Canada and New England cruise in Sep.

esper10

Hi, we are planning to cruise the Canada and the Newengland next Sep. Taking the Summit ship. Can any one tell me how is the weather this time of the year? I read some reviews that were just inn but the weather was not mentioned and the ship did not get much of high remark. It is a destination we would love to take but the weather worry me. Thanks

The weather will vary on each cruise. We were on Summit Sept 7-21 and found the weather very much as predicted by national weather forecasting websites and as accurate as it can be 2 weeks in the future. Best advice will be to take clothing that can be layered and a jacket that is rain resistant.

Summit is an older ship but in common areas is in very good to reasonable condition. We found ships staff was outstanding! Cabins show some wear, including 2 different suites we were in - one of the I can only describe as "in serious disrepair". I can only assume that suites will be refurbished and upgraded before or at the "Suite Benefit" date in April 2015. Other cabins I have absolutely no knowledge of since this was our first sailing on Summit or when it is scheduled for refurbishment. I will add that if you are considering a CS suite and you have been on one on and S class ship the living area seating is not comparable at all.

The Summit sails a unique route in Canada and New England and it was a great trip. Research the ports you are visiting and know what you plan to do ahead of time; from my experience the shore excursions were mostly sold out by embarkation day or at least for the more preferred excursions. If you are booked, sign up on roll call for the appropriate date and get an idea of what is available for private excursions and check out Trip Advisor for each port. You may also want to read the rolls calls preceding and after your booked cruise for more info. "Lurking" is perfectly ok - and questions are ok although frequently someone may make snide comments about lurkers (those who read/participate in roll calls when not booked on that particular sailing) but don't be offended just gather all the info you can find!

Recognize that some things change from cruise to cruise on the same ship as they move into different schedule. Go with an open mind rather than "great expectations" and you will be a happy cruiser and each day you will discover something new!

September is most definitely Autumn in Canada. The beginning of the month is warmer than the end. Daytime temps could range from high 70s F down to low 50s. Nighttime temps most likely between 40 and 50, however first and temps in the 30s are not unheard of either.

September is also one of our more rainy months... More so f there is a lot of Hurricane action in the Atlantic... Cause those storms will bring rain our way.

Clothing wise plan on layers. Jeans or pants (zip off pants practical if you are a short lover and coming first half if September), tops and sweaters, fleece and a waterproof jacket. Worthwhile packing an umbrella, gloves, scarf and toque (knitted hat) as weather on the water is windy & cooler than ashore.

You will also want a good sturdy pair of walking shoes as most shore excursions will include a good deal of walking often on unlevel ground (trails, cobblestones, steps & hills)

For more info check out some of these great resources when trip planning:

* Wikipedia for a general overview (also often has monthly weather averages)

* A good map. Love Google Maps when trip planning as they offer many cool features... Time & distance calculations (for driving - public transit - cycling - walking) as well as Satellite & Street Views

* Official Tourism Websites... Every City, Region, Province / State has one

* CCs Ports of Call Forums

* CCs Sister Website TripAdvisor... Where CC specializes in Cruise Travel, TA specializes in planning info for land vacations the world over. They offer Travel Guide Info - Ratings & Reviews (Accommodations - Attractions - and Restaurants) - as well as Forums where you can post Questions and chat with TripAdvisor Destination Experts & Locals

Never plan a vacation any more without these handy resources

If you are in search of colorful Autumn Foliage your best bet is going to be the last week of September or first week of October (traditionally) although Colour is dependent on Latitude - Altitude - and Weather... Of which the last one makes things impossible to predict.

As for the Summit, she is an M-Class Ship launched in 2001... So yes she is a bit older than Celebrity's S-Class Ships. But she is in great shape. I suggest you check out her stats here on CC

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=251

As you can see, she has an 82 % Satisfaction Rate, and the CDC gives her a 90 Score

We sailed on the Summit sat year, and loved her. We have another cruise booked with her for 2015

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'd say, at least here in Ontario, the first two weeks are like summer, then it generally would get cooler. September is my favourite month here. Usually sunny, nice days in the mid 70's. By end of September, the colours are changing and the cooler nights are here, even dipping down to create a frost.

My mother & sister just finished a Canada/New England cruise yesterday (October 5).

Other than the rain around Rhode Island and New York, the weather was generally clear or cloudy and 'seasonal'. Cool to nice during the day, chilly at night. Temps in the upper 50s F to low 70s during the day.

If you're looking for shorts and tshirt weather you will probably not be happy. Chances are very slim that you will encounter snow ... But no one can guarantee that!

One thing to note - they were disappointed with the fall colours. Seems like fall came late this year. Lots of green around! Again, it's like the weather - there are no guarantees:)

Temperature can be so different from a year to another, two weeks ago it was almost freezing point in the morning in Québec City and last week we were wearing t shirt and shorts or capris

In the last few days we have started to see some leaves turning into different colors but there still a lot of them that are green, so people cruising this week will be able to enjoy nice sceneries.

My mother & sister just finished a Canada/New England cruise yesterday (October 5).

Other than the rain around Rhode Island and New York, the weather was generally clear or cloudy and 'seasonal'. Cool to nice during the day, chilly at night. Temps in the upper 50s F to low 70s during the day.

If you're looking for shorts and tshirt weather you will probably not be happy. Chances are very slim that you will encounter snow ... But no one can guarantee that!

One thing to note - they were disappointed with the fall colours. Seems like fall came late this year. Lots of green around! Again, it's like the weather - there are no guarantees:)

Temperature can be so different from a year to another, two weeks ago it was almost freezing point in the morning in Québec City and last week we were wearing t shirt and shorts or capris

In the last few days we have started to see some leaves turning into different colors but there still a lot of them that are green, so people cruising this week will be able to enjoy nice sceneries.

Just to add...

Weather this September has been extremely warm for Eastern Canada (hence why the leaves are so slow changing)

As for snow...

Not unheard of in September... But is extremely rare

Snow is most possible after mid October (Canadian Thanksgiving).

Have seen many a Hallowe'en in my lifetime with snow.

Lol, then again by that late in the season most of the cruise ships have moved on to warmer Destinations in the Caribbean

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi, we are planning to cruise the Canada and the Newengland next Sep. Taking the Summit ship. Can any one tell me how is the weather this time of the year? I read some reviews that were just inn but the weather was not mentioned and the ship did not get much of high remark. It is a destination we would love to take but the weather worry me. Thanks

it will be anything from sunny, crisp clear with moderate temps to crappy windy rainy gloomy damp.

in the same week.

our last CA/NE cruise Bar Harbor got fogged out( tender port so we skipped it completely) but the next port we had 70s and clear blue skies.

Thanks to you all for the great information I will have to rethink. I so much want to go this destination but rain and cold weather is not what I would rather have. So we will see still long time out.

Sunny and in the 60's here in Halifax today. Leaves are starting to change and should be at their prime by the weekend . We need a hard frost for the leaves to change and have not had it in this area yet. This of course can vary from year to year just as it can anywhere .

Yes, there will be weather! It may be snowy, absolutely gorgeous, rainy & cold, hot & humid. And you can have all of that weather in the same day! It is, after all, New England & Canada in the autumn. Before anyone says I'm wrong, I grew up in Boston, spent 30 years there; coldest I've ever been was a summer in Nova Scotia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

September is most definitely Autumn in Canada. The beginning of the month is warmer than the end. Daytime temps could range from high 70s F down to low 50s. Nighttime temps most likely between 40 and 50, however first and temps in the 30s are not unheard of either.

September is also one of our more rainy months... More so f there is a lot of Hurricane action in the Atlantic... Cause those storms will bring rain our way.

Clothing wise plan on layers. Jeans or pants (zip off pants practical if you are a short lover and coming first half if September), tops and sweaters, fleece and a waterproof jacket. Worthwhile packing an umbrella, gloves, scarf and toque (knitted hat) as weather on the water is windy & cooler than ashore.

You will also want a good sturdy pair of walking shoes as most shore excursions will include a good deal of walking often on unlevel ground (trails, cobblestones, steps & hills)

For more info check out some of these great resources when trip planning:

* Wikipedia for a general overview (also often has monthly weather averages)

* A good map. Love Google Maps when trip planning as they offer many cool features... Time & distance calculations (for driving - public transit - cycling - walking) as well as Satellite & Street Views

* Official Tourism Websites... Every City, Region, Province / State has one

* CCs Ports of Call Forums

* CCs Sister Website TripAdvisor... Where CC specializes in Cruise Travel, TA specializes in planning info for land vacations the world over. They offer Travel Guide Info - Ratings & Reviews (Accommodations - Attractions - and Restaurants) - as well as Forums where you can post Questions and chat with TripAdvisor Destination Experts & Locals

Never plan a vacation any more without these handy resources

If you are in search of colorful Autumn Foliage your best bet is going to be the last week of September or first week of October (traditionally) although Colour is dependent on Latitude - Altitude - and Weather... Of which the last one makes things impossible to predict.

As for the Summit, she is an M-Class Ship launched in 2001... So yes she is a bit older than Celebrity's S-Class Ships. But she is in great shape. I suggest you check out her stats here on CC

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=251

As you can see, she has an 82 % Satisfaction Rate, and the CDC gives her a 90 Score

We sailed on the Summit sat year, and loved her. We have another cruise booked with her for 2015

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

wow.....a bit of an overload of info for someone who just wanted to know about the weather....just saying......:)

wow.....a bit of an overload of info for someone who just wanted to know about the weather....just saying......:)

Phew... thought I was the only one thinking it was a bit over the top.

Oh, and to the OP, I would not go in September. Too early for good foliage and too late for warm weather. Better to start around the 1st to the 7th of October, you'll have some cooler temps but some leaf colors that will blow your mind away. Just got back from a long walk. 60 degrees, blue skies and fire-like colors on the trees. Absolutely stunning.

Edited by monicajay