How come rooms not ready?

Yes, suboptimal. Perhaps they will. That does solve the problem.

A shoreside team deployed to the ship on turnaround day for faster turnaround and more "heavy lifting" than the day to day for the stewards would help have everything ready to go as well.

Suboptimal only means "not optimal", a point you seem to understand well. It does not mean "this is the worst thing ever".

A shoreside team deployed to the ship on turnaround day for faster turnaround and more "heavy lifting" than the day to day for the stewards would help have everything ready to go as well.

Suboptimal only means "not optimal", a point you seem to understand well. It does not mean "this is the worst thing ever".

Are you willing to pay extra for this shoreside team? Somebody's got to pay them.

I see what you're saying completely. The best of both worlds would be still be able to board at 11ish and have our rooms ready so we don't have to schlep luggage. That would be everyone's first choice obviously (I would think)

The rooms are ready when you board on Princess but isn't the trade off having to wait until later to board? If that's the case, personally I'd rather be able to board earlier and schlep luggage than wait until 1 to board.

Now, if Princess lets you board at 11 AND has your room ready they are definitely doing it better than RC and I hope RC would copy whatever they're doing :cool:

This is our problem with Princess. We had access to our room, but it isn't fully ready (sheets changed, furniture wiped down, towels supplied) until after dinner.

The trade-off is that the room isn't really ready. I would rather wait until 1pm, and enter a fully cleaned and restocked room.

Edited by DonnaK

I've asked a member of the management staff if it's OK to drop of stuff in the room before the rooms are ready and have been told, no problem. YMMV :)

No problem for them, but I wouldn't want my carryon in my room while it's still being prepped with the door possibly propped open, etc. i wouldn't consider my room secure during turnaround time, YMMV.

This is our problem with Princess. We had access to our room, but it isn't fully ready (sheets changed, furniture wiped down, towels supplied) until after dinner.

The trade-off is that the room isn't really ready. I would rather wait until 1pm, and enter a fully cleaned and restocked room.

Interesting, so you have access to the room but it's not actually "ready". I'm with you I'd rather wait until the room is completely ready. I can see the value in having early access to the room too, though.

Are you willing to pay extra for this shoreside team? Somebody's got to pay them.

RCI can pay them out of revenue. They sure have healthy profits and stock prices. Let them reinvest in the business to provide an enhanced experience. Of course this means it is a pass through on cruise fares, but there's no way for any of us to quantify it.

Someone's got to be paying for Princess to have their rooms ready. I only guessed that perhaps a shoreside team helped; I have no proof or reason to believe that is factual. However they do it, they provide an amenity sooner than RCI and I don't think Princess's daily fare per person is substantially different than RCI.

If RCI sold the same thing as Carnival does with it's Faster to the Fun pass, many people would buy it. People come on here with some frequency to ask if RCI has a similar program, primarily for the early boarding/room ready/express luggage delivery.

RCI is my line of choice; but when I see a better way for something to be done, or a competitor that does something in what is a way that enhances the experience why would I not ask RCI to do the same? Changing to customer wishes builds more brand loyalty with me than any sealed for life cookie basket ever would. Let them ditch the dollar store cookies and get the rooms open sooner; there's a cost balancing!

On our recent back to back on FOS, the main doors leading to the hallways on turnaround morning were closed but not locked. They did have a sign posted saying that staterooms would be available after 1:00pm. We were told we could come and go throughout the morning as the doors weren't locked. The later it got in the morning, they had RC staff in the center elevator lobby area re-directing people away and back to public areas.

As others have mentioned, they are very busy not only making up the rooms, but doing other things that are maintenance related. They had cleaned several areas of carpet in the hallways throughout the ship, and had those big blower dryers set up. They also opened up all the balcony partitions and did a walk thru that way. I mention this so future B2B'rs will know to close the blinds while changing on turnaround morning. :)

Funny you mention that. My wife woke up and opened the curtains to find staff on our aft balcony spraying it off on our B2B turnaround day. Quite surprised to say the least.

RCI can pay them out of revenue. They sure have healthy profits and stock prices. Let them reinvest in the business to provide an enhanced experience. Of course this means it is a pass through on cruise fares, but there's no way for any of us to quantify it.

Someone's got to be paying for Princess to have their rooms ready. I only guessed that perhaps a shoreside team helped; I have no proof or reason to believe that is factual. However they do it, they provide an amenity sooner than RCI and I don't think Princess's daily fare per person is substantially different than RCI.

If RCI sold the same thing as Carnival does with it's Faster to the Fun pass, many people would buy it. People come on here with some frequency to ask if RCI has a similar program, primarily for the early boarding/room ready/express luggage delivery.

