Who are you? Who-who? Who? Who?

ramja96

DH and I might claim to be swingers, and say that we met at an 'alternative lifestyle club'.

It's interesting to see the wheels turn while people try to figure out if we're serious, whether we're hitting on them or not, and whether or not they'd accept an advance, if we were. Finally, whether or not they could talk their spouse into it.

When we're feeling silly, we make up random scenarios using lots of innuendo. wink-wink-nudge-nudge. You can see the 'oh, OHH. Really, hmmmm.'

That would have to be absolutely exhausting, especially at my age. Not sure that I'd want to use my valuable vacation time faking my identity. :rolleyes:

I agree. I would never be able to remember who I was supposed to be!:eek:

Lying to other people about who you are is a disgrace. Who do you think you are to make them into fools, just for believing you and being genuinely human toward you?

Here's a thought for you - is there any other species on earth that lies? Do dogs or horses or turtles lie, for example? No. Just humans. We're the species that lies.

And now you come here and encourage people to lie to other people when they're on a cruise? When you lie to someone, you make them a fool if you succeed. Why would you make fools out of perfectly genial, sociable people? To make yourself feel superior?

Lying is wrong. Stop doing it.

Some people take things way too seriously. This is not like someone is out to scam or swindle anyone.

Please - where is the harm?

Do you always have an absolute trust in people as soon as you meet them that would would be shattered by them telling phony life stories??

If you met a couple and hit it off with them is it because of what they do for a living or a few funny anecdotes about their lives?

Generally when we meet people on a cruise it is pretty casual and short term - we may run into each other around the ship and exchange pleasantries but that's about it - cruise ends so does any contact.

We have been fortunate to meet a couple dozen or so really great cruising friends on a few cruises. Even then, if we were to meet a couple and hit it off immediately and the friendship develop into something that will last longer than a cruise and they had started out pretending with us - I imagine eventually the truth would come out sooner or later - most likely over drinks - and we would all have a good laugh about it.

What a flame! I started reading this thread with a smile, and even googled and watched the Paul & Jamie episode, which I thought was fun.

Some of the responses the OP is getting are very angry (though I may have misinterpreted something due to English not being my native language). Maybe those angry people feel somehow let down with just a thought of being lied at - although people do lie all the time. Sweet little white lies, maybe, but still lies!

This let me thinking that how would you even know about "the lying" or "pretending"? If I have never seen the person before, and most probably never will again - what harm there is to me in just a conversation over dinner table? Why would it bother? How would I know if you are lying or not?

At a normal conversation level, what does it matter if the person is making up a story? Most of the conversation stories are a bit made up anyways - just to make them more entertaining for the listener. You color up stories, dont you?

If I was to build up a serious relationship or maybe thinking about giving my family fortune to the person, situation would be totally different. Like the person in here who met her spouse (and told him about her real age!) But on a holiday, vacation, cruise - it is so casual, that I would not mind at all if the other was pretending to be something else. I just hope to have a pleasant and entertaining time. If I was a good audience for the "Lier", I hope he also had a pleasant evening and enjoyed a moment of being an Astronaut, Spy or Circus Clown. He got the attention he so clearly wanted. I may or may not believe him, but I did a good job listening to his story of the night.

My mother never introduced herself as a doctor (physician) because somebody would always ask for an opinion about rash, wound, headache, pain or whatever. She told she was a civil servant, since she was working at a government hospital.

Miryam,

A Woman of many roles: Wife, Mother, Swimming referee, Pianist, World traveller, Chauffeur, Massage Therapist, Typist, Secretary, Travel agent, Blogger, Chairman and wannabe Author

I think this post was fun before all the preachers and deacons and perfect people arrived. People are too quick to judge others. One thing about it EVERYBODY lies. Don't try to act as though you've never lied in your life. Even a little white lie is still considered a lie.

But back to the topic at hand....Every time I cruised with my husband we were newlyweds celebrating our honeymoon. We received plenty of congrats and celebratory drinks. I'm not a people person so I've never met anyone that I continued to talk to after the cruise is over. For me, the most you'll probably get is a cordial hello in passing on the ship or maybe if we pass each other in the ports.

<snip>

But back to the topic at hand....Every time I cruised with my husband we were newlyweds celebrating our honeymoon. We received plenty of congrats and celebratory drinks. I'm not a people person so I've never met anyone that I continued to talk to after the cruise is over. For me, the most you'll probably get is a cordial hello in passing on the ship or maybe if we pass each other in the ports.

You accept gifts from strangers you have deceived and then come here and tell us about it? Wow...... What do you think that does for the people reading here who have made such a nice gesture for a stranger in the past and now they feel the fool for having been 'taken'? Who of us would now make such a nice courtesy in the future feeling reluctant now to do so for a couple who truly was being honest.

Lies do harm.

You accept gifts from strangers you have deceived and then come here and tell us about it? Wow...... What do you think that does for the people reading here who have made such a nice gesture for a stranger in the past and now they feel the fool for having been 'taken'? Who of us would now make such a nice courtesy in the future feeling reluctant now to do so for a couple who truly was being honest.

Lies do harm.

You are not obligated to give anyone anything. We never asked to be given anything either. There is no harm in keeping the spice in my relationship by treating every vacation as a honeymoon. In actuality you or anyone else should feel like a fool for buying something for someone who you do not know.

you are not obligated to give anyone anything. We never asked to be given anything either. There is no harm in keeping the spice in my relationship by treating every vacation as a honeymoon. In actuality you or anyone else should feel like a fool for buying something for someone who you do not know.

WOW!!! That makes me sad.

