Do the buffets close?

khrivnak

My family definitely like Royals buffet over Carnivals any day! We were on the Liberty Sept 21st they did have afternoon snacks on the buffet with salads, and lots of different choices. They did close completely between 5 and 6:30 to get dinner ready.

. . . the cafe promenade has mini sandwiches, cookies and (mediocre) pizza 24 hours.

I've never been on the grandeur, but there are some great recent threads about this ship.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

The Grandeur has a Park Cafe. It is not open 24 hrs. There is no Promenade [or Cafe Promenade] on this ship.

so what are the differences between Royal and Carnival that would make me pay the slightly higher rate? Id probably be doing the Grandeur out of Baltimore as its closest to my house. If they are relatively the same, I may stick to Carnival, but would love to hear some opinions on what's better on RCI.

You do have to pay more on RCCL. For us, the difference is enough to pay the extra price. Both of our Carnival cruises left me wondering if I hated cruising or needed to try something different. Now, granted I haven't been on Carnival in 10 years. I have been on both the Pride and Valor. I hated the Valor. Our dining area was in the aft of the ship. The only way to get to it was go up two floors, aft, then down two floors. When dinner let out, the entire (half) of the dining room was in a small area waiting for either elevators or people to move so you could climb the stairs. Embarkation and disembarkation on both ships could test your patience. They shut down all the elevators with the exception of the forward ones. We wondered why they weren't moving so drug our luggage down the stairs. Ah. The elevators won't go anywhere when there is no where for the passengers to get off. Then they shut down self disembark to switch to traditional. That meant if you hadn't gotten off yet, you were stuck while they took off all the luggage. We were on the gangway when they stopped us. So there we stood for 45 minutes waiting for them to get all the bags off. I have to admit the self disembark thing was new then so hopefully they improved.

The layout of the buffet area on RCCL ships is much better laid out to flow better. I thought the buffet food better on RCCL. I thought the food on Carnival's MDR was good but I thought RCCL was just as good. Some people don't seem to think so. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled with the menu changes on RCCL, but I have to say that Carnival adding macaroni and cheese or fried chicken just stooping a little out of bounds. I can get that at Popeye's Chicken. I think the ships are way more beautiful on the RCCL ships. I have heard the Dream has less screaming neon and loud colors.

Both Carnival cruises, I was appalled at the way the pax treated the staff. On each cruise I saw many passengers scream obscenities to the staff for some perceived wrong. One guy's wife got out of the pool and slipped. He went on and on for at least 5 minutes with about every other word starting with an F about how the staff was not doing their job. What did he want? A staff member to pick princess up out of the pool and carry her to her pool lounge?? And the kids. Oh dear Lord!! You didn't want to get anywhere near the pool to lounge as you would be thoroughly soaked. No one was watching their kids.

Anyway. You will never know if you will like the product without trying it. That is why there are so many cruise lines. Each is slightly different in order to try to get your dollars. Some are balcony snobs (us except we are in the Ben & Jerry Sweet promenade room next), and others don't care as long as there is a bed. I've never been to Ruth's Chris steakhouse but have visited the Stockyards in Nashville. Was it expensive? Yes. Was it worth that much more than a Sizzler steak? Yes, I think so.

I have to agree with lots of the others here.

I have only taken one Carnival cruise, and while it's impossible not to have a great time on any cruise, I SO much prefer Royal! There are many options, and the layout of the buffet is much better. The Royal ships I've been on had islands as opposed to the huge, long, long, yes, your food is going to be super-cold by the time you get through the line, lines). By the third day of my Carnival cruise the reheated baked potatoes actually imploded. Ugh!

Having cruised both lines equally and recently, (IMO only:p) that I loved the Carnival 2.0 upgrades, on return late afternoon from the port.

Otherwise, I do feel the cruise lines are pretty much on par time wise on buffet opening/closing times......again just my opinion ;)

Edited by ladylikes2cruise

You will always find something to eat pretty much 24 hours a day, but if you are looking for a full lunch buffet at 4pm, it would be unlikely. Sometimes you have to adjust. For example, I wake up early, usually between 4am and 4:30. Would I like the full buffet breakfast available at 4am? Of course, but I satisfy myself with a danish or something and then head to the full buffet at 6am.

I would not stop cruising because "I don't pay all that money to eat danish". I simply adjust to what is offered.

What is an American Table menu? Whats on it?

Southern Fried chicken is one (which IMO is God awful). I know they have some ships that have "For the table" dishes, where they bring out a giant bowl of, say, mashed potatoes and everyone can scoop from that bowl and fill their own plate and the staff will just replenish the big bowl when that is empty. I havent experienced that because I do Anytime dining. I think that is more prevalent on Your Time Dining (specific dining times).

