Mobile phone reception

sparklybabe

Why don't you, try to keep in touch by Skype or FaceTime over the wifi on board. If your buying a package anyway it might work for you rather than phone bills which will be expensive...:mad:

Yeah its an option and worth trying. The only thing is last time we were on the connection was so slow that it was taking maybe 3 or 4 mins just to load a page and the data needed for Skype and Facetime is quite heavy so it might struggle but worth a shot.

If you feel you must ring every day, check out how much the in cabin phone would cost to use...

mobile phone signal would be via satellite , hence why it would be very very expensive..possibly more so than the in cabin phone.

I would also be very very strict with yourself ref length of call which ever way you do it..A 4 figure phone bill at the end of a holiday might take the shine off it a bit.

A thought did strike me.

Sometimes when I had the grandchildren and they got a bit told off and their mum rang then they would say they wanted their mum. This was when they were tiny.

If possible texts might be the way to go as when the little ones hear your voice they may get upset and then you would be upset too, not to mention their carer... then five minutes after you ring off they are probably as right as rain, having great fun, but you could be worried.

Thats kids for you.

I've just checked the Internet leaflet I picked up onboard in March, it states

"Considering the limits of satellite bandwidth, we ask that you use the Internet access only for email and web browsing. High volume data such as skype and similar types of services will not provide you with an acceptable experience"

"We recommend that you avoid utilising downloading music, books, Skype, Facetime etc"

Hope this helps

I've just checked the Internet leaflet I picked up onboard in March, it states

"Considering the limits of satellite bandwidth, we ask that you use the Internet access only for email and web browsing. High volume data such as skype and similar types of services will not provide you with an acceptable experience"

"We recommend that you avoid utilising downloading music, books, Skype, Facetime etc"

Hope this helps

Yes its painfully slow.

I think Skype is actually blocked now, Facetime is so slow its worthless, you wont get a picture and voice at the same time and that's if you get either!

Edited by CCFC

Just a thought - it may be cheaper for them to contact you from a landline instead of you ringing them. Could their aunt not ring your mobile at a given time from your landline (especially if she's staying at your house to care for your children). We used to do this when in Australia - my parents would check our house & ring us at the same time - worked out a lot cheaper & we still paid the phone bill.