How much did you pay for one way car rental Anchorage to Seward ?

uvasag

I'm making reservations for whatever I can for my trip to Alaska in July 2015. I booked a one way car rental with Hertz from Anchorage downtown to Seward. It's for a mid size SUV comparable to Toyota Rav4. My rental price came to $115 incl. of all taxes. There is no mention of one way drop off charges in the confirmation email. I'm still looking at car rentals just to see if I get a better deal or a free upgrade etc. However, the new rentals are coming up with a $100 one way drop off fee. I want to know what fellow travelers paid for a one way rental. My reservations were directly from the Hertz website. Does my existing reservation have a hidden one way fee that I'm unaware of ? TIA

I booked sort of late (February for a July visit) one-way from Seward to Anchorage. I got a compact for about $150 per day (including taxes). When I arrived, they wanted to give me a subcompact, so they agreed to about $120 per day. Hertz is the only (national) car rental in Seward, and I didn't find any deals that applied to Seward. I believe any one-way fee is built into the daily rate. I was not charged any extra fee.

Just double check your reservation details- every line. :) If you have a valid reservation (correct dates, correct cities, ) then you got a fantastic deal.

I sailed with one person this summer who was bragging all over the board how she got a $44 day rate from Whittier Avis- which was also a "deal" that others were trying to get. Ended up she had booked with Whittier Ca. and was out of luck with sold out cars when she found out.

Just double check your reservation details- every line. :) If you have a valid reservation (correct dates, correct cities, ) then you got a fantastic deal.

I sailed with one person this summer who was bragging all over the board how she got a $44 day rate from Whittier Avis- which was also a "deal" that others were trying to get. Ended up she had booked with Whittier Ca. and was out of luck with sold out cars when she found out.

Thank you Budget Queen. I will double check. One more question. The Hertz website seems flaky so thought of asking here. It sometimes tells me that the Anchorage downtown location is closed for the dates I entered. I'm entering July 11th 2015 Saturday 4:00 pm as my pick up time. Is the downtown location closed on Saturday around 4:00 pm ?

Thank you Budget Queen. I will double check. One more question. The Hertz website seems flaky so thought of asking here. It sometimes tells me that the Anchorage downtown location is closed for the dates I entered. I'm entering July 11th 2015 Saturday 4:00 pm as my pick up time. Is the downtown location closed on Saturday around 4:00 pm ?

"Sometimes" tells you? Did you book more than once? Just check their site multiple times? Normally a car rental company's website won't let you book for a pick up time that they are closed. So that is really making me wonder. Did you get a confirmation number? Do you have a printout of the confirmation? Can you verify all the details with Hertz?

Edited by frugaltravel

I made a one way rental from Seward to Anchorage for next June. For 2 days in a full size car I'm paying $317. Here's the number for the Seward office...907-224-4378. I had no luck trying to book online and went through this office. They were very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Sometimes" tells you? Did you book more than once? Just check their site multiple times? Normally a car rental company's website won't let you book for a pick up time that they are closed. So that is really making me wonder. Did you get a confirmation number? Do you have a printout of the confirmation? Can you verify all the details with Hertz?

Ok here is the deal. When I made my booking I picked June instead of July. So the booking wen thru since it was a week day and they are open. BudgetQueen thanks for asking me to double check everything. Once I found the mistake, I tried changing my reservation to July 11th which is a Saturday and that is why it won't let the reservation go thru. I called up the Anchorage office and they said to try booking in Feb. 2015 . That is when the summer hours will be reflected and it will let me book a car for a Saturday of July. Now my only hope is that I get the same price as I am getting now. It shows me the same price of $115 even for July 9th. We'll see how this one goes. Thank you all for your help.

Ok here is the deal. When I made my booking I picked June instead of July. So the booking wen thru since it was a week day and they are open. BudgetQueen thanks for asking me to double check everything. Once I found the mistake, I tried changing my reservation to July 11th which is a Saturday and that is why it won't let the reservation go thru. I called up the Anchorage office and they said to try booking in Feb. 2015 . That is when the summer hours will be reflected and it will let me book a car for a Saturday of July. Now my only hope is that I get the same price as I am getting now. It shows me the same price of $115 even for July 9th. We'll see how this one goes. Thank you all for your help.

