregnant and I started to take out my note, but she stopped me and said she just wanted me to walk around the metal detector instead of going through it.

They all commented on my belly and asked how far along I was, but I was never given any trouble :)

We're going again in November with a group, one of our group members will be 23.5 weeks pregnant. Her DH is an OB/GYN and they verified all this as well. No note needed.

Enjoy your cruise.

Bizarre that the doctor is going on the cruise.

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the begining of, or at any time during, the cruise or cruise tour."

That mark is met at 23 weeks. When you ARE 23 weeks, you are ENTERING the 24th week. (when I turn 45, I'm entering my 46th year)

I'd keep it quiet as to how far along she is, because she doesn't (and you didn't) meet their guidelines.

Bizarre that the doctor is going on the cruise.

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the begining of, or at any time during, the cruise or cruise tour."

That mark is met at 23 weeks. When you ARE 23 weeks, you are ENTERING the 24th week. (when I turn 45, I'm entering my 46th year)

I'd keep it quiet as to how far along she is, because she doesn't (and you didn't) meet their guidelines.

The doctor is her husband. He is an obgyn by profession, not HER doctor.

Depending on the length of cruise, it is not outside of guidelines.

I sailed within the allowable limits. I had not yet entered my 24th week. It was a 5-day cruise. I was off the ship before I entered my 24th week.

I think you're thinking about this way too hard. When you are entering your 24th week that begins on the 24th week, not 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by smileyperry

I sailed in 2009 when I was 18 weeks pregnant with spontaneous TRIPLETS. I really shouldn't have gone at all given the potential problems, but we booked long before I was pregnant and we did not have travel insurance. I didn't tell anyone on the ship that I was pregnant, but it was obvious. I did have a note and my complete medical record in my safe in my room just in case. Everything was fine. No problems.

The doctor is her husband. He is an obgyn by profession, not HER doctor.

Depending on the length of cruise, it is not outside of guidelines.

I sailed within the allowable limits. I had not yet entered my 24th week. It was a 5-day cruise. I was off the ship before I entered my 24th week.

I think you're thinking about this way too hard. When you are entering your 24th week that begins on the 24th week, not 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Once you reach 23 weeks, you are entering your 24th week. It's common OB terminology. If you reach 23 weeks before disembarkation day, you're over the limit.