How come rooms not ready?

On HAL they had a staffed area on the Lido deck where they would hold your carryons for you, but you could still access them as needed and then pick them up when the rooms were ready. We didnt use it because we had minimal carryons, but it was nice that there weren't suitcases in the already crowded windjammer

You booked a cruise, you did not buy the ship. A closed door means stay out. It is rude and ignorant to attempt to enter your room prior to the doors being opened at 1:00. The ONLY exception is bank to back passengers. The attendants prepare those cabins first, and are prepared for the back to backers to possibly return before 1:00 p.m. Otherwise stay out and allow the attendants to complete their work. It is NOT all about you, wait like everyone else. If you do not like Royal's procedures, sail with another line.

They should change the policy. It's not a reason to change cruise lines but a process improvement RCI can make. The current way is suboptimal

On HAL they had a staffed area on the Lido deck where they would hold your carryons for you, but you could still access them as needed and then pick them up when the rooms were ready. We didnt use it because we had minimal carryons, but it was nice that there weren't suitcases in the already crowded windjammer

I like that idea too

They should change the policy. It's not a reason to change cruise lines but a process improvement RCI can make. The current way is suboptimal

"Suboptimal?" So perhaps they will make us all wait in the terminal until 1:00. Solves that problem.

Part of the problem is suggested boarding time is 1pm and everybody wants to show up at 10:30am :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Count me as one of those people. I look at it like this and Im sure i am not alone in my feelings. That is day one of my cruise and I want on the ship as soon as I can get on. If they didnt want you showing up until 1pm that is when they would open the doors to the port. Also they wouldn't open the Windjammer at 11:30 am

JMHO :)

Edited by ryano

Count me as one of those people. I look at it like this and Im sure i am not alone in my feelings. That is day one of my cruise and I want on the ship as as I can get on. If they didnt want you showing up until 1pm that is when they would open the doors to the port. Also they wouldn't open the Windjammer at 11:30 am

BOOM! Yep. :D

Count me as one of those people. I look at it like this and Im sure i am not alone in my feelings. That is day one of my cruise and I want on the ship as soon as I can get on. If they didnt want you showing up until 1pm that is when they would open the doors to the port. Also they wouldn't open the Windjammer at 11:30 am

JMHO :)

That's so you can start chowing down while you wait for the rooms to be ready and get every meal that is due to you over the seven days.

Part of the problem is suggested boarding time is 1pm and everybody wants to show up at 10:30am :eek::rolleyes::eek:

No that's NOT a problem:rolleyes: Windjammer opens before 1:00, so do the bars. The ships are usually open for boarding by noon or earlier and guests are welcome. If RCCL didn't want people on before 1:00, or it was a "problem", they wouldn't open the doors......

Edited by bouhunter

No that's NOT a problem:rolleyes: Windjammer opens before 1:00, so do the bars. The ships are usually open for boarding by noon or earlier and guests are welcome. If RCCL didn't want people on before 1:00, or it was a "problem", they wouldn't open the doors......

You missed the point .. the "problem" is only for those that board early and then complain the rooms aren't ready :rolleyes:

True. The Embarkation Letter also recommends and encourages people to arrive at specific times based on what Deck their cabin is on - earlier than 1:00 for five of the eight Decks on Navigator, for example. So, if people are going to follow RCI's instructions many are going to board before 1:00.

So when Royal does change it to rooms open when they start boarding are people going to schlep luggage to Windjammer and say gee I really prefer this. Why should I delay the start of my vacation? Like I said it's not a deal breaker but it's a nicety RCI could provide if they had the resources to do so. I point to Princess because it is largely a similar business and they manage it.

As far as hotel check ins, yes they are later but no additional wait.

Once again the voicing of an opinion and preference is met with a wall of people explaining to me how things currently work. I totally understand that. I would not interfere w workers turning around rooms nor would I leave valuables in an unsecured room.

Guess we will continue to schlep bags and do the buffet shuffle where one sits and watches the stuff. It's hardly the end of the world but a better system could be put in place too

Go to the Windjammer, pool or explore the ship. Of all the things to complain about this is the silliest. You are on a cruise, many people in this world are concerned at this very moment about how they will feed their families. What time your room is available is our biggest concern? Really?

And yet here you are taking time to read and respond to this trivial thread on a cruise board instead of out doing something important. You're concerned about this thread instead of the plight of the poor and downtrodden? Really?

Since the first day of the cruise, it is the true beginning to our vacation, so we try to board as early as possible. Last November, we boarded the Grandeur around 11:00 and headed directly to the Wind Jammer for an early lunch. Both the wife and I have carry-ons to take care of our medications, a change of clothes, our wine , and my camera equipment. We have been doing this for 9 years, so we have it down to a science. We grab a table and relax for minute, the DW goes and get her lunch while I watch our carry-ons. then, I go get lunch while she eats and keeps an eye on everything. We finish lunch and head to the Pool bar. What would a cruise be like without starting it with a drink.:) We explore the ship (even though we have been on the Grandeur several times) and locate our table in the MDR for dinner. At that point, it is either time to get the call for the rooms to be ready or we get another drink. It doesn't matter, we are on vacation and making the most of our time and enjoying every minute of it.