Good luck, but my bets are that you won't get that $115 rate if you wait..and wait...and wait to book. Plus, if they are closed, the rate could be $0 and it wouldn't matter. My guess is that they will not be open after noon on Saturday and won't open again until Monday morning. Pretty much all off-airport rental companies in Anchorage are that way (Thrifty/Dollar on Spenard Road being an exception).

Good luck, but my bets are that you won't get that $115 rate if you wait..and wait...and wait to book. Plus, if they are closed, the rate could be $0 and it wouldn't matter. My guess is that they will not be open after noon on Saturday and won't open again until Monday morning. Pretty much all off-airport rental companies in Anchorage are that way (Thrifty/Dollar on Spenard Road being an exception).

What would you suggest then ? I book a rental from the airport ? My flight lands at 3:00 pm so I know the earliest I can make it to downtown is 4:00 pm.

Do not wait till feb to book. The rates around now are the best you will get. Ring hertz and book over the phone. They will do one way bookings and tell you all rates and charges and email you a receipt.

I rang hertz and they said to book one ways you should ring. They told me there was no one way drop fee between Anchorage airport and Anchorage and no difference in price. So if you have to rent from the airport do so. The airport office is open 24/7. The hertz people in the phone should be able to book even if an office is not currently open- they will know the summer hours. Just don't wait till feb.

I didn't book a drop off in Seward, just to be clear. :)

Edited by paddingtonbear

Do not wait till feb to book. The rates around now are the best you will get. Ring hertz and book over the phone. They will do one way bookings and tell you all rates and charges and email you a receipt.

I called both the 800 # Hertz and Anchorage Hertz and they both told me that they can't book for Saturday as their system shows it as the location is closed. They both asked me to wait till 2015 for the system to reflect summer hours and only then it can be booked. I was thinking of booking for July 9th - July 10th and then when the summer hours are reflected in the system, I can modify the reservation with the new dates. However, if the location is closed by 4:00 pm then it won't work. So now my question is what time on Saturday does the Anchorage downtown Hertz close ?

I called both the 800 # Hertz and Anchorage Hertz and they both told me that they can't book for Saturday as their system shows it as the location is closed. They both asked me to wait till 2015 for the system to reflect summer hours and only then it can be booked. I was thinking of booking for July 9th - July 10th and then when the summer hours are reflected in the system, I can modify the reservation with the new dates. However, if the location is closed by 4:00 pm then it won't work. So now my question is what time on Saturday does the Anchorage downtown Hertz close ?

I am really sorry, I don't know their hours. Except that their website says mon>fri only.

If you are flying in is it possible to book anchorage airport > Seward now and cancel later if you get a more suitable/better deal later when the downtown office opens?

Edited by paddingtonbear

I am really sorry, I don't know their hours. Except that their website says mon>fri only.

If you are flying in is it possible to book anchorage airport > Seward now and cancel later if you get a more suitable/better deal later when the downtown office opens?

Yes will book at the airport location just to be safe. Thank you all for your help :)

I was thinking of booking for July 9th - July 10th and then when the summer hours are reflected in the system, I can modify the reservation with the new dates. However, if the location is closed by 4:00 pm then it won't work.

Actually it won't work in any case. If you change the date of the reservation, the rate at the time of the change is what you will be quoted. No way around that.

Booking something now, as was suggested above, is your best option at this point.

I've seen $150 - $250 as the price range for a one-way rental between Anc and Seward.

The cheapest transfer I've seen for is $45 pp ( Seward Bus Lines, airport pickup), so for the 4 of you, $180.

Hopefully you'll get a good deal like theloo and pay $150 for a Hertz car. Add $30 for gas,and it matches the cost of a transfer.

