Turned down 2 free upgrades so far. Starting to see how the game is played.

Stockjock

Doing a quickie 3 day out of Los Angeles for my girlfriend's 50th birthday, which will occur on the 2nd day of the cruise. Booked an obstructed OW oceanview for $269, but picked a cabin between lifeboats so that the obstruction is minimal and also got a bottle of Champagne.

Shortly thereafter, I was upgraded to a non-obstructed oceanview that was going for $349 at the time. I thought that was pretty cool.

But after another short time, they dropped the rate on my old cabin to $229. Called to ask for a price adjustment and they said they couldn't do that because the new room was now at $279, which is more than I paid. Asked if they could move me back to my old cabin, since it was still available. They gave me a bit of a hard time, but ultimately did it. I lost the Champagne, but picked up $12.50 per person in OBC.

A little bit later, they upgraded me again to a higher priced, non-obstructed oceanview room. I declined this because it was at the bow of the ship, over the theater, and also at a higher price point and I was concerned that I couldn't take advantage of future price drops, which I thought were coming as the ship was largely empty. Again, got a hard time "I'm not sure we can do that", but eventually they moved me back to my original OW cabin.

Next came final payment and then they did a "flash sale", which decreased prices by another 15% or so. It was advertised pretty much everywhere but on their website. Called to see if they would price adjust, but they said they "didn't see it" and that I had the best price. Later found out that flash sales are typically for new bookings after final payment is made, so they don't have to do further price adjustments for booked passengers.

They have a super great rate for past passengers, but apparently I can't qualify for that either.

Meanwhile, Carnival has a 4 night unobstructed OV 2 days later for $125, but I've been on that ship and wanted to try Golden Princess.

Not really complaining, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. It's just that I'm seeing how the game is played. It's kind of like a chess game, even though this is a short cheapie cruise example. I'm sure it's the same deal on longer more expensive trips.

These upgrades don't seem to be done altruistically. Rather, they know that by moving one into a marginally better (maybe) cabin, it will be tougher for customer's to take advantage of price drops prior to final payment. Then, if they want to go to their original cabin, if it was a decent one, it might well be gone, leaving the person to stay in their new higher priced room. Of course, after final payment, they just do "flash sales" to fill the unsold rooms and they don't have to price match those.

Pretty tricky. Still dreaming of a balcony upgrade, but I don't suppose that will be forthcoming, at this poing.

Next came final payment and then they did a "flash sale", which decreased prices by another 15% or so. It was advertised pretty much everywhere but on their website. Called to see if they would price adjust, but they said they "didn't see it" and that I had the best price. Later found out that flash sales are typically for new bookings after final payment is made, so they don't have to do further price adjustments for booked passengers.

These flash rates are often only available to Travel Agents. That is why you saw it advertised everywhere but through Princess.

You are right, Flash rates are usually for new bookings.

Edited by Coral

Doing a quickie 3 day out of Los Angeles for my girlfriend's 50th birthday, which will occur on the 2nd day of the cruise. Booked an obstructed OW oceanview for $269, but picked a cabin between lifeboats so that the obstruction is minimal and also got a bottle of Champagne.

Shortly thereafter, I was upgraded to a non-obstructed oceanview that was going for $349 at the time. I thought that was pretty cool.

But after another short time, they dropped the rate on my old cabin to $229. Called to ask for a price adjustment and they said they couldn't do that because the new room was now at $279, which is more than I paid. Asked if they could move me back to my old cabin, since it was still available. They gave me a bit of a hard time, but ultimately did it. I lost the Champagne, but picked up $12.50 per person in OBC.

A little bit later, they upgraded me again to a higher priced, non-obstructed oceanview room. I declined this because it was at the bow of the ship, over the theater, and also at a higher price point and I was concerned that I couldn't take advantage of future price drops, which I thought were coming as the ship was largely empty. Again, got a hard time "I'm not sure we can do that", but eventually they moved me back to my original OW cabin.

They have a super great rate for past passengers, but apparently I can't qualify for that either.

Meanwhile, Carnival has a 4 night unobstructed OV 2 days later for $125, but I've been on that ship and wanted to try Golden Princess.

Not really complaining, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. It's just that I'm seeing how the game is played. It's kind of like a chess game, even though this is a short cheapie cruise example. I'm sure it's the same deal on longer more expensive trips.

These upgrades don't seem to be done altruistically. Rather, they know that by moving one into a marginally better (maybe) cabin, it will be tougher for customer's to take advantage of price drops prior to final payment. Then, if they want to go to their original cabin, if it was a decent one, it might well be gone, leaving the person to stay in their new higher priced room. Of course, after final payment, they just do "flash sales" to fill the unsold rooms and they don't have to price match those.

Pretty tricky. Still dreaming of a balcony upgrade, but I don't suppose that will be forthcoming, at this poing.

Pretty sure Princess flagged you as no upgrade at this point... you had the chance of getting much better cabins, at no cost, but you refused. Yet, you're complaining???? Did you expect to be upgraded to a suite at no cost?