RCI is my line of choice; but when I see a better way for something to be done, or a competitor that does something in what is a way that enhances the experience why would I not ask RCI to do the same? Changing to customer wishes builds more brand loyalty with me than any sealed for life cookie basket ever would. Let them ditch the dollar store cookies and get the rooms open sooner; there's a cost balancing!

From some of the postings on here, it sounds like Princess has the rooms "ready" by not having them actually completely ready until later in the day. If that's true, they really aren't providing the same thing you are asking for. Unless you are OK with the rooms only being partially ready.

Edited by time4u2go

I find this thread very interesting.

My family heads to the pool, grabs lounges, we introduce ourselves to the first pool cocktail server who happens by, order a rounds of drinks, grab some lunch/snacks from the buffet, take a dip in the pool, catch some rays, order more drinks, perhaps a little chair dancing, watch the new guests parade pass by, toast and celebrate another cruise.

In 15+ cruises, I don't think we've been to our cabin before 5 PM. Sometimes after the muster drill. Why would anyone want to spend time to go to their cabin on the first day? Enjoy!!

The way it works is if you prefer not to board until the rooms are ready, what you would do is not board until 1 pm or when they are scheduled to be ready.

Yep, easy peasy!

If you are content, that's fine. I see room for improvement in the system. I don't go to any other hotel anywhere, check in, and then take my luggage to lunch or dinner; I drop it off in the room and get refreshed. Like I said, if other lines can do it, so can RCI. Why are people so against RCI improving how they handle guests or against RCI being class competitive?
Majority of hotel rooms are not ready before 3:00 p.m. Hard pressed not to take your bags to lunch! Also, that would be all the bags - not just carry-on.
How often or where do you travel? Almost every hotel in the universe advises that rooms aren't available until 3:00PM. Sometimes the rooms are ready sooner but there are no guarantees and it's very common to not get a hotel room until sometime in the afternoon:rolleyes: RCCL should be commended on cleaning and preparing thousands of rooms and having them all ready by 1:00PM, which they almost always are. If that isn't acceptable I guess Princess is the way to go...........

Agreed, its not at all the norm to be able to drop your bags in your room before LUNCH at a hotel, you'll almost never be given the keys to your room before lunch, certainly the exception and not the rule. I'll wager that RCI having your room ready by 1PM is EARLIER than you'll get your room at the large majority of hotels.

He keeps citing Princess, despite numerous posters explaining that their system lets you into your rooms BEFORE they've completed "make-ready" with all the inherent difficulties and security issues that raises.

Interesting, so you have access to the room but it's not actually "ready". I'm with you I'd rather wait until the room is completely ready. I can see the value in having early access to the room too, though.

See my post on the 1st page for the details: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44288687&postcount=6

I find this thread very interesting.

My family heads to the pool, grabs lounges, we introduce ourselves to the first pool cocktail server who happens by, order a rounds of drinks, grab some lunch/snacks from the buffet, take a dip in the pool, catch some rays, order more drinks, perhaps a little chair dancing, watch the new guests parade pass by, toast and celebrate another cruise.

In 15+ cruises, I don't think we've been to our cabin before 5 PM. Sometimes after the muster drill. Why would anyone want to spend time to go to their cabin on the first day? Enjoy!!

To drop off big/bulky/heavy carry-ons. Also to make any special requests of the steward, like opening connecting doors/balcony dividers, getting ice buckets filled, etc.

Edited by time4u2go

Quite a few have explained to you that the rooms on Princess are often NOT ready when you're given access, but you continue to just ignore that? Given those posters' experiences, I'm not sure that RCI's service isn't every bit as good as Princess, just different.

The thing is, a lot of people get their panties in a bunch at a suggestion. I find it hard to believe that all of these people would choose NOT to put their belongings in their room if it was available to them. Since they are not available, we do what we need to do, dragging bags with us to Windjammer, finding a place to hang out with luggage for awhile, etc. The OP is just pointing out this is NOT optimal because, news flash, it's NOT.

There are multiple suggestions going on here. One to RCI saying that the rooms should be available, and another that suggests just show up later.

Some people feel the need to check in at 11am because their hotel kicked them out at check-out time. Travellers don't have a lot of options for that in-between hotel and cruise check-in time frame so many just head over to the cruise port since they have nowhere else to go.

Maybe. But if the OP has never had to store their bags in a hotel for showing up early, it's also just as easy to ask for a late check out. Like Noon. Which puts you at the port at 12:30 or so, and on the ship close to 1.

So there are options.

I have yet to cruise Princess but do like the idea that the rooms will be available upon boarding. I do not like the idea that my room is still going to be dirty and/or my belongings unsecure if that is really how the Princess system works. So in this case, it's up to each person to decide what they prefer - dragging bags around for awhile in the name of security and clean rooms upon arrival, or dropping off bags in a potentially dirty, unsecured room.

