Roll Call for: ALL ...All... ALL...

canaturelover

Am I the only one who is surprised with people starting Roll Calls for cruises in the general format? All Christmas.... All Scenic... All Budapest to.... etc.

When did this start happening? Why?

I was under the impression that the Roll Call format was to ascertain who was going to be on a specific cruise at a specific time. The rest of the questions were to be asked/researched on the general River Cruises Forum, Ports of Call, or on the Member Review Forum.

However, seeing the # of responses to these generic threads, shows me that my thinking is old-fashioned.

I have 1 post with no response, a few views, and do use the search engine. And whilst I am happy for a meet and greet scenario, I have no desire or time to wade through 100, 300, 500, 800 plus responses in the "ALL."... threads.

Not asking for any response. Sure that those threads were started with the best of intentions - gone Wild!

Sandy

There have been several threads discussing why the specific roll call format doesn't work for river cruises (less than 200 total passengers, only a small percentage of whom read Cruise Critic, means no critical mass). The more general format you refer is actually preferred.

I am moving this thread to the main River Cruising forum because it isn't a roll call at all.

Really think the all all all is very helpful with trips like Russia and the Christmas market itineraries... This gives those of us who have been on the to help those traveling in the future. Have never really met anyone beforehand--just absorb the info about ports and things to see in the particular port. Pat

Am I the only one who is surprised with people starting Roll Calls for cruises in the general format? All Christmas.... All Scenic... All Budapest to.... etc.

I was under the impression that the Roll Call format was to ascertain who was going to be on a specific cruise at a specific time. The rest of the questions were to be asked/researched on the general River Cruises Forum, Ports of Call, or on the Member Review Forum.

However, seeing the # of responses to these generic threads, shows me that my thinking is old-fashioned.

I have 1 post with no response, a few views, and do use the search engine. And whilst I am happy for a meet and greet scenario, I have no desire or time to wade through 100, 300, 500, 800 plus responses in the "ALL."... threads.

Not asking for any response. Sure that those threads were started with the best of intentions - gone Wild!

Sandy

Different strokes for different folks.

I completely disagree with your take on the topic. I like the "ALL" types of threads. I like having one go-to thread where you know you can find an audience to answer your questions. Yes, these threads are long but it isn't necessary to start at the first post in order to take advantage of them. Moreover, once you find the thread, it is easy to keep up with the conversation by subscribing and receiving the daily digest, which will deliver 24 hours worth of posts to your inbox each morning. I spend about five minutes each morning reading the one or two digests I receive each day from the 20 or so thread that I'm subscribed to. As Jazzbeau points pout, critical mass is an issue and ALL threads are one way of getting around that issue --and they are a loot easier to deal with than having to check the river cruise forum each day or two for new threads.

Sandy

While individual Roll Calls might work in the Ocean Boards, the reason is does not work for River Cruises is due to the small numbers of cruisers represented on this board. The result would be roll calls with just one member and no one else on CC on that cruise.

The "All Budapest to Amsterdam" and reverse is a good example. Several different River Cruise companies and dates. We are sharing our similar itineraries, pre planning flts, hotels and must see sites. In some cases hearing about a members trip taken before your trip.

This may not be the perfect solution but I have learned so much about River cruising whether it's from a Viking trip or a AMA trip.... It works!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

You might take a look at the "VANTAGE Roll Calls 2014-2015" and the format there. If you go to the last page, you'll see all the folks who have indicated that they're cruising Vantage this year and next in a single post. A couple of us keep it updated whenever someone asks to be added.

The big problem is that CC doesn't allow direct messaging, so if you do see someone on your cruise, there's no way to contact them directly.

FuelScience

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025444&page=7

Roll calls are invaluable for ocean cruising in order to organize private tour groups. River cruises provide an included tour at each port. I don't think there is much to talk about other than tour sharing.

Our Viking cruise had a large number of total cruise newbies, first time to take any kind of cruise. Very few would have heard of cruise critic.

An example of how a broader more inclusive roll call works well is our All 2015 Viking Rhine Getaway Roll Call. We have people from 25 different 2015 sailing dates on the roll call and a few people from 2014 dates or other cruise lines. Only two of those dates have recently had a second cruise critic member share the same sailing date. If we had separate roll calls for each of the sailing dates, no one would have anyone else on their roll call...pretty lonely :( I keep the roll call list updated as new people join and that way people can see at a glance if there is someone else on their specific sailing date. As mentioned, we are getting very few matches for the sailing dates so we are all looking forward to our private cruises!;) The shared roll call is still a great venue for sharing info and excitement about our itinerary. :)

Edited by banditoo

• 1 month later...