Cruising and Ebola

NauticalNelle

Huh? :confused:

When was the last time any of us saw a riding lawnmower being used on a

cruise ship? :D

It is not as impossible to imagine the admittedly small chance for a case of ebola.

The chances of contracting Ebola on a cruise ship are nearly the same as the odds of getting killed by a riding lawn mower on a cruise. Take a golfing excursion while on a cruise and there are legions of riding lawnmowers waiting to run you down.

Wait a moment, where is Chicken Little?

The sky appears to be falling.

It is not as impossible to imagine the admittedly small chance for a case of ebola.

First there were drink smugglers

Next will be lawn mower smugglers

I'm terrified

The airline industry would be ruined far before the cruise industry.

By the way, that "150 people a day" is from the entire land mass of Africa, not from the only three countries involved.

My prediction. ..this thread will get yanked far sooner than any damage to the cruise industry.

No, The OP was correct. 150 people a day from the 3 affected countries not the entire continent. http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/cdc-150-people-enter-us-day-ebola-stricken-countries-or-4500-month

Realistically, since there have been more cases in the U.S then on a cruise ship you could make the argument that you are safer at sea....... :)

The best ever mental image I have conjured up from a CC post!!!

Is anyone else afraid that it is only a matter of time before the first case of ebola breaks out on a ship and that is the end of the cruise industry?

Since the US is welcoming 150 travelers a day from W. Africa with open arms, it is only a matter of time before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I'm terrified! :eek:

1 w/ this, we r a floating Is + dead... If the cdc has probs. on land, forget the water. I leave 4 a crs in nov. + may. great... re-think?

1 w/ this, we r a floating Is + dead... If the cdc has probs. on land, forget the water. I leave 4 a crs in nov. + may. great... re-think?

I know it is my personal failing but could you please translate this? :D

I have no idea what you are saying. :eek: :o

Thank you.

Does it change anyone's thinking that today it was announced a second nurse who cared for Ebola patient, Mr. Dunken, in Texas has been diagnosed with Ebola.

Apparently she had not been quarantined for the 21 day incubation period despite knowing her colleague, another nurse, was ill with Ebola and they followed the same protocol for the same patient's care.

The day before she reported symptoms, she flew Frontier Air from Cleveland to Dallas with 132 other passengers. Those passengers are now being told to report to CDC.

Did she have mild muscle aches the day she flew that she brushed off, did she have a small headache she hardly noticed, did she use a restroom, did she sneeze near/toward another passenger? Was she already contagious? This flight was less than a full day prior to reporting ill.

I'm watching this with interest.

My understanding is that the viral load is only high enough for contagion when the patient is significantly unwell - vomiting etc - and that someone needs to come into contact with those viral laden bodily fluids.

I am reassured that those who came into contact with Mr Duncan prior to his hospitalization haven't been diagnosed with Ebola so far - it's the nurses who treated him in his final, viral laden stages.

My gut feel is that those who shared a plane with this latest nurse will be fine - the virus wasn't advanced enough to be contagious nor was she in a state to be spreading it (ie vomiting, bleeding etc). As I told one of my sons, Ebola has been around since before I was born and it hasn't killed everyone in the western world yet.

But as I said, I'm watching it with interest as we are booked to fly to America in Dec with our three sons. I'll feel a lot more confident about our travel if no one from the flight gets sick from that contact.

In a word, no, at least not for me.

Ditto - I'll start worrying when those on the flight with that 2nd nurse wind up with it. Although, sucks to be that airline, worst free publicity ever!![emoji45]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Sorry I find this thread after posting a question today on the thread

of the cruise I am taking in april 2015. I don't think my worry is

about the spread of EBLOA on a ship. It's about the whole economy

as a whole. The CDC is constantly changing its story about EBOLA

care. And the fact the second nurse who treated Duncan was on a

plane the day before. They recirculate the air on planes. Airline

stocks as a whole are dropping today as is the DOW at least its down

now maybe it will go higher before the day is out. I am mad that

they allowed the nurse to travel on planes after one of there own

got sick. I am mad that the CDC blamed the nurse when they

did not have access to best equipment. I am upset that they keep

stating one only has to measure temperature to see if one is sick

the WHO which did a study in Africa stated that over 12% of Ebola

patients never have a fever. I am sorry but our officials to busy

with covering their asses to really keep the public honestly informed

and they expect us to listen. When are they going to get serious

about this thing or do they really care. Agian it will be the panic

that results from all this constant lying about it that may destroy

our economy than the disease.

More than 500 Americans are killed every year by riding lawnmowers. Thousands more are injured by the same machines.

This is a serious threat.

What are the cruise lines doing about it?

