Antarctica Question

forgap

I am thinking that a future cruise destination should be Antarctica. I realize that this destination is not on the Regent map, but my impression is that Regent passengers are a well-traveled lot who could point us in the right direction for the "Regent" experience on another cruise line. Does anyone have any ideas? As always, I appreciate your advice!

Three types of Antarctica cruises---

Larger ships "drive-by", sight-seeing and photographing....Oceania did, not sure they are now. Holland America, Celebrity, probably others.

Small hardcore expedition ship---different character from Regent cruise. Large dining tables with less time and seating options, minimal entertainment, no exercise walking areas, etc. Two landings per day in zodiacs, with group meetings and briefings on the schedule. Silversea is the only luxury line providing in this category...and excellent if that style is your preference.

We chose the "middle way"---Seabourn Quest....kind of "expedition-lite". Larger, more what we were used to for dining, exercise, entertainment, dancing, etc. One zodiac landing per day, with excellent expedition team (leader came over from Silversea).

Of over thirty cruises enjoyed, our 2013 Christmas cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia Island ranks as our most memorable and favorite. And, Seabourn now shares our attention for future planning with Regent....excellent.

We went to Antarctica on Regent, they chartered a ship for the adventure but I expect they will go to the 7th continent with its new explorer ship. Lindblad National Geographic would be a good experience, also.

DO NOT just do a cruise-by, we had several landings. You'll LOVE it.

If one is looking for a FANTASTIC cruise to Antarctica, then check out Abercrombie and Kent, easily the best trip of my life and looking forward to doing it again. It is true luxury every step of the way and the guides were amazing. I spent a great deal of time researching my options and I believe that A&K went above and beyond anything that I expected.

http://www.abercrombiekent.com/travel-destinations/antarctica-cruise/

gnomie :)

No question A&K, National Geographic, and Silversea have excellent reputations and provide true expedition adventures in Antarctica.

The question is simply the style of vacation one is seeking. We wanted our usual cruise experience, which we so totally enjoy---dining options, multiple bars and social areas, decks for exercise walking, entertainment and dancing, etc. The expedition ship option sounded wonderful for the explorations, but seemed a bit more of a "field trip" than we wanted. The Seabourn worked for us as a compromise.

One aside--in spite of it's name, I doubt the Explorer will be hull rated for ice and have zodiac option. Were it to go to Antarctica, I think it would likely just be a drive-by.

We made the expedition with A&K, but both they and Tauck use the Le Ponant ships (Le Boreal, Le Austral, ...) which are the most luxurious ships traveling to Antarctica. 200 pax, so below the drive-by limit and all cabins with verandas which you might think are unimportant for Antarctica, but you'd be wrong.

The A&K expedition was magnificent and we also went with them to the Arctic, both on Le Boreal.

Thank you for all the responses. It's interesting that I stumbled upon Ponant today and it does look like an interesting option. My husband is French so this may help him warm up to the idea as his initial response when I floated the destination was decidedly unenthusiastic! We are aging boomers (well at least I am - he's older) but fit. This seems to be a cruise do do before we start to freeze up.

Thank you for all the responses. It's interesting that I stumbled upon Ponant today and it does look like an interesting option. My husband is French so this may help him warm up to the idea as his initial response when I floated the destination was decidedly unenthusiastic! We are aging boomers (well at least I am - he's older) but fit. This seems to be a cruise do do before we start to freeze up.

Just to be clear, I'm recommending A&K or Tauck which use the Ponant ship's...not the expeditions that Ponant runs itself. A&K brings in its own expedition team (16 or so) who are extremely well credentialed as naturalists, historians, ice captains, etc. Hard for us to imagine a better team.

The Ponant crew run the ship (very well), but the A&K team run the expedition.

Edited by Portolan

We did Le Boreal to Antarctica (not with a group like Tauck, A & K) Even though there were a couple tour groups on board (including Tauck) the naturalist, etc were all Le Boreal crew. It was a great cruise and we got several landings and still had a luxury cruise experience when we got back on board. I have written a member review on cruise critic. I believe we were the only English speaking people on board that were not with Tauck but we had no difficulties and all the naturalists spoke English (for several this was their first language)

Ten years ago we took trip to Antartica. It was on a ship chartered by our reliable favorite Regent. It was on a ship called Explorer 2 and the expedition team was -Abercrombie and Kent. It was one of our most memorable cruises though the accommodations were modest. There were two hundred onboard with with 2 landings a day.

We have decided it is time to return. We are booked on Seabourn for January 2015. The landings will be once a day but the living will be luxurious.

I was not eager to go the first time but it was on DH 's wish list. Now knowing how magnificent it is we are both looking forward to our return.

It is a adventure not to be missed if you enjoy nature. A benefit of the Seabourn cruise is it includes the coast of Chile.

Because, as pointed out, they are just a group on a Ponant expedition. A&K charters the entire ship so there are not any sub groups. The quality of the A&K expedition team was illustrated by the fact that every visitor to South Georgia Island gets a package of information ("free" with the port fees the ship is paying) including a very nice history booklet...written, as it turned out, by the historian on our expedition team.

We made the expedition with A&K, but both they and Tauck use the Le Ponant ships (Le Boreal, Le Austral, ...) which are the most luxurious ships traveling to Antarctica. 200 pax, so below the drive-by limit and all cabins with verandas which you might think are unimportant for Antarctica, but you'd be wrong.

The A&K expedition was magnificent and we also went with them to the Arctic, both on Le Boreal.

Agree...

Yes,you do need a balcony if possible.we had one and it was the best balcony experience on all our trips.they are not just there for sunbathing! Any sudden appearance of anything spectacular,and you are there straight away. We woke up one morning to see a tiny bird sitting on our balcony rail.it was the middle of our 5 days in Antarctica.he was so tired,he barely moved. He stayed for 24 hrs then continued on his way.

We've booked the Seabourn Quest for this holiday season's Antarctica-South Georgia cruise, with a possible six days to explore the 7th continent, our final one! Also give us a chance to try Seabourn's newer ships, which we've long wanted to do. Only 100 can go ashore in Antarctica at a time, so they will divide us into groups for the shore excursions. If I am able to get ashore half the times, I'll be happy:).

If you are looking for a "real" Antarctic? experience, Lindblad - National Geographic is the way to go. If you're looking for a more "upscale" experience whicn incorporates all Lindlad qualities, check out National Geographic Orion. Caution - it may be more expensive than other upscale lines, all things considered.

Edited by hrprof