Brand new to Royal...have questions.

tweis

As my title indicates, I have never sailed Royal before but booked Allure for May 2016. I have been reading these boards since booking and I have a lot of questions that I'm sure you wonderful people can answer for me. We have sailed Disney in the past and I'm sure some things are similar but after reading on here for the past 2 weeks, some things I'm just really not sure about.

1. On DCL cruisers can do their online check in, choose their port arrival time, book excursion, cabanas, adult dining, spa treatments, etc. based on their Castaway Club Level (new-75 days out, silver-90, Gold-105, Platinum/Concierge-120) how does this work on Royal and do you choose a port arrival time?

2. DCL allows you to carry on beer, liquor, wine, water, soda, etc. as long as it is in your carry on. From what I have read, I'm guessing that you can only carry on a bottle of wine on Royal?

3. It is my understanding that you need to make reservations for shows on Allure.....when is this done?

4. I have read about the Crown & Anchor society on the RCI website but I'm still slightly confused......how many points do you get per cruise? I saw on the website where it says that you can join while on a cruise but I'm guessing your first cruise has to be completed first? Are you not enrolled automatically?

5. I keep reading about lounges and such that are for certain C&A members and concierge....how do I know if which lounges are for whom? :confused:

I think that is all for now but I'm sure I will have a lot more between now and when we sail. TIA :)

As my title indicates, I have never sailed Royal before but booked Allure for May 2016. I have been reading these boards since booking and I have a lot of questions that I'm sure you wonderful people can answer for me. We have sailed Disney in the past and I'm sure some things are similar but after reading on here for the past 2 weeks, some things I'm just really not sure about.

1. On DCL cruisers can do their online check in, choose their port arrival time, book excursion, cabanas, adult dining, spa treatments, etc. based on their Castaway Club Level (new-75 days out, silver-90, Gold-105, Platinum/Concierge-120) how does this work on Royal and do you choose a port arrival time? No need to select a time, just arrive at a time that is convenient for you.

2. DCL allows you to carry on beer, liquor, wine, water, soda, etc. as long as it is in your carry on. From what I have read, I'm guessing that you can only carry on a bottle of wine on Royal?

3. It is my understanding that you need to make reservations for shows on Allure.....when is this done?

4. I have read about the Crown & Anchor society on the RCI website but I'm still slightly confused......how many points do you get per cruise? I saw on the website where it says that you can join while on a cruise but I'm guessing your first cruise has to be completed first? Are you not enrolled automatically? You get one point per night or double points if you are in a suite.

5. I keep reading about lounges and such that are for certain C&A members and concierge....how do I know if which lounges are for whom? :confused: I think you need to swipe you SeaPass card (room key) for access to the lounges for certain levels or suites.

I think that is all for now but I'm sure I will have a lot more between now and when we sail. TIA :)

Some answers above in red.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Technically, Royal only allows two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought onboard. However, they frequently don't enforce the rule for water and soda.

Show reservations can be made on Royal's website some months before the cruise. There is no set time, you just have to check the website periodically.

C&A membership is not automatic, you must opt to join. You can join during or after your first cruise. You get one point per night of cruise, and an extra point per night if you stay in a Junior Suite or better, and an extra point per night if you are a single in a statetoom that normall holds two or more.

Edited by clarea

Make sure you join C&A in case you love Royal and want to start accruing points. It's quite simple not, one night on a ship is one point. If staying in a suite, I believe you get two points per night. You may see special events for C&A members but I believe this is for platinum level and higher typically.

Some answers above in red.

So you just show up whenever you want? That's kinda cool but I'm guessing the terminal can get quite busy that way? Good to know that you have to swipe your Sea Pass card to get into these areas. I would hate to be somewhere that I'm not supposed to be. Thank you. :)

Technically, Royal only allows two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought onboard. However, they frequently don't enforce the rule for water and soda.

Show reservations can be made on Royal's website some months before the cruise. There is no set time, you just have to check the website periodically.

C&A membership is not automatic, you must opt to join. You can join during or after your first cruise. You get one point per night of cruise, and an extra point per night if you stay in a Junior Suite or better, and an extra point per night if you are a single in a statetoom that normall holds two or more.

I'm kinda scratchin my head over this.......there is no time frame for reserving shows? What about excursions and such? So I can join C&A during my first cruise? Also, the wording was kind of odd to me but will every member of my family that is in the cabin get points or only the lead person on the reservation? Thank you.

Points are per person. You can join your first cruise and see benefits on your second.

Check-in is very well-organized. Sometimes things can get baked up if there is an issue (coast guard inspection, etc) but I'm sure the same is true with Disney.

If an area is restricted there will either be a door/gate with swipe-access or there will be signs posted.

..I'm kinda scratchin my head over this.......there is no time frame for reserving shows? What about excursions and such? So I can join C&A during my first cruise? Also, the wording was kind of odd to me but will every member of my family that is in the cabin get points or only the lead person on the reservation? Thank you.