Agree with you wholeheartedly -

Ever since Celebrity began having live grass on their ships, I figured it was only a matter of time . . . :eek:

And that's not even taking into consideration all those nasty croquet "accidents" (have always been suspicious of those clubs).

By the way the second nurse had a fever before she boarded the plane!

Again the CDC protocols a dollar short and a day late. I hope they do

a better job monitoring the 132 passengers and who they come into

contact with than what they have done so far.

Sorry I find this thread after posting a question today on the thread

of the cruise I am taking in april 2015. I don't think my worry is

about the spread of EBLOA on a ship. It's about the whole economy

as a whole. The CDC is constantly changing its story about EBOLA

care. And the fact the second nurse who treated Duncan was on a

plane the day before. They recirculate the air on planes. Airline

stocks as a whole are dropping today as is the DOW at least its down

now maybe it will go higher before the day is out. I am mad that

they allowed the nurse to travel on planes after one of there own

got sick. I am mad that the CDC blamed the nurse when they

did not have access to best equipment. I am upset that they keep

stating one only has to measure temperature to see if one is sick

the WHO which did a study in Africa stated that over 12% of Ebola

patients never have a fever. I am sorry but our officials to busy

with covering their asses to really keep the public honestly informed

and they expect us to listen. When are they going to get serious

about this thing or do they really care. Agian it will be the panic

that results from all this constant lying about it that may destroy

our economy than the disease.

I'm going to be honest - CDC / Government don't care and probably never will especially condidering the locations that it occurred -Africa & Texas. Not too many native West Africans go back and front constantly between the US and there. Regarding Texas; they don't relied on public transportation like NYC; in other words, the CDC got luck it happen in Dallas and there - the moment its found out the infected rode the subway, it will be definitely be mass hysteria for a good reason. Ebola is hard to clean up and can live on surfaces for weeks - subways are rarely cleaned up of trashed during the day, let alone bars and seats scrubbed down; that automatically hundreds, maybe thousands of people sick right there if that was to happen. Count the lucky stars that not more people are sick with it here in the States, and pay attention to here its happening.

I'm going to be honest - CDC / Government don't care and probably never will especially condidering the locations that it occurred -Africa & Texas. Not too many native West Africans go back and front constantly between the US and there. Regarding Texas; they don't relied on public transportation like NYC; in other words, the CDC got luck it happen in Dallas and there - the moment its found out the infected rode the subway, it will be definitely be mass hysteria for a good reason. Ebola is hard to clean up and can live on surfaces for weeks - subways are rarely cleaned up of trashed during the day, let alone bars and seats scrubbed down; that automatically hundreds, maybe thousands of people sick right there if that was to happen. Count the lucky stars that not more people are sick with it here in the States, and pay attention to here its happening.

I think your correct the nurses here asked for proper covering and I think

even as this morning they did not get. And Texas ( I live in Texas) has

a bunch of diseases coming across the border we do not screen the kids

at least that is what I have been told. We have a lot of sick border agents

and I assume that the new viruses that are killing a few children and

causing other problems came from our open border. I have been told

we even have captured a few ISIS people. The s..t will hit the fan

when an infected with EBOLA ISIS person will cross our border and

then travel to New York to do the deed you fear.

I don't know what to think. I read that many of our elites think there are

to many people on our planet. So maybe they have a vaccine and they

are just waiting for the masses to die. I really don't know but whatever

they are sure blotching the threat so far as the citizens are concerned.

Here is how this affects cruising. Just today in St Lucia they are banning people because of the EBOLA fear.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CB_ST_LUCIA_EBOLA_TRAVEL_BAN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-15-16-40-51

Just wait if a few more people get it in the USA say from the flight the

second nurse took while with a fever. Many small nations could ban

cruise ships that visit US ports. You may say that there banning is

a dumb idea. But they might actually care about their own people.

They realize the US as so far only made a token effort to stop the

spread in the US so it would be the smart thing for them to do. They

are not as willing as the US to see there own people die.

This is my last post. But I can see more island nations banning us.

Flight 1143, on which the woman flew from Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth, was the last trip of the day Monday for the Airbus A320. But Tuesday morning the plane was flown back to Cleveland and then to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., back to Cleveland and then to Atlanta and finally back to Cleveland again, according to Daniel Baker, chief executive of the flight-monitoring site Flightaware.com.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-frontier-airline-ebola-patient-20141015-story.html

So its not beyond the realm of fiction one of these passengers has EBOLA and is on a cruise ship. Out of Fort Lauderdale. I am saying the very fact she was

able to fly on the plane was a major mistake by the CDC I doubt yet they really

care or have learned there lesson but lets hope that no one on any cruise ship

that was on the plane is carrying the virus because even if only a dozen people on a cruise ship from fort lauderdale gets ebola its over for the

cruise industry by the end of the year. To be safe no one those flights should

be allowed on a cruise ship for the next month. Give them there money back.