Edited by buckeye rob

You are not obligated to give anyone anything. We never asked to be given anything either. There is no harm in keeping the spice in my relationship by treating every vacation as a honeymoon. In actuality you or anyone else should feel like a fool for buying something for someone who you do not know.

WOW!!! That makes me sad.

Yes, sad is the word. It doesn't even call for anger.

Edited by sail7seas

You have got to be kidding me. I am sooooo biting my tongue and will only post a bit of what I would like.

No, there is not anything wrong with keeping the spice in your relationship. The problem, which you don't seem to comprehend, is lying about it being your honeymoon in order to, hopefully, get some free drinks.

Your response to Sail7Seas is also pathetic. She would not be a fool for buying something for someone she didn't know. She would simply, out of the goodness of her heart, be offering a congratulatory drink and wishing the couple well on their anniversary. She is always a gracious lady here and I'm sure she is in real life. Do you really think that no one ever offers a drink to someone they don't know on a personal level? Too bad they are taken in by people who choose to lie.

No, in actuality,.......:rolleyes:

On a Carnival Liberty cruise, we were first seated at a two person table that was between two rows of booths, in the middle of the main aisle to the back of the dining room. It was like sitting on the median of a freeway. We decided to give it a second night, but it was no better and we went to the maître d and asked to be moved. He said we would have to share and we said that we were OK with this, if the people at the table were.

We were taken to a booth on the same level we had been on, but on the other side of the dining room, where one man was seated in a booth. He had a twelve year old daughter who had made a friend and was sitting at their table on the first level. We could see the table from our booth by the railing overlooking the first level. If she was not eating, he would go downstairs and get her to eat.

Anyway, he welcomed us and in the course of the conversation, he said he had played football for the Detroit Lions. He told us when he played and it was at least 10 years back, and my husband and I asked some questions and he talked about it. He was built like a football player. He also said he was now on the Board of a charity to teach children to dial 911.

We had enjoyable dinners all week. When we got home, I looked for his name on team lists for the Detroit Lions for that time period and never found it. I did find him on the Board for that charity. I may have just missed seeing it, but I don't think so.

I will always wonder if he just had some fun inventing a past he did not get to live, or if it was true. I think I believed it on the ship.

It wasn't Tim Brown was it?

Tell anyone that asks that you are Thurston Howell the third, bonus points for wearing a captains hat and double breasted blazer.

Love this idea. What a great ice breaker. Of course when all the laughing ceases we can introduce our real selves. Gotta remember this for our January cruise.

My son once told a gal at a bar that he wrote jingles for TV. He told her he wrote the Red Robin jingle. You know the one.... "Red Robin hmmmmm". It was good clean fun. Not sure what color her hair was but she believed him.

Edited by Boozebabe

My son once told a gal at a bar that he wrote jingles for TV. He told her he wrote the Red Robin jingle. You know the one.... "Red Robin hmmmmm".

I would have known he didn't write it cuz the words are actually "Red Robin...yummmmm". DH can't drive by a Red Robin without saying yummmm! Too funny!

OK, here's a "different" question. My wife and I were talking about our upcoming cruise and I brought up the subject of pretending to be someone else on the cruise to make things interesting. I said that I think most of the people we've had dinner with in the MDR have at the very least exaggerated who/what they are to make them appear more interesting. I thought it might be fun on our next cruise to do this. Have you ever done this? If so, who's your alter-ego? I'm looking for ideas - LOL. :p (This is strictly in good fun - no ill intent here)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Actually we've never pretended to be anyone else but ourselves and I can almost promise all of you that my sister and my lives are pretty boring. So while we would have liked to "spice up" our lives a little we figured that we would never know who we might run into who just happens to know someone from our area. Its happened before and were glad that we were being ourselves since my sister just happen to run into one of her bosses' brother who lived in another state. And sure enough by the time the cruise was over and my sister was back at work her boss knew all about the chance meeting.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Actually we've never pretended to be anyone else but ourselves and I can almost promise all of you that my sister and my lives are pretty boring. So while we would have liked to "spice up" our lives a little we figured that we would never know who we might run into who just happens to know someone from our area. Its happened before and were glad that we were being ourselves since my sister just happen to run into one of her bosses' brother who lived in another state. And sure enough by the time the cruise was over and my sister was back at work her boss knew all about the chance meeting.

Along those same lines...........

DH was a professional with a private practice. He had some responsible people in his profession who covered for him when we traveled. By HUGE coincidence, we found ourselves on a ship, sailing from Copenhagen and the parents of the person who was covering his practice were aboard.

I cannot imagine our humiliation and embarrassment were we to have played some stupid prank like pretending to be people other than we who were and they were to watch that pathetic scene! We wouldn't have been able to show our face in town again.

The world is a very small place these days. You never know who is watching, listening, and you never have to worry if what you are doing is honorable and decent.

That being said. I have no interest in telling anyone else who to live your lives. Just some food for thought..... :)

Oh my

Coming back to this thread I am reading so much and has really opened my eyes to alot of new insight.

Yea growing up is fun, and what I did I did in my twenties, and just shared a story.

Now that I am more Mature and well established in the work force I also would not joke about my career that I worked so hard to attain.

But, it makes one wonder how many exagerated stories are told on cruise ships with and without alcohol.

I am a good listener, and sometimes that is all one can do when you have a person going on and on about how great they are.

But as we all know when you start to tell non truths you will get busted and found out sooner or later..............thats what happened to me quickly in my 20's.

So

Enjoy cruiseing whoever you are or pretend to be.

Sea Ya

If the people we've met on cruises were acting or exaggerating....they really stunk at it.

Can't think of any reason to do it, nothing to gain but lots to lose if you happen to want to start a genuine friendship with them.