How come rooms not ready?

I see what you're saying completely. The best of both worlds would be still be able to board at 11ish and have our rooms ready so we don't have to schlep luggage. That would be everyone's first choice obviously (I would think)

The rooms are ready when you board on Princess but isn't the trade off having to wait until later to board? If that's the case, personally I'd rather be able to board earlier and schlep luggage than wait until 1 to board.

Now, if Princess lets you board at 11 AND has your room ready they are definitely doing it better than RC and I hope RC would copy whatever they're doing :cool:

I have been on many Princess cruises and those ones have all started boarding around 11 and

the rooms are ready. This is out of Port Everglades for us. They really do have it down good.

I was on a forum once which asked you not to post unless you've read the last 15 pages; I've skimmed through, but if I've missed someone making this point I'm sorry.

I've been on one Princess Cruise so far; I enjoyed it and we have another one booked--even though we still prefer Royal overall.

It WAS convenient being able to go directly to the room, and we didn't have the problem that some seem to have had about the room not being perfectly ready--it was all we could have asked for. On the final day, though, they were pushing very hard to get us out of the rooms MUCH earlier than Royal does. So there was a trade-off. Most of the time, I'd rather have the extra time for disembarkation. One has been known to overdo it on the last night from time to time...

We have done several cruises with Princess and our upcoming one is on RCI the first one for a long time. We went quite awhile without cruising and now are doing more. I am one who will appreciate the later disembarkation. Don't have a problem pulling a small wheeled carry-on around until our cabin is ready. We will do the same thing that several others are doing and that is one of us staying with the bags while the other gets lunch. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

You have to vacate your room by 8AM on Princess final morning. On RCI you don't. That's the trade off.

So, after umpteen posts, there is your answer to RCCL improving to the Princess way. Get tossed from your room by 8 am or don't start boarding until the rooms are ready at 1 pm.

I was on a forum once which asked you not to post unless you've read the last 15 pages; I've skimmed through, but if I've missed someone making this point I'm sorry.

I've been on one Princess Cruise so far; I enjoyed it and we have another one booked--even though we still prefer Royal overall.

It WAS convenient being able to go directly to the room, and we didn't have the problem that some seem to have had about the room not being perfectly ready--it was all we could have asked for. On the final day, though, they were pushing very hard to get us out of the rooms MUCH earlier than Royal does. So there was a trade-off. Most of the time, I'd rather have the extra time for disembarkation. One has been known to overdo it on the last night from time to time...

Ugh, this was me on the last cruise! I was so determined to "make the best of every last moment" ..... Yeah I'm pretty sure the room was still spinning when I got up. Glad for that extra disembarkation time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would never fly here since there are any number of people who read the question and immediately hit reply. :D

BTW, did you mean 15 posts rather than 15 pages?:eek:

So, I just printed out my Set Sail for my upcoming cruise. It says, "Check-in time range 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm." If you followed their rules, your room will be ready upon boarding. They just choose to let you on board earlier (more $$ in their pocket).

That would never fly here since there are any number of people who read the question and immediately hit reply. :D

BTW, did you mean 15 posts rather than 15 pages?:eek:

No--the late, lamented Television Without Pity asked contributors to a given thread to have read the last 15 pages. As a result, I did a lot more reading than posting.

You can still go to your cabin.

I've seen several cruises where you are prevented from going down cabin hallways by closed doors with crew members blocking them. Not a problem for us, we check most of our bags and put swimsuits in our carry on.

So, I just printed out my Set Sail for my upcoming cruise. It says, "Check-in time range 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm." If you followed their rules, your room will be ready upon boarding. They just choose to let you on board earlier (more $$ in their pocket).

Exactly. That's a great point. I have never received any RCI documentation stating an earlier boarding time than 1pm. If any of us take it upon ourselves to show up and board earlier than the time our docs say to, it does come across as a little whiney to complain about rooms not being open.

Exactly. That's a great point. I have never received any RCI documentation stating an earlier boarding time than 1pm. If any of us take it upon ourselves to show up and board earlier than the time our docs say to, it does come across as a little whiney to complain about rooms not being open.

Everyone on this site says show up early, it is day one of your vacation, we get onboard by 11, etc., so on and so forth. It is a great point that they let you on earlier so you can start spending money, but if the documentation does say 1 PM then RCI is the one breaking their policy, not the guest. The guest doesn't choose when to be allowed on the ship. So it is another instance of RCI reality and RCI policy not matching up and / or being vague.

Everyone on this site says show up early, it is day one of your vacation, we get onboard by 11, etc., so on and so forth. It is a great point that they let you on earlier so you can start spending money, but if the documentation does say 1 PM then RCI is the one breaking their policy, not the guest. The guest doesn't choose when to be allowed on the ship. So it is another instance of RCI reality and RCI policy not matching up and / or being vague.

Really?

Come on, I'm sure even your desire to be confrontational at any given chance has to give way to logic here... that 1-4pm time is a suggestion, not a rule.

Really?

Come on, I'm sure even your desire to be confrontational at any given chance has to give way to logic here... that 1-4pm time is a suggestion, not a rule.

You just agreed with me. Not sure what is confrontational about that:confused:

Everyone on this site says show up early, it is day one of your vacation, we get onboard by 11, etc., so on and so forth.

People on these boards also tell others how to smuggle alcohol on board. Just because it is here, doesn't make it right.

...but if the documentation does say 1 PM then RCI is the one breaking their policy, not the guest.

You just agreed with me. Not sure what is confrontational about that:confused:

Perhaps I mistook your first comment as a complaint about RCI "breaking policy". My point was that the boarding time is a suggestion, not "policy". Perhaps we just have a different view of the definition of the word.

Perhaps I mistook your first comment as a complaint about RCI "breaking policy". My point was that the boarding time is a suggestion, not "policy". Perhaps we just have a different view of the definition of the word.

Also, when checking in early, we have been informed that we may board, but we would not be able to get to our rooms until after 1:00.

Also, when checking in early, we have been informed that we may board, but we would not be able to get to our rooms until after 1:00.

Indeed, again, just like at most hotels who also specify a check-in time. Can you "check-in" earlier at the hotel? Sure! They'll let you fill out & sign the paperwork and run your credit card - and probably go sit by the pool or have a swim, but you won't be able to get your key & get into the room until later.

Kind of sounds like now LMaxwell wants the check-in gestapo! "No, it's not 1:00 yet, you may NOT board, don't ask us to break our POLICY!"

I disagree on 1:00 being a policy. It's a recommendation, not a policy. Any boarding allowed prior to 1 is nothing more than a privilege. Like you said...everyone on this site shows up early. But I also think most on this site understand early boarding is not guaranteed and they do so knowing and freely accepting the fact the rooms are not yet available.