Just asking??

Do you remember when Oasis was being built? We would get many pictures of each neighborhood at least weekly. It seemed as though Royal Caribbean could not wait to show us this ship. Why is Quantum such a secret?? Thanks to Lloyd and the minions for providing pics to us - but there are new cabin categories that do not even have floor plans on the web site - most people would like to see the details before they book. We booked the first day booking was available - I think it was May 28 - May a year ago. We have seen very little - is there that much more work to be done that they don't want us to see it yet? Well, in just about a month people will be sailing - so patience to all of us. I just find it hard to believe - it is so different than when Oasis was "born." I am happy for all those sailing in November, and I am sure you will overload us with pics. Not to worry - we can't wait!!

I agree with you, this could mean that something very good or very bad await for the first Quatum passengers, I hope we encounter a very innovative ship that meet the espectations that these secret royal caribbean policy has spread to all of us.

I'll be sailing on nov 2 so In few days I'll find out if the money was well spent.

Do you remember when Oasis was being built? We would get many pictures of each neighborhood at least weekly. It seemed as though Royal Caribbean could not wait to show us this ship. Why is Quantum such a secret?? Thanks to Lloyd and the minions for providing pics to us - but there are new cabin categories that do not even have floor plans on the web site - most people would like to see the details before they book. We booked the first day booking was available - I think it was May 28 - May a year ago. We have seen very little - is there that much more work to be done that they don't want us to see it yet? Well, in just about a month people will be sailing - so patience to all of us. I just find it hard to believe - it is so different than when Oasis was "born." I am happy for all those sailing in November, and I am sure you will overload us with pics. Not to worry - we can't wait!!

That's the million dollar question.

Whilst I agree that the info released for The Oasis class was much better than that available for The Q, the simple fact is that people like me and many others have booked anyway.

I do think if bookings were lacking they would have pushed more information out, also looking back we booked on other new ships before all the details were disclosed and have never been disappointed. I continue to trust Royal to continue to produce a high quality product :D

I dont know...

so far it hasnt been extra-ordinary anything

so few pictures, so few details, here in Australia - almost every single travel agent I go into to try to find out information about the QotS know almost nothing about the ship, and the brochures have very little information.

i personally think they are having lots of problems and possibly struggling to over come them...

think about it

1.) the floating out of the ship was delayed, and delayed and delayed.

2.) very little information has been released about the ship

3.) they have new teams working on activities and stuff...

4.) apparently people who are trying to book stuff via the online booking system are having lots and lots of problems.

5.) whenever i have phoned up to discuss certain aspects of my cruise with RCI their staff seem to not know and have to put me on hold...

The lack of information on Quantum is strange, the inclusion of so many firsts is the likely cause. Quite why vast swathes of the vessel still remain to be revealed is equally worrying.

Most genuine ocean cruisers would question the extensive use of WoW and irrelevant technology, when all we want is a relaxing cruise, good food, sociable fellow passengers and a friendly efficient crew, Oh and a library.

We just have to wait to see if she makes her maiden cruise on 2nd of November, personally I have cancelled my post cruise four day NY stay and changed flights to fly home immediately after disembarkation, as I don't want to pay for NY rooms I might not be able to occupy.

Let's try to focus on the glass being half full. They have done a pretty decent job bringing new ships into the fleet why should I expect anything different this time?

BTW - I'm sure there will be a process to improve, or other minor glitches. That's to be expected. Why the doom and gloom? In a couple of months we'll have actual passengers to share their experiences. Let's see what they have to say.

Let's try to focus on the glass being half full. They have done a pretty decent job bringing new ships into the fleet why should I expect anything different this time?

BTW - I'm sure there will be a process to improve, or other minor glitches. That's to be expected. Why the doom and gloom? In a couple of months we'll have actual passengers to share their experiences. Let's see what they have to say.

On Cruise Critic? Good luck. All doom and gloom.

Allow me to provide you with a broader understanding of my skepticism

Im paying ALOT of money for this cruise, and i dont want a second rate job for that price, especially on their:

"worlds 3rd biggest"

"latest and greatest"

"most expensive" ship

I dont want to hear about technical issues or "teething problems", these guys are supposed to be professional cruise liners who are supposed to deliver top quality, and with their previous "roll outs" of ships - this one seems to be "too quiet"...to the point where I am not the only one with clouding doubts.

now I agree that the glass IS half full- and I have every faith that QoTS will be ready, and that RCI will demonstrate to everyone the professionalism that they are known for... you dont get to their reputation level by being second rate....

But you must understand that this cruise is not just any cruise for me, I had my choice of cruiseship anywhere on earth, and I booked a year in advance, for this ship specificially, and im flying across the planet for it, you should also understand this ship is the crown jewel in my month and half vacation that I am taking, after a few weeks in Maui and Manhattan...

so with that, sorry if there is any doubt cast upon RCI or QoTS, and my +1 was to what

"Wot No Tux" said

"all we want is a relaxing cruise, good food, sociable fellow passengers and a friendly efficient crew"

I want to have fun and everything working, not "sorry sir for the inconvenience, it doesnt work because its a teething issue" (but we are still going to charge you full price for it)

Allow me to provide you with a broader understanding of my skepticism

Im paying ALOT of money for this cruise, and i dont want a second rate job for that price, especially on their:

"worlds 3rd biggest"

"latest and greatest"

"most expensive" ship

I dont want to hear about technical issues or "teething problems", these guys are supposed to be professional cruise liners who are supposed to deliver top quality, and with their previous "roll outs" of ships - this one seems to be "too quiet"...to the point where I am not the only one with clouding doubts.

now I agree that the glass IS half full- and I have every faith that QoTS will be ready, and that RCI will demonstrate to everyone the professionalism that they are known for... you dont get to their reputation level by being second rate....

