Bahamas..who would and who wouldn't do themagain?

screamin400

Starting to think about cruises for feb. 2016. We already did a carnival cruise out of tamp that did gran caymen and two others. Last year we did a RC cruise to grand caymen along with jamaica, haiti etc. This year we are doing RC out of Puerto Rico. We are thinking something for 2016 that can go out of Florida. I have heard good and bad about the Bahamas from the water isn't as nice to the sea is rougher and so on. What do you guys think and where else should we try?

Edited by screamin400

It's usually cooler in the Bahamas than in the Caribbean. All things being equal, we would rather cruise the Caribbean. However, even in January, it's still much warmer in the Bahamas than where we live, and I will gladly cruise there if that's all we can fit in at the time. We've been in Coco Cay a number of times in January and have enjoyed snorkeling there every time.

Starting to think about cruises for feb. 2016. We already did a carnival cruise out of tamp that did gran caymen and two others. Last year we did a RC cruise to grand caymen along with jamaica, haiti etc. This year we are doing RC out of Puerto Rico. We are thinking something for 2016 that can go out of Florida. I have heard good and bad about the Bahamas from the water isn't as nice to the sea is rougher and so on. What do you guys think and where else should we try?

The water is beautiful in the Bahamas.

I love going to the Bahamas even though I've been there 5 or 6 times. Water is beautiful and lots to do if you look around. I don't know why people have negative opinions about this place. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

You make your own good times.

I have been to the Bahamas, and they weren't my favorite place. I wouldn't say, "Pick any cruise -- so long as it includes the Bahamas!", but neither would I refuse a cruise because it includes the Bahamas.

I'd call my position moderate.

Been 4 or 5 times, Stayed at Atlantis and in Freeport many year s ago. Cruised to Nassau 3 times in the past 3 years, and going again next week. It's fun, there are always new things to enjoy and experience. A lot depends on the individual and where you set your expectations. Is it better than Aruba?? Different maybe.:)

We cruised on Carnival out of Charleston to Freeport and Nassau this past January and I would NOT do it again. It was FREEZING and the seas were so rough. There was only 1 day when the upper decks were opened. The rest of the time they were roped off.

Seas were too rough to dock at Freeport so we only got to go to Nassau, which I despised.

Nassau is a real pit ... esp the area around the port ... its a big ghetto with palm trees ... pretty areas ... nice views .. just stay outta the bad areas! Not my favorite place, but I'm not letting it stop me from taking Enchantment there in Feb !!

Coco Cay, on the other hand, is BEAUTIFUL!!

Edited by F27TW

Why not?

It can be a real "poop hole", if you know what I'm saying. It is very ghetto looking, junk everywhere, people hounding you to buy this and that, homeless people hounding you, etc. Thats as you head in town, I hear the area where Atlantis is isn't bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not look at Southern Caribbean cruises? We've been to the Bahamas several times, but we now either stay on the ship or stay on the ship. Nassau is nasty, but we got a great last minute deal a couple of years ago for a short cruise there. It was relaxing and we enjoyed having so many less people on the ship. We knew we wouldn't be getting off the ship.

It can be a real "poop hole", if you know what I'm saying. It is very ghetto looking, junk everywhere, people hounding you to buy this and that, homeless people hounding you, etc. Thats as you head in town, I hear the area where Atlantis is isn't bad though.

Very true ... Nassau day is a great day to just stay on board and enjoy your beautiful and empty ship !!

Avoid the Bahamas in the Winter! Very chilly water temperatures. ;)

LuLu

While it's cooler than summer, we have found the winter water temps around Coco Cay to be fine for snorkeling, without a wet suit.

Edited by clarea

What you describe could be many places. Yet we still continue to travel.

We cruised on Carnival out of Charleston to Freeport and Nassau this past January and I would NOT do it again. It was FREEZING and the seas were so rough. There was only 1 day when the upper decks were opened. The rest of the time they were roped off.

Seas were too rough to dock at Freeport so we only got to go to Nassau, which I despised.

This is one of the things I have heard.

We rented a car in Freeport and Nassau.. Freeport doesn't get much love, but we really enjoyed it. The Freeport car rental place warned us about the slow pace of the island, but it was just what we were looking for. We cruised out to Lacayan National Park, saw some wild life and had a huge stretch of beach to ourselves for almost 2 hours. Afterwards we drove over to Bishops for some conch.. Also came across some old NASA buildings from decades ago. Probably two of the best ports for cruisers renting a car for the first time. Flat island....unlike driving in St.Lucia.

I have been to the Bahamas three times, twice in March. The first time we went the pool water was so cold and on Coco Cay the water was too cold for us. In Nassau we did check out the downtown (nothing exciting)We did take a water taxi over to Atlantis to check it out which was neat to see (we later vacationed there) The second time we decided to stay on the ship while everyone was in Nassau and it was great! No one on the boat! Nassau is my least favorite port. I don't like anything about it.

That being said, If I had an opportunity to cruise in January to the Bahamas would I? Yes! It's just not my favorite after visiting the Southern Caribbean.

There are Eastern and Southern itineraries out of Florida- on a variety of cruise lines. Some include a stop in the Bahamas. Half Moon Cay and Coco Cay are great stops in the Bahamas- good beach days.

We like the Bahamas- always go in March or April- and have had good excursions in Nassau and Freeport. (Especially like a day pass at Cable Beach or an excursion to Blue Lagoon-both in Nassau.) In Nassau we don't

stay around the pier and don't go to the Straw Market.

But- there are plenty of itineraries which don't include Nassau or Freeport if those are not desired.

"The Bahamas are in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean, so in the winter, it does get somewhat cool.... If you are into sunning, and not swimming, the weather will be fine...it's more like Florida weather than anything.

Personally, I'd rather be in the Caribbean! I grew up on Atlantic Beaches!!!

We've been to the Bahamas a couple of times and had a nice time. It will most likely be cooler than the Caribbean, but we've been able to snorkel and swim there in winter. Yes, some areas are not so great, but you will find that in many other places in the world.

But, you don't have to even go near the Bahamas if you cruise from Florida, unless you want to. There are all kinds of itineraries, many that skip those islands entirely, or maybe do one day on a cruise line 'island'.

Our favorite itinerary is the Southern Caribbean. It is easier to do from San Juan, though, or on a longer cruise. We've done Eastern and Western routes several times too, all from Florida except one from Galveston. Now that route was cold the first and last days (40's)!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Remember that Nassau and Freeport are not representative of the rest of the Bahamas. I think some cruise ship passengers who stop there only for a few hours must get a certain impression of those two ports. We have had two of the best land vacations ever in lour lives at Great Exuma, Bahamas, in July (yes, it was stinkin' hot, but the water was warm like a bathtub and the prices were great :) ).

I wouldn't want to cruise there but I would take a land vacation in the Bahamas anytime.