Yes, this is the way businesses work... they are in it to make money!!!!

As you've never cruised on Princess before, of course you wouldn't qualify for a "past passenger" rate. There's no reciprocity between the Carnival and Princess loyalty programs.

Sounds like you got a good rate to start with. Not sure I would have spent all that time and effort for just a few $$.

You might have done better in the first place by using a good discount Princess TA.

Pretty sure Princess flagged you as no upgrade at this point... you had the chance of getting much better cabins, at no cost, but you refused. Yet, you're complaining????

Apparently you didn't see this sentence, so I'll repeat it, "Not really complaining, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. It's just that I'm seeing how the game is played. It's kind of like a chess game, even though this is a short cheapie cruise example."

Apparently you didn't see this sentence, so I'll repeat it, "Not really complaining, so hopefully it's not coming across that way. It's just that I'm seeing how the game is played. It's kind of like a chess game, even though this is a short cheapie cruise example."

I saw it, I didn't think you were complaining at all, just assessing the situation.

As you've never cruised on Princess before, of course you wouldn't qualify for a "past passenger" rate. There's no reciprocity between the Carnival and Princess loyalty programs.

Sounds like you got a good rate to start with. Not sure I would have spent all that time and effort for just a few $$.

You might have done better in the first place by using a good discount Princess TA.

I can't see how a TA would have made much difference, in this example. Maybe a tiny bit of extra OBC...maybe. But on a cheapie 3 day, I'd have to weigh that against having the flexibility of calling them whenever I feel like it, versus tracking down a TA.

I can't see how a TA would have made much difference, in this example. Maybe a tiny bit of extra OBC...maybe. But on a cheapie 3 day, I'd have to weigh that against having the flexibility of calling them whenever I feel like it, versus tracking down a TA.
I took a "cheapie" 4-day cruise last January and yes, using my TA made a difference. I didn't have to "play the game."

I took a "cheapie" 4-day cruise last January and yes, using my TA made a difference. I didn't have to "play the game."

"The game" is not about whether you do or don't use a travel agent. It's about how the cruiselines will "upgrade" you based primarily or solely on whatever extracts maximum money out of you or benefits them otherwise. I can't see how things would have been even a little bit different with or without a TA. Sure, you could have requested "no upgrade" either way, but that would have precluded one from that rare exceptional upgrade.

If I'm missing something here, please let me know. :-)

Edited by Stockjock

The difference with Princess is requesting "No" upgrade vs. "Meta" upgrade only. We, to our amazement, went from a regular balcony cabin to a mini-suite on our Hawaii cruise last year. Probably a "one-off", but, it was great for that cruise. :cool:

" It's about how the cruiselines will "upgrade" you based primarily or solely on whatever extracts maximum money out of you or benefits them otherwise. I can't see how things would have been even a little bit different with or without a TA. Sure, you could have requested "no upgrade" either way, but that would have precluded one from that rare exceptional upgrade.

While I hardly view Carnival Cruise Lines as a charity, you're extrapolating heavily based on your particular experience, which seems to include hopes of Princess bending the rules in your favor.

I've been upgraded a few times on my 13 Princess cruises, the best being a last-minute upgrade on the Royal's inaugural Transatlantic from the cheapest inside to a nice balcony cabin. Since I'm already a Princess loyalist, I'm not sure what the Upgrade Fairy possibly had to gain through her generosity.

It seems trivial worrying about upgrades over a few minor $$$ difference in the price.

You should be more concerned about location.

I agree some upgrades are bad. In effect cruise lines often "downgrade" unsuspecting passengers to inferior cabins that are disliked by many people.

I can understand not wanting to be above or near the theatre. That is a reasonable ground to decline an upgrade.

On my last cruise I had booked an inside cabin on Lido deck on the Diamond Princess. For me it was a prime location with immediate access to the open decks, it was in a quiet area and up high so it ticked all the boxes of what I like. A week before the cruise I got an "upgrade notification" email. When I examined it more closely I decided it was not actually an upgrade for me as going from an inside on Lido deck to an obstructed outside on Emerald deck puts me in an inconvenient location compared to where I booked. The Princess cruises call centre person actually abused me on the phone for wanting my original cabin back!

Personally I do not care much for outside cabins. They are useless and a waste of money. I will either go for inside or balcony. A outside cabin is just a second rate excuse for people not rich enough to afford a balcony cabin. I have tried an outside cabin before and did not like it. You are behind thick glass and the window does not provide any benefit. The moment I tried a balcony cabin it was a different story. Having access to the outdoors and feeling the weather was better.

This is what I do. If I book an inside cabin I never want upgrades. I will turn them all down unless it is an upgrade to a balcony cabin.

If I have the money for a balcony cabin then I book a grade I know I will be happy with. I accept upgrades if I book a balcony cabin. Usually when upgraded in balcony grade cabins it is something I have always enjoyed.

