Are there any "secret" cabins on the Maasdam?

Alberta Quilter

We're looking at a cruise next year on the Maasdam. As we've never been on the ship before, I'm hoping those of you who know her well can advise us of any secret cabins, or even cabins to avoid. We are looking at outside view cabins on the Main Deck as the verandahs are a little too dear for us right now.

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your help!

For an outside, take a look at the far aft cabins on Lower Promenade. There is a short passageway off the main passageway, heading to the outside door. There are a few cabins along in there that people rave about, because they are a little larger than the others. They are configured differently.

I visited in one once, just to see how it was different. I can't recall the specifics, but I do recall being impressed.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you (taking this off topic) - did you get to Abkhazi Gardens in Victoria?

Sadly, no. I had started having a great deal of trouble with my "good" leg before I left home. :( It only got worse as the time away lengthened. By Victoria, which was the last stop of the three weeks, I could barely walk at all. It was all I could do to walk to the tour carriage right outside the terminal; I couldn't walk back, and they had to bring a wheelchair just to get me on board.

There was no way I could have enjoyed the garden. There's been some healing, so perhaps next time?

Sadly, no. I had started having a great deal of trouble with my "good" leg before I left home. :( It only got worse as the time away lengthened. By Victoria, which was the last stop of the three weeks, I could barely walk at all. It was all I could do to walk to the tour carriage right outside the terminal; I couldn't walk back, and they had to bring a wheelchair just to get me on board.

There was no way I could have enjoyed the garden. There's been some healing, so perhaps next time?

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad you're on the mend, though, but wish it would heal faster! Yes, there is always next time. I think it is a good thing to have a reason to go back to a place previously visited.

There are some cabins on the Lower Promenade deck to avoid, those under the kitchen galley. This includes some lanais and ov cabins. If you book on this deck, look carefully at the deck above. Avoid any cabin with white space above next to the main dining room. These cabins can be noisy in the evening.

There are some cabins on the Lower Promenade deck to avoid, those under the kitchen galley. This includes some lanais and ov cabins. If you book on this deck, look carefully at the deck above. Avoid any cabin with white space above next to the main dining room. These cabins can be noisy in the evening.

Thank you for that reminder. Ruth's recommended cabins are under the MDR, not the galley.

I agree with Ruth. But if you want to save a bit more money the alt insides on that deck, that are right at the end of that corridor are fantastic too. We felt like we had our own private door to the promenade.

My favourite location! Although we were on Ryndam I think the layout is the same with the Maasdam.

Edited by 1of4

I agree with Ruth. But if you want to save a bit more money the alt insides on that deck, that are right at the end of that corridor are fantastic too. We felt like we had our own private door to the promenade.

My favourite location! Although we were on Ryndam I think the layout is the same with the Maasdam.

Thanks for the confirmation and the suggestion for the inside. We are two who NEED to see outside so we will spend the money for that and save elsewhere.

We're looking at a cruise next year on the Maasdam. As we've never been on the ship before, I'm hoping those of you who know her well can advise us of any secret cabins, or even cabins to avoid. We are looking at outside view cabins on the Main Deck as the verandahs are a little too dear for us right now.

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your help!

would like to know as well. thank you

Thank you for that reminder. Ruth's recommended cabins are under the MDR, not the galley.

Under the MDR is great. I generally book an inside cabin (usually cabin 400) for cost reasons, since I travel solo, and I love having a shower rather than a bathtub. But it is very quiet under the MDR. I have friends who have booked those far aft cabins and they loved that location. Enjoy.

For an outside, take a look at the far aft cabins on Lower Promenade.

I wonder if one wouldn't be awakened violently in one of these cabins when the anchor is dropped? Hmmm.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

"Violently"?

I'm thinking the chains dropping the anchor will make one rather "abrupt" noise, possibly disturbing one's sleep from a prone position to totally standing beside the bed! :eek:

I wonder if one wouldn't be awakened violently in one of these cabins when the anchor is dropped? Hmmm.

I spent 35 nights in one of the inside cabins a couple of doors up from that short cross passageway. I will admit that more than once I was jostled awake as the ship was arriving. It made for one heck of a good alarm clock!

I didn't find it a "violent" awakening, however. And to tell the truth, I needed to get up anyway. I would not consider this a deterrent from booking in that area again.

YMMV

Not at all from the anchor, but how often does HAL put out the anchor? Only at tender ports. The anchor (s) tend to be in the bow and not the stern??? Not sure if they are in both but I have only noticed them in the bow. I don't recall any vibration but we may already have been up and about as I am not a sleeper because of my work schedule. I hope this may change in a few years...

Edited by 1of4

Any problems with noises from late night vacuuming, etc. in the MDR after late seating??

I never heard a thing from above. Now, I do tend to go to bed late, but I also sleep late. I never heard anything from the morning breakfast crowd.

No. It's a wonderful location.

I'm booked in one of those on the Ryndam in February. However, on the Maasdam, we opted for a lanai and that was lovely as well. Depends on how much you want to spend.

No. It's a wonderful location.

I'm booked in one of those on the Ryndam in February. However, on the Maasdam, we opted for a lanai and that was lovely as well. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks, it's always nice to hear from someone who has actually spent time in one of the cabins in question. We may be on the Maasdam in Feb or March for a Southern Caribbean itinerary, so will definitely look at booking one of these cabins.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think these ships only have anchors forward, so these cabins would hear nothing. In 2003 I sailed Norwegian Sea from New York to St. George, Bermuda (great itinerary) I had an inside cabin, all the way forward on lowest deck, midships. They dropped anchor upon entering St. George harbor to facilitate turning in narrow area - the chain locker was just on the other side of the bulkhead - the whole cabin shuddered for about ten seconds with the roaring payout of the chain.

We have loved the lower aft insides on the Maasdam. Besides direct access to promenade on Deck 6-LP, on Deck 5-Main there is access to a small outside area and stairs to the promenade.

There is some noise and vibration for a short period when docking (thrusters and line winches, not the anchor which is forward) but not bad for us. Also, like Ruth C.; this acts as an alarm clock, as we like to get off early to go snorkeling.

Mike