But if you don't get a deal, you'll need to make a decision about the worth of driving and sightseeing. If the car costs $200, are the additional sightseeing opportunities worth an additional $50 to you? $75?

I'd grab whatever car you can get now, then check back frequently for a better deal. Check until the day you leave home.

(the airport IS more expensive than downtown. If you dummy a reservation you'll see that the airport has an additional $30 in fees.) The base rate is higher for airport cars too but that can fluctuate greatly).

Edited by mapleleaves

(the airport IS more expensive than downtown. If you dummy a reservation you'll see that the airport has an additional $30 in fees.) The base rate is higher for airport cars too but that can fluctuate greatly).

Mapleleaves,

The airport isn't more expensive for my booking. This could be as I am from Australia and I know our rates are different to yours but it is not always the case that the Airport is more expensive than the downtown locations in Anchorage.

Mapleleaves,

The airport isn't more expensive for my booking. This could be as I am from Australia and I know our rates are different to yours but it is not always the case that the Airport is more expensive than the downtown locations in Anchorage.

Agreed, that's why I advised her to check frequently and said "The base rate is higher for airport cars too but that can fluctuate greatly "

Edited by mapleleaves

Yes will book at the airport location just to be safe. Thank you all for your help :)

uvasag,

I asked on Trip Advisor for you and the two local destination experts said if Hertz Downtown Anchorage is open in summer it will only be 8-12 on saturday and closed sunday. They advised to ring the office direct if you want confirmation. It's the number on the website. 907-562-4595

Or you can email Anchorage downtown direct and ask:AnchorageDT-AKHLEWER@hertz.com

I think rental rates are still a little high at them moment compared to last year but I have booked for next year and am keeping my eye on the prices ready to pounce on a better deal. Make sure your booking can be cancelled without penalty.

What would you suggest then ? I book a rental from the airport ? My flight lands at 3:00 pm so I know the earliest I can make it to downtown is 4:00 pm.

I would suggest you just book your car from the airport and be done with it. Then you have a confirmed reservation. IF you are possible to change then book another with the other possibility, and firm up your plans as soon as possible then cancel the one you don't need.

ANY change to the reservation later- is likely to change the rate. So don't count on that strategy. Firm up your plans and double check and get these reservations in place now. The rates only go up and become sold out with one way rentals.

I rang hertz and they said to book one ways you should ring. They told me there was no one way drop fee between Anchorage airport and Anchorage and no difference in price. So if you have to rent from the airport do so. The airport office is open 24/7. The hertz people in the phone should be able to book even if an office is not currently open- they will know the summer hours. Just don't wait till feb.

I didn't book a drop off in Seward, just to be clear. :)

Most if not all the airport offices are not open 24/7 as stated above. Check the particular company you are renting from for their hours. I have had no problem with online reservations. If you reserve by phone, then be certain to get and later check the reservation number.

Most if not all the airport offices are not open 24/7 as stated above. Check the particular company you are renting from for their hours. I have had no problem with online reservations. If you reserve by phone, then be certain to get and later check the reservation number.

Ooops the Anchorage Airport is open 24/7 not the car rental operators. Sorry.

Edited by paddingtonbear

Thank you all for the help and also taking the time to post on tripadvisor for me. I really appreciate it. I will book an airport rental and a downtown rental for different dates of the week. I'll try and see if I can change the dates in 2015 and get the same rates. Downtown seems more and more unlikely as even if they are open they are only open till noon.

Mapleleaves - I could do a bus xfer but want to spend the time enjoying the scenic drive from ANC to Seward and make stops as we wish so even if it's costlier we might go with the rental car option.

I'm still researching a lot about Alaska and might change my mind but for now airport location seems to be the way to go :( .

Thanks once again.

I have a Hertz 1 way midsize SUV rental from ANC to Seward for $102 next year. I booked approximately 11 months in advance. The current price is showing as $251. Booking early has certainly got its advantages.

I too want to enjoy the scenic drive down and be able to stop when I want.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife