Butler tipping?!?!?

lisap71

Hello! Taking our first cruise in 28 days!!!! We have a suite with a butler and yes I intend on using our butler for room service on a few occasions. Just unsure of how much to tip him. Every thing I have read is U tip depending on how much you use him but I don't want to under tip nor over tip. Any suggestions or guidelines??? Thanks!

Lisa

I would tip from $50-$150 per 7 day cruise. The amount depends on you, the butler and how much you ask of the butler. If you tip anywhere in that range you will be well within the norm and the butler won't feel 'stiffed'.

Our family of 4 went in January on the Jewel. We never used the concierge. The butler brought 1 movie, breakfast 1 day and the daily little snacks. We tipped $120

Neither did anything extra for us that was not included in the fare. Big deal the butler pushed a cart full of crappy snacks down the hall and stopped at each room to deliver a plate.

We didn't have them running all over the ship getting us this from one restaurant and that from another, like some people say they like to do.

We didn't host any parties, basically did not use them for anything.

The haven was nice, but I can do without the butler. Anyway what they call a butler isn't a true butler according to the interweb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Just in case you are not aware since the question was a bit confusing, you would not tip the butler each time he brought you something from room service. It is customary to tip the butler at the end of the cruise an amount that is commensurate with how little or much he/she did for you.

I budget $10 pp pd for butler and concierge. Then I adjust as I consider my wants and needs over and above as well as the results of same.

I budget extra for the room steward and Cagney's staff if I feel the service is exceptional. I am always happy to reward exceptional service.

Oh, so sorry jackson your snacks were crappy. Ours were wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I budget $10 pp pd for butler and concierge. Then I adjust as I consider my wants and needs over and above as well as the results of same.

I budget extra for the room steward and Cagney's staff if I feel the service is exceptional. I am always happy to reward exceptional service.

Oh, so sorry jackson your snacks were crappy. Ours were wonderful.

^^

I think this is probably the best "rule of thumb" so to speak. We used it for our last cruise and everyone seemed quite happy. The only 1 I considered adjusting was the concierge and it was strictly due to her attitude (not even a "good morning" in Cagney's), however, she was helpful when we embarked so it was all good.

We budget extra for the steward whether we're in a suite of reg. cabin and also wait staff but that's just us. :D

^^

I think this is probably the best "rule of thumb" so to speak. We used it for our last cruise and everyone seemed quite happy. The only 1 I considered adjusting was the concierge and it was strictly due to her attitude (not even a "good morning" in Cagney's), however, she was helpful when we embarked so it was all good.

We budget extra for the steward whether we're in a suite of reg. cabin and also wait staff but that's just us. :D

Glad to hear we are of like minds. Have had wonderful concierges but had one butler who was really, really bad. Did not ruin our trip but we definately felt a difference. I feel so blessed to be able to cruise and in a suite at that!

In April I am treating mynie e for her 18th & hs grad so eek... My first time to pay tips times two. But she is worth it!

Glad to hear we are of like minds. Have had wonderful concierges but had one butler who was really, really bad. Did not ruin our trip but we definately felt a difference. I feel so blessed to be able to cruise and in a suite at that!

In April I am treating mynie e for her 18th & hs grad so eek... My first time to pay tips times two. But she is worth it!

I agree that I feel so blessed to be able to cruise as well and the crew, for the most part, work so hard to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone.

It would take a lot to ruin a cruise for us, as long as we're together, we're happy regardless of cabin category or external annoyances.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise with your niece, bet she adores her auntie :p

We're on your favourite ship in December and I know we'll have a great time.

Cheers.

I agree that I feel so blessed to be able to cruise as well and the crew, for the most part, work so hard to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone.

It would take a lot to ruin a cruise for us, as long as we're together, we're happy regardless of cabin category or external annoyances.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise with your niece, bet she adores her auntie :p

We're on your favourite ship in December and I know we'll have a great time.

Cheers.

Ah, the Sunny Sun. Yes, my fave. Determined to go for another.

I am a moderate to heavy user of the butler and concierge.

I tip the butler $15 per person per day.

I tip the concierge $10 per person per day.

So for 2 people on a 7 day cruise:

Concierge = $140

Butler = $210

I've heard these numbers before from many people on here.

I'm curious how much people actually use both of them per day-- and what you're having them do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On last trip we had a 2 BR and tipped butler 150 he got our grandson a DVD and checked on us daily, concierge ZIP never saw him in 7 days nor did he call or leave a card, and steward an extra 50. He had both bedrooms and the living area and was always available if needed.

It all depends on what you feel is added service, standard service or no service. First suite on the Gem was in the Haven everybody was tipped :). Different trip, we adjust on all cruises accordingly. But these boards gave us the start point which was greatly appreciated.

Butler - $10 per day per person, Concierge - $5 per day per person.