Welcome to the world of Royal. There is no set time for excursions, dining, show reservations to open. Royal might say 90 days, but many here report widely differing times. Also, excursions may open a year in advance, but dining and shows much closer. There's no correlation.

Im also confused on the C&A sign up...new cruiser

I assume if this can be done on the ship you would go to guest services but do you sign each member up thats on the cruise with you or do they take your reservation and then TADA your signed up and the next cruise is valid for the C&A points??

I agree OP, the wording is obnoxious online.

Im also confused on the C&A sign up...new cruiser

I assume if this can be done on the ship you would go to guest services but do you sign each member up thats on the cruise with you or do they take your reservation and then TADA your signed up and the next cruise is valid for the C&A points??

I agree OP, the wording is obnoxious online.

You go to the Loyalty Ambassador to sign up for C&A onboard a cruise.

Not sure, but you may have to fill out an application for each guest that wants to join.

So you just show up whenever you want? That's kinda cool but I'm guessing the terminal can get quite busy that way? Good to know that you have to swipe your Sea Pass card to get into these areas. I would hate to be somewhere that I'm not supposed to be. Thank you. :)

I'm kinda scratchin my head over this.......there is no time frame for reserving shows? What about excursions and such? So I can join C&A during my first cruise? Also, the wording was kind of odd to me but will every member of my family that is in the cabin get points or only the lead person on the reservation? Thank you.

To join C&A you need to complete your first cruise first. It can take up to 14 days following that cruise for you to be "in their system" so you can join.

C&A points are for each individual. If you have 2 people in your cabin, each person will receive one point per night on the cruise, or 2 points per night for suites.

When we did our first cruise we signed up at the desk where you can book your next cruise since we were doing that anyway. They will sign you up, but in order to access your account you will need to set it up abotu 2 weeks after your cruise ended online. It takes a little while for you to get in the system.

Royal as a pre-cruise planner thing that they open up a few months out from the cruise. Once that is open (and it is open to all levels at the same time i believe) you will be able to begin booking excursions, specialty dining, My Time Dining or Dynamic Dining, shows, etc.

When we went we did the My Time Dining and reserved our time the day of. For the most part we were able to get what we wanted which was usually around 7/7:30. For the shows we booked most of those on the ship as well. I think we did Chicago before the cruise but even that had empty seats in it at the show we went to. We only had trouble getting into the Comedy show. Most of these bookings can actually be done right from your TV in the stateroom.

As for not being in places you arent supposed to be in, the way I see it is if it isnt clearly marked or locked off you should be allowed in. When we were on the Allure we honestly didnt even have time to look for these lounges. There were plenty of other bars/lounges that we were hanging out in. I dont think that you will get kicked off the boat if you wind up in the diamond lounge. The Bartender would probably just ask you to leave as you will need to show him your sea pass card.

Hello! I can tell you have done some research and you seem to have a good grasp of things. I know you already have some answers. You may get conflicting answers, just go with the majority. An example of this is specifically booking shows on Allure and when they are available. The best answer may be 30-60 days ahead. Someone will say 40 days because that is what happened to them. My observation, having been on Allure twice and having read roll calls of a dozen different Allure cruises is (drum roll) The person or people in charge of that open the online show reservations for a couple of cruises at a time. On my 2013 cruise they opened up right about 43 days, but it oepned the same day for the cruise before us, so it was 36 days for them. This is one place the roll call groups are really helpful. All of us in both my Allure Roll calls were able to get all the show times we wanted because we let each other know as soon as they became available.

Edited by BillOh

You go to the Loyalty Ambassador to sign up for C&A onboard a cruise.

Not sure, but you may have to fill out an application for each guest that wants to join.

If you forget, you can join when you get back home as long as you know your reservation number. The forms are probably also at Guest Services. My experience with the Loyalty Ambassadors hasn't been that great. If they are at their desk and have someone with them you might wait 30 minutes just to get the form handed to you with an attitude.

5. I keep reading about lounges and such that are for certain C&A members and concierge....how do I know if which lounges are for whom? :confused:

There are two private lounges on board RCI ships - the Concierge Lounge and the Diamond Club.

The Concierge Lounge is reserved for guests staying in a Grand Suite or higher, and Crown & Anchor Loyalty Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members.

The Diamond Club is reserved for Crown & Anchor Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club members only.

Both provide a 24 private lounge area, complimentary nightly cocktail hour, 24 hour specialty coffee service, and daily Concierge services for their guests. (reserving specialty restaurants, assisting on board with excursions and show bookings, printing flight boarding passes, etc.) Access is via a code embedded in your SeaPass card.

As you are a first time cruiser with RCI the only private lounge you would be eligible to visit would be the Concierge Lounge if you will be staying in a Grand Suite or higher.

As others have mentioned the C & A points are based on each night on a cruise and accrued after each cruise is taken. The respective tier level benefits are provided on the next cruise taken and no benefits are provided on the first cruise taken with RCI. Registration can be on board or after your cruise on line.

Edited by leaveitallbehind