I think for you booking an obstructed view cabin the only upgrades you are entitled to is to go down to a more inferior location in some views. Booking inside cabins they will try and upgrade you to obstructed views. If you don't like what the options are tell them you don't want upgrade offers.

The way I'm reading this is that you want a huge upgrade into a cabin hand picked by you, PLUS continuing price drops!!! It doesn't work that way. :rolleyes:

BINGO!;)

Mike:)

Odd. I didn't read the OP that way at all. More of a tutorial on how upgrades might work. Princess is getting ready to lower the fare on a cruise. 10% of the BA cabins remain unsold. If Princess does nothing, all of the existing BA passengers will call for re-faring and the first thing that Princess will look at is: are there cabins still available in that category. If so, all who call will get a lower fare. If not, they are told "no soup for you." So just before the fare sale, Princess moves people from the BB or BC categories into the BA category filling that group. When the sale goes into effect, the existing BA folks call for re-faring and are told that there are no cabins available in that category so they must remain at their existing fare. Seems to make perfect sense and I don't see this as complaining in any sense of the word. Not to mention that the OP said that they were not complaining, so reading a complaint into a post that disavows that very thing is inappropriate at the very least.

" A outside cabin is just a second rate excuse for people not rich enough to afford a balcony cabin. I have tried an outside cabin before and did not like it. You are behind thick glass and the window does not provide any benefit."

This is veering off topic, but your opinions on an outside being a second rate excuse... Is not how everyone feels. The first three cruises that I took were all balconies, but my fourth was an obstructed OV. To my surprise, it was just fine and have booked them since. For me there was nothing second rate about it (especially when I sat up in bed and watched the Sydney Opera House as we drifted by very early in the morning). I wouldn't dream of degrading anyone's preferences in cabins. The fact that we have different preferences is a lovely thing!

Edited by rpcv77
Left out word,correct spelling

Odd. I didn't read the OP that way at all. More of a tutorial on how upgrades might work.

Except that if there's one thing most of us agree on, it's that no one knows why and how the Upgrade Fairy works her magic. It's something of a leap from "This is what happened to me" to "This is how Princess' corporate policy functions." And though the OP might not have been complaining per se, it's not hard to discern, oh, accusations of bad faith in his post.

Like I've said, I don't idealize the suits in Santa Clarita; they're out to make a profit, not make me happy. But, well….

Except that if there's one thing most of us agree on, it's that no one knows why and how the Upgrade Fairy works her magic. It's something of a leap from "This is what happened to me" to "This is how Princess' corporate policy functions." And though the OP might not have been complaining per se, it's not hard to discern, oh, accusations of bad faith in his post.

Like I've said, I don't idealize the suits in Santa Clarita; they're out to make a profit, not make me happy. But, well….

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that the OP's tutorial is accurate or replicable. But it isn't a complaint. Merely one person's peek into the possible considerations of what might be going on. Seems like a stretch to read anything nefarious into it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that the OP's tutorial is accurate or replicable. But it isn't a complaint. Merely one person's peek into the possible considerations of what might be going on. Seems like a stretch to read anything nefarious into it.

Just because a person claims they are not complaining, doesn't mean they're not! Besides he said he wasn't "really" complaining. Either you are or you're not.

Personally I do not care much for outside cabins. They are useless and a waste of money. I will either go for inside or balcony. A outside cabin is just a second rate excuse for people not rich enough to afford a balcony cabin. I have tried an outside cabin before and did not like it.

Personally I would never take an inside cabin, if I wanted to live out of a walk in closet I could do that at home, and while yes I generally prefer a balcony cabin over an ocean view (obstructed or not) at some point price does enter the equation unless you have so much money that it is no object, if that is the case then why are you cruising on Princess lines? For me it depends on the cruise and the price difference, in generally I would be willing to pay more for a balcony cabin, but would not be willing to spend twice as much, unless perhaps it is a particularly scenic cruise. For our upcoming cruise next month the price difference between a bad obstructed view cabin and a balcony was only $75 per person, to me that made it a no brainer, but if it had been $300 pp I would say no way at least on this particular itinerary.

A outside cabin is just a second rate excuse for people not rich enough to afford a balcony cabin. I have tried an outside cabin before and did not like it. You are behind thick glass and the window does not provide any benefit.
I disagree with you 100%. The reason is that I can afford a mini even booking as a solo but ever since Princess changed the balcony chairs, I find them very uncomfortable and am unable to sit in them for more than a few minutes at a time. Thus, for me, balconies are useless and a waste of good money if I can't enjoy the balcony. I'm now booking OV cabins and have extra money for the Sanctuary or even another cruise.

As for the OPs post, it's important to be familiar with Princess ships and cabins. What Princess considers an upgrade might not be an upgrade in your or other passengers' eyes. Shortly before my recent RP cruise, I had an "obstructed" balcony on Emerald deck near the aft elevator that wasn't obstructed. Princess "upgraded" me to an Aloha deck unobstructed balcony mid-ship. No thanks... not on your life! I was able to get my cabin back. I loved the location and no way did I want to be stuck mid-ship.