People are basing there assumptions on past ebola outbreaks. Yes it is/was hard to catch but this strain seems different. If you go back and study the outbreak which started in Dec 2013 you will see that the number of cases has steadily doubled every month. Really, almost no variation in this rate. This has never been the case in the past.

As of October 8 there are 8,000 cases. Unless something changes there will be 250,000 cases by March and 1 million by May 2015.

It is hard to believe this strain is the hard-to-catch version of past outbreaks. Now a second nurse in Dallas has contracted the disease even though, like the first nurse, they were wearing full protection. She also flew to Clev. and back shortly before she had full symptoms.

Maybe things will change but if this really is highly contagious I can think of nothing worse than a employe living in close quarters having ebloa. Because it takes 21 days to show the symptoms it would be a disaster. Are you going to quarantine 5,000 on a ship?

I'm hoping things change and maybe they will. But it is naive to say, it is not a potential issue. The facts are that cases have steadily doubled without variation for almost a year and continue to grow at that rate to this day.

People are basing there assumptions on past ebola outbreaks. Yes it is/was hard to catch but this strain seems different. If you go back and study the outbreak which started in Dec 2013 you will see that the number of cases has steadily doubled every month. Really, almost no variation in this rate. This has never been the case in the past.

As of October 8 there are 8,000 cases. Unless something changes there will be 250,000 cases by March and 1 million by May 2015.

It is hard to believe this strain is the hard-to-catch version of past outbreaks. Now a second nurse in Dallas has contracted the disease even though, like the first nurse, they were wearing full protection. She also flew to Clev. and back shortly before she had full symptoms.

Maybe things will change but if this really is highly contagious I can think of nothing worse than a employe living in close quarters having ebloa. Because it takes 21 days to show the symptoms it would be a disaster. Are you going to quarantine 5,000 on a ship?

I'm hoping things change and maybe they will. But it is naive to say, it is not a potential issue. The facts are that cases have steadily doubled without variation for almost a year and continue to grow at that rate to this day.

Very interesting and worrisome if this is the case.

I wonder though why none of the people living in the small apartment with Mr. Duncan who have been quarantined have become ill? They are coming close to the 21 outside incubation time window.

I don't like it but I doubt I am in more danger on a cruise ship right at home. why do we have this fear. Because the hospital in Texas did not have proper protective gear to wear when caring for an Ebola patient, not only that they sent him hoe when he showed up at their emergency room and then he was returned 2 days later by ambulance. Now 2 nurses from that hospital has it and one was stupid enough to fly even though she knew she was being watched for the virus symptoms for 21 days. people not doing what they know should be done. Now they are transferring one nurse to Emory in Atlanta. At least Emory did not let the virus get out when they treated the doctor there. But still it worries me a bit as I know a woman who is a nurse there. Suppose Emory makes some of the same mistakes,and even though I may not see this friend, we do have mutual friends. I will be honest after the Texas hospital goof ups that is a bigger worry for me right now. Next month's cruise is not a worry for me,unless a healthcare worker from that Texas hospital is on it.

What is your source? Mine is the following:

" Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours"

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Correction - its days not weeks - here's Huffington article with a quick recap with links to National Center for Biotechnology Information:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/02/ebola-symptoms-infection-virus_n_5639456.html

And here's the World Health Organization FAQ info of Ebola (and have been more in front of the fight against the disease than CDC):

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/

And here's Express UK article on Ebola which explains more than the American media:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/523012/Ebola-virus-explained

Would you like me to pull up more articles?

Edited by maywell

Does it change anyone's thinking that today it was announced a second nurse who cared for Ebola patient, Mr. Dunken, in Texas has been diagnosed with Ebola.

Apparently she had not been quarantined for the 21 day incubation period despite knowing her colleague, another nurse, was ill with Ebola and they followed the same protocol for the same patient's care.

The day before she reported symptoms, she flew Frontier Air from Cleveland to Dallas with 132 other passengers. Those passengers are now being told to report to CDC.

Did she have mild muscle aches the day she flew that she brushed off, did she have a small headache she hardly noticed, did she use a restroom, did she sneeze near/toward another passenger? Was she already contagious? This flight was less than a full day prior to reporting ill.

She had a fever of 99.5 and traveled anyhow. There is a law that basically says if you are HIV positive and participate in activities which could infect another without giving them warning of your status, you are guilty of a crime. It seems the same law should apply in this situation.