The OP merely stated that it's POSSIBLE for RCCL to have rooms available upon arrival. It's a good idea. Most people would take advantage of room access if available upon arrival.

Possible. but what would it take or mean? A few posters have commented about Princess, and the rooms are not ready at 11am, they are just open while they are being worked on. So bringing your stuff in may disrupt that quite a bit.

OR they are forced to be a whole lot faster tearing the room down and putting it back together. By 2 hours.

For how many people?

The solution isn't just "show up and open rooms"- there's a lot going on that has to be worked around for the few people who have to be on the ship first.

Compare that effort with just asking for a late check out and show up at 12:30-1pm.

And, yes, it's *possible* that the cruise line can change this. But the likelhood of it happening is marginal. I've been on 30 cruises starting in 2001, and it's been that way since then. So do I start a write in campain to have this changed, or do I just deal with it?

Just dealing with it seems like a lot better path based on how long it's been this way as well as many of the other changes and drawbacks.

But if you want to try to change it, go for it.

From some of the postings on here, it sounds like Princess has the rooms "ready" by not having them actually completely ready until later in the day. If that's true, they really aren't providing the same thing you are asking for. Unless you are OK with the rooms only being partially ready.

I was onboard Caribbean Princess 9/1/14; boarded ship at 11:55AM went direct to room; room was 100% prepared and ready for use. No sign of stewards or carts. All doors secured. There was no indication at all that rooms were not 100% ready for use. I don't doubt others have not had the same experience, but I believe the experience I have is what Princess aims for to be the norm.

My preference is that the room is available for use and secured for stowing my belongings.

Quite a few have explained to you that the rooms on Princess are often NOT ready when you're given access, but you continue to just ignore that? Given those posters' experiences, I'm not sure that RCI's service isn't every bit as good as Princess, just different.

Please see my own personal experience posted just above this. I have mentioned this previously in this thread, perhaps you glossed over it by accident.

You have choices. Board early and deal with dragging your carryon around or wait and board after 1:PM.

It's a poor choice. RCI can do better. They should do better. There is room for improvement. It sounds like RCI is looking to improve this with Quantum, but I don't know. Time will tell.

So when Royal does change it to rooms open when they start boarding are people going to schlep luggage to Windjammer and say gee I really prefer this. Why should I delay the start of my vacation? Like I said it's not a deal breaker but it's a nicety RCI could provide if they had the resources to do so. I point to Princess because it is largely a similar business and they manage it.

As far as hotel check ins, yes they are later but no additional wait.

Once again the voicing of an opinion and preference is met with a wall of people explaining to me how things currently work. I totally understand that. I would not interfere w workers turning around rooms nor would I leave valuables in an unsecured room.

Guess we will continue to schlep bags and do the buffet shuffle where one sits and watches the stuff. It's hardly the end of the world but a better system could be put in place too

Your other option is to check your bags at the pier. I'm not sure why you need to roll around a carryon for the first few hours. Put any valuables in a backpack or tote.

I was onboard Caribbean Princess 9/1/14; boarded ship at 11:55AM went direct to room; room was 100% prepared and ready for use. No sign of stewards or carts. All doors secured. There was no indication at all that rooms were not 100% ready for use. I don't doubt others have not had the same experience, but I believe the experience I have is what Princess aims for to be the norm.

My preference is that the room is available for use and secured for stowing my belongings.

Our experience with Princess has been the same as yours.

To drop off big/bulky/heavy carry-ons. Also to make any special requests of the steward, like opening connecting doors/balcony dividers, getting ice buckets filled, etc.

As I said, I've found this thread interesting in a good way. I must be oblivious to what everyone is doing the first day.

In all my cruises, I think the only special request I've had for my steward is a bucket of ice. I've never been to the dining room to look at my table before dinner. I've never sat at a table in the Windjammer.

My lovely wife thinks me controlling. However, based on comments about people scurrying around stewards and finding table, it sounds quite the opposite.

First day: Relax, nap in the sun, lounge, swim, have some cocktails, celebrate. Don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy!

Your other option is to check your bags at the pier. I'm not sure why you need to roll around a carryon for the first few hours. Put any valuables in a backpack or tote.

Due to recent back surgeries I am limited to the weight I can carry on my back. Sometimes there is more than I can safely carry and therefore I use a rolling bag instead. I'd like to go to my cabin, store my belongings, freshen up in the bathroom, before hitting the decks to enjoy vacation.

Our experience with Princess has been the same as yours.

I just checked and it IS Princess standard policy to have rooms 100% ready for use at boarding time.

Therefore the earlier poster that claims their room was not 100% ready (which I believe their claim) did not experience the Princess standard, but rather received less than their standard and now believes that is "the way" when it is not. That's a lost opportunity for Princess, IMO and an amenity the guest did not get to take advantage of.