But you must understand that this cruise is not just any cruise for me, I had my choice of cruiseship anywhere on earth, and I booked a year in advance, for this ship specificially, and im flying across the planet for it, you should also understand this ship is the crown jewel in my month and half vacation that I am taking, after a few weeks in Maui and Manhattan...

so with that, sorry if there is any doubt cast upon RCI or QoTS, and my +1 was to what

"Wot No Tux" said

"all we want is a relaxing cruise, good food, sociable fellow passengers and a friendly efficient crew"

I want to have fun and everything working, not "sorry sir for the inconvenience, it doesnt work because its a teething issue" (but we are still going to charge you full price for it)

To put your mind at ease why don't you just go on a different ship if you are that worried about all this stuff. I am going on the Quantum in February and am not worried at all.

And I'm not sure why you think that there will be "teething issues" or technical issues. Seriously, you have an amazing vacation planned with the trip to NYC and Maui. Don't stress! Vacations are meant for you to get away from all the stress, not add more.

Edited by Yorkvillain

When your paying $16K PP for a cabin, then you can tell me to relax :D

I understand perfectly. But, if you have so much trepidation you should have booked on a known commodity.

We're looking forward and this is the first time in a long time that we're sailing from the metro area. We usually cruise in Feb. from San Juan or FL and my better half's concern is the cold temps and rough seas, especially around Cape Hatteras, NC.

Now I would be perfectly satisfied if and when the entertainment opens up and able to book the shows around our dining times.

When your paying $16K PP for a cabin, then you can tell me to relax :D

If the money is a problem, then perhaps you shouldn't be spending it. I'm not trying to be flip, but, we're all paying money. The amounts mean different things to different people. What you are paying is really not important.

@Yorkvillan

+1

"you have an amazing vacation planned with the trip to NYC and Maui. Don't stress! Vacations are meant for you to get away from all the stress, not add more. "

you are absolutely 100% right - im not worried though, this was just an observation and comment is all - the OP was "Just askin"

@ nelblu

Thank you for understanding, it is appreciated, at least someone gets me!

" We usually cruise in Feb. from San Juan or FL and my better half's concern is the cold temps and rough seas, especially around Cape Hatteras, NC."

thats a scarey statement to me because i have never sailed out of anywhere so i will have to put some for thought into that....

which cruise are you sailing on? like which month?

@Cigar King

No, thats one thing I never have to worry about - ever.

I can appreciate your point of view Cigar king, and I can very much see your point of view of what you are saying but hopefully you will also understand my position and observations....

My position is that I do not like to waste money and that being a professional, I only like dealing with professionals, and that WAS one of the reasons why I picked RCI over Carnival, Crystal, Cunard (Cunard was a very close runner up and only because this was a brand new ship), and although I have enough money, I hate to see it wasted on products or services that do not deliver...I expect to be treated in the manner associated with the amount I pay.

For example, before the cruise, as you know I will be in Maui, and once again I had my choice of hotel, my choice was the Sheraton, because they are professionals there, I could have stayed at "the westin" or "the aston" but it comes down to how they perform, now the last time I stayed in Maui, they did a great job and delivered what they promised - which is what I expected

My observations are that of the original post, there isnt advertising about since that video I first saw...

thats all im asking "deliver" what you have advertised...

and this is what they advertised..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hScXsWCW0uE

Hope this helps you understand where I am coming from....

All the best and god bless...

From my signature it's Feb. 2, 2015. We chose to sail on the Q: Out of our back yard, newer/tech advanced ship, and getting an 11 nite cruise for the price of a 7.

Really looking forward especially that we do not have to fly and worry about the weather and recently Ebola scare.

Thanks for the response, I would just offer a comment

My position is that I do not like to waste money and that being a professional, I only like dealing with professionals, and that WAS one of the reasons why I picked RCI..

This is where I am confused. I think Royal has done a decent job, and while past performance is not a guarantee for the future it is something worth considering. You yourself do the vary same thing. You cite your hotel stay as an example.

So, why knock the product, when it's not out yet, and there have been no "real" reviews? Professionals, in my experience, typically make their decisions based on data. The data you have suggests RCI will do a good job, and yet...

Don't get me wrong, being able to change your plans, for any reason that feels right to you, is your prerogative.

Edited by Cigar King

Why would anybody book an inaugural cruise and then expect everything to be perfect for it? In about 45 minutes I'm going to dinner at a place open 2 nights...if this takes 2 hours I'm fine with it. It's about tempering expectations. As far as the 'secrecy', I very much doubt Quantum is a trainwreck and Royal is trying to keep the public from finding out about it.

Quantum must be the most secretive cruise ship ever built, by any cruise line.

I think with 'Oasis' RCI were so confident that they released all of the details ASAP and let the concept speak for itself. They knew that the Worlds biggest ship would almost self-promote itself. There were very few secrets and even they were not held for very long.

Quantum is a different kettle of fish.

I think RCI were worried that she may come as an anti-climax when compared to 'Oasis'. After all she's smaller and does not have the popular features like Central park, Studio B, a Royal Viking Crown or a Royal Prom (as we know it).

The ship has very few 'wow' spaces. Technology and Dining are designed to create the new 'wows'.

Dynamic Dining is of course a very fundamental change for RCI and not without risk. It will change the design of every RCI ship from now on. RCI probably feared a backlash. After all it is VERY similar to NCL's 'Freestyle'. We may even find aspects of Quantum's design is similar to NCL's newbuilds (same shipbuilder too).

I think RCI decided that they could generate more excitement about Quantum by releasing the details very very slowly, rather than presenting all of the facts up front.

Just my take on events.

Edited by London-Calling