Here's the thing- you seem to be in the minority that you really want to change this. Based on the responses, do you agree with that?

So why take so much offense to such an easy solution?

We arrive at 12:30-1 to check in which puts us on the ship right when the rooms open.

Why do people feel the need to be on the ship at 11am?

If the experience of being on the ship an extra hour or two is that important, you can stay up later a couple of the evenings.

While it sounds good that other ships have access to the cabins right away, it does not sound like they are done working, which means that your stuff is in the way of them doing a good job PLUS that your stuff may not be secure. So what appears to be good may not be so much.

Instead of stressing the crew all across the world for such a small benefit, it's a whole lot easier to the system to show up later.

The thing is, a lot of people get their panties in a bunch at a suggestion. I find it hard to believe that all of these people would choose NOT to put their belongings in their room if it was available to them. Since they are not available, we do what we need to do, dragging bags with us to Windjammer, finding a place to hang out with luggage for awhile, etc. The OP is just pointing out this is NOT optimal because, news flash, it's NOT.

Some people feel the need to check in at 11am because their hotel kicked them out at check-out time. Travellers don't have a lot of options for that in-between hotel and cruise check-in time frame so many just head over to the cruise port since they have nowhere else to go.

I have yet to cruise Princess but do like the idea that the rooms will be available upon boarding. I do not like the idea that my room is still going to be dirty and/or my belongings unsecure if that is really how the Princess system works. So in this case, it's up to each person to decide what they prefer - dragging bags around for awhile in the name of security and clean rooms upon arrival, or dropping off bags in a potentially dirty, unsecured room.

The OP merely stated that it's POSSIBLE for RCCL to have rooms available upon arrival. It's a good idea. Most people would take advantage of room access if available upon arrival.

I am confused about all the bags being schlepped around, which posters keep referring to. All we have is a large handbag with all our travel documents, and a small backpack with a book and kindle. Everything else is in our checked luggage, so it is no problem not getting in to our cabin. I would much rather board early,than have to hang around waiting until the cabins are ready before we can board.

So when Royal does change it to rooms open when they start boarding are people going to schlep luggage to Windjammer and say gee I really prefer this. Why should I delay the start of my vacation? Like I said it's not a deal breaker but it's a nicety RCI could provide if they had the resources to do so. I point to Princess because it is largely a similar business and they manage it.

As far as hotel check ins, yes they are later but no additional wait.

Once again the voicing of an opinion and preference is met with a wall of people explaining to me how things currently work. I totally understand that. I would not interfere w workers turning around rooms nor would I leave valuables in an unsecured room.

Guess we will continue to schlep bags and do the buffet shuffle where one sits and watches the stuff. It's hardly the end of the world but a better system could be put in place too

I see what you're saying completely. The best of both worlds would be still be able to board at 11ish and have our rooms ready so we don't have to schlep luggage. That would be everyone's first choice obviously (I would think)

The rooms are ready when you board on Princess but isn't the trade off having to wait until later to board? If that's the case, personally I'd rather be able to board earlier and schlep luggage than wait until 1 to board.

Now, if Princess lets you board at 11 AND has your room ready they are definitely doing it better than RC and I hope RC would copy whatever they're doing :cool:

I see what you're saying completely. The best of both worlds would be still be able to board at 11ish and have our rooms ready so we don't have to schlep luggage. That would be everyone's first choice obviously (I would think)

The rooms are ready when you board on Princess but isn't the trade off having to wait until later to board? If that's the case, personally I'd rather be able to board earlier and schlep luggage than wait until 1 to board.

Now, if Princess lets you board at 11 AND has your room ready they are definitely doing it better than RC and I hope RC would copy whatever they're doing :cool:

The two times I have boarded Princess for Bon Voyage Experience I went to rooms and they were secured, stocked/cleaned, and no carts or stewards in the halls working. Both times were before noon. Would I trade 11AM for 11:45 and rooms ready; yes. Would I trade 11AM for 1PM? Probably not. I'd continue to bring my bags and watch guard while we do the buffet shuffle.

The thing is, a lot of people get their panties in a bunch at a suggestion. I find it hard to believe that all of these people would choose NOT to put their belongings in their room if it was available to them. Since they are not available, we do what we need to do, dragging bags with us to Windjammer, finding a place to hang out with luggage for awhile, etc. The OP is just pointing out this is NOT optimal because, news flash, it's NOT.

Some people feel the need to check in at 11am because their hotel kicked them out at check-out time. Travellers don't have a lot of options for that in-between hotel and cruise check-in time frame so many just head over to the cruise port since they have nowhere else to go.

I have yet to cruise Princess but do like the idea that the rooms will be available upon boarding. I do not like the idea that my room is still going to be dirty and/or my belongings unsecure if that is really how the Princess system works. So in this case, it's up to each person to decide what they prefer - dragging bags around for awhile in the name of security and clean rooms upon arrival, or dropping off bags in a potentially dirty, unsecured room.

The OP merely stated that it's POSSIBLE for RCCL to have rooms available upon arrival. It's a good idea. Most people would take advantage of room access if available upon arrival.

May I buy you a drink?