Question about Clearing Customs in SF

Ken_W

Or anywhere, for that matter, where this particular sequence of events occurs.

My first Princess cruise starts this Saturday, a coastal California cruise on the Star Princess embarking in San Francisco. I've been reading about the new terminal and the Customs Hall, and realized that on this upcoming itinerary our first port, two days into the cruise, is in Ensenada, in Mexico, and the following day we're in Long Beach, followed by days in Santa Barbara and San Diego. In other words, we never again stop outside the U.S.

But I just called Princess who have assured me that the only port in which we'll be clearing U.S. Customs is when we get to our disembarkation point, back in San Francisco.

Of course I'm happy to oblige, but what about the three U.S. ports we'll be entering after we've been outside the U.S.? Does anyone understand the reason for the lack of Customs inspection, or am I just being dense about something?

My first Princess cruise starts this Saturday, a coastal California cruise on the Star Princess embarking in San Francisco. I've been reading about the new terminal and the Customs Hall, and realized that on this upcoming itinerary our first port, two days into the cruise, is in Ensenada, in Mexico, and the following day we're in Long Beach, followed by days in Santa Barbara and San Diego. In other words, we never again stop outside the U.S.

But I just called Princess who have assured me that the only port in which we'll be clearing U.S. Customs is when we get to our disembarkation point, back in San Francisco.

Of course I'm happy to oblige, but what about the three U.S. ports we'll be entering after we've been outside the U.S.? Does anyone understand the reason for the lack of Customs inspection, or am I just being dense about something?

My recent experience was on a cruise starting and ending in Vancouver, BC. Our itinerary took us first to Victoria, BC then to San Francisco where we had to clear customs. Then we went on to Santa Barbara, Catalina, and L. A at the San Pedro cruise ship terminal before returning to Vancouver.

From that I got the impression that you have to clear customs at the first U.S.A. port you arrive at after being in a foreign port. But then I have taken an Alaskan cruise starting in Vancouver and we did not have to clear U.S. customs when we got to our next port at Ketchikan, Alaska.

Based on those two experiences, it is obvious that anything that is controlled by the U.S. government will be contradictory and confusing.

It may be that customs has set up to screen only disembarking passengers-not those continuing on with the cruise.

I have no idea why they would do this other than convenience. Customs has the right to search your luggage to determine if you are carrying contraband or are trying to circumvent the duty limits. It would be impractical to off load all the luggage at an intermediate US port and then have to reload it all-not to mention the hassle for the passengers.

So, I think it is mainly for the convenience passengers and the cruise line that they wit to disembarkation

My recent experience was on a cruise starting and ending in Vancouver, BC. Our itinerary took us first to Victoria, BC then to San Francisco where we had to clear customs. Then we went on to Santa Barbara, Catalina, and L. A at the San Pedro cruise ship terminal before returning to Vancouver.

From that I got the impression that you have to clear customs at the first U.S.A. port you arrive at after being in a foreign port. But then I have taken an Alaskan cruise starting in Vancouver and we did not have to clear U.S. customs when we got to our next port at Ketchikan, Alaska.

Based on those two experiences, it is obvious that anything that is controlled by the U.S. government will be contradictory and confusing.

US immigration for these Alaska cruise are usually completed in Vancouver, before check-in and boarding.

Since Ensenada falls in the middle of your itinerary, you will more than likely clear IMMIGRATION (not necessarily "Customs") upon arrival in Long Beach. When you disembark in SF at the end of your cruise, you will turn over your CUSTOMS declaration form in the terminal as you exit. Why not turn in the Customs declaration form in Long Beach as well? Because after departure from Long Beach you'll still have the opportunity to purchase duty-free goods aboard the ship that you would need to include on your declaration.

Why not turn in the Customs declaration form in Long Beach as well? Because after departure from Long Beach you'll still have the opportunity to purchase duty-free goods aboard the ship that you would need to include on your declaration.
But then can't you pick up all sorts of stuff in Mexico and offload it in Long Beach? I don't mean crates full of stuff. But things that are illegal or that have to be declared. If they only ask you to declare what's still in your possession by the time you get back to SF, isn't that a pretty major loophole?

But then can't you pick up all sorts of stuff in Mexico and offload it in Long Beach? I don't mean crates full of stuff. But things that are illegal or that have to be declared. If they only ask you to declare what's still in your possession by the time you get back to SF, isn't that a pretty major loophole?

Yes, I suppose you're correct. But every Coastal cruise I've sailed in the past (many!), we always cleared "customs" at the port of disembarkation with our luggage, even though we had earlier cleared Immigration at our first port of entry back into the US (if it was different than our port of disembarkation).

What's confusing about threads such as these is that many people use the term "clearing customs" interchangeably with clearing Immigration. The two are completely different processes.

Edited by BEAV

What's confusing about threads such as these is that many people use the term "clearing customs" interchangeably with clearing Immigration. The two are completely different processes.

Of which I am completely guilty even if I didn't use the word "immigration", or at least I don't think I did.

At this point, I will of course, go with the flow, buying my duty free scotch (and not usually much else!) and declaring to one and all that I did.

Yes, you could carry merchandise into the U.S. at Long Beach without declaring it, but you can also do that at San Francisco. There is a process to declare imported items should you wish to do it legally. You would have to visit the Customs office, and complete documentation. Items that are illegal to import in Long Beach are also illegal in San Francisco, and if you get caught it will not be pretty. So there is no "loophole." It is always up to the passenger to comply with all import laws. Customs is there for enforcement, and can or may check at any time.

So there is no "loophole." It is always up to the passenger to comply with all import laws. Customs is there for enforcement, and can or may check at any time.
I didn't mean a legal loophole, I am aware that the laws apply all the time. But they don't distribute the declaration forms to catch people who are deliberately breaking the law (although having signed a false declaration is useful proof of intent and an additional criminal charge if they do get caught). They do it to increase awareness, provide a deterrent presence, and to prevent people from unknowingly bringing in something they shouldn't, or too much of something, etc. So if they were really serious about this, and if they had unlimited resources, they would have a full customs inspection at the first US port, with everyone taking off all their luggage. That is not going to happen anytime soon. I guess everyone just accepts the additional risk associated with waiting until disembarkation, several ports later. (And we all know how thorough that inspection is. :rolleyes:) Edited by hawkeyetlse