Again, food is not my deal breaker (LOL @ danish at 4 am). It was an experience on my last cruise that I didnt care for, hauling a "momma I'm hungryyyyy" child through a buffet with "Sorry, buffet closed" room at 3 pm. Im not bashing Carnival, all in all I love cruising and I enjoy Carnival for the most part. Im just looking for comparisons. I'm not a 500 pound woman looking to be rolled onto a cruise ship and parked in front of the Lido buffet... :D

They close sections of it and convert to afternoon tea

Unfortunately Grandeur, and Enchantment while it was in Baltimore, don't have afternoon snacks. They do close the buffet completely from 3-6 or 6:30 when it opens for supper. While I like Park Café I'd love for it to be open 3-4:30 or 5. I sometimes eat a late breakfast and would rather eat something from the wj at 4:30 and not eat supper.

You do have to pay more on RCCL. For us, the difference is enough to pay the extra price. Both of our Carnival cruises left me wondering if I hated cruising or needed to try something different. Now, granted I haven't been on Carnival in 10 years. I have been on both the Pride and Valor. I hated the Valor. Our dining area was in the aft of the ship. The only way to get to it was go up two floors, aft, then down two floors. When dinner let out, the entire (half) of the dining room was in a small area waiting for either elevators or people to move so you could climb the stairs. Embarkation and disembarkation on both ships could test your patience. They shut down all the elevators with the exception of the forward ones. We wondered why they weren't moving so drug our luggage down the stairs. Ah. The elevators won't go anywhere when there is no where for the passengers to get off. Then they shut down self disembark to switch to traditional. That meant if you hadn't gotten off yet, you were stuck while they took off all the luggage. We were on the gangway when they stopped us. So there we stood for 45 minutes waiting for them to get all the bags off. I have to admit the self disembark thing was new then so hopefully they improved.

The layout of the buffet area on RCCL ships is much better laid out to flow better. I thought the buffet food better on RCCL. I thought the food on Carnival's MDR was good but I thought RCCL was just as good. Some people don't seem to think so. I know a lot of people aren't thrilled with the menu changes on RCCL, but I have to say that Carnival adding macaroni and cheese or fried chicken just stooping a little out of bounds. I can get that at Popeye's Chicken. I think the ships are way more beautiful on the RCCL ships. I have heard the Dream has less screaming neon and loud colors.

Both Carnival cruises, I was appalled at the way the pax treated the staff. On each cruise I saw many passengers scream obscenities to the staff for some perceived wrong. One guy's wife got out of the pool and slipped. He went on and on for at least 5 minutes with about every other word starting with an F about how the staff was not doing their job. What did he want? A staff member to pick princess up out of the pool and carry her to her pool lounge?? And the kids. Oh dear Lord!! You didn't want to get anywhere near the pool to lounge as you would be thoroughly soaked. No one was watching their kids.

Anyway. You will never know if you will like the product without trying it. That is why there are so many cruise lines. Each is slightly different in order to try to get your dollars. Some are balcony snobs (us except we are in the Ben & Jerry Sweet promenade room next), and others don't care as long as there is a bed. I've never been to Ruth's Chris steakhouse but have visited the Stockyards in Nashville. Was it expensive? Yes. Was it worth that much more than a Sizzler steak? Yes, I think so.

Liked your post. I have had a very similar experience on my last two Carnival cruises, that really turned me off to Carnival. (Not exactly the same, but very similar). RCCL offers a different cruise experience for each class of ship, and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

I'm not sure about what the original poster really wants. If they are looking for justification for paying more money, based on whether their kids could eat at 3:00? When my kids were young, they ate when I ate, and that is morning noon and evening. If they were hungry, they could always find a "snack" on the ship. There is a much bigger picture here, on which cruise line to chose, and until one tries it, they won't know.

Liked your post. I have had a very similar experience on my last two Carnival cruises, that really turned me off to Carnival. (Not exactly the same, but very similar). RCCL offers a different cruise experience for each class of ship, and I haven't had a bad experience yet.

I'm not sure about what the original poster really wants. If they are looking for justification for paying more money, based on whether their kids could eat at 3:00? When my kids were young, they ate when I ate, and that is morning noon and evening. If they were hungry, they could always find a "snack" on the ship. There is a much bigger picture here, on which cruise line to chose, and until one tries it, they won't know.

OP is irritated that their kids eat Breakfast at 10am and lunch at 3pm and there is no full service buffet open to accommodate their kids later eating times.

They don't particularly want to sail Carnival again because they have the audacity to close the Buffet when their kids want their 3pm lunch.

They want to know if Royal will accommodate their 3pm lunches with a full service buffet. If they will then they will pay more to sail Royal.

My kid is also not a breakfast eater. If he doesn't get up early and eat Breakfast I have no worries what so ever that he will go hungry on a cruise.

There is always some where to grab some food or the last alternative is room service. If he doesn't like what's offered when the buffet is closed then he needs to eat within the appropriate times. It's as simple as that.

I think they are looking for a cruise line that will offer a 24 hour full service buffet.

OP is irritated that their kids eat Breakfast at 10am and lunch at 3pm and there is no full service buffet open to accommodate their kids later eating times.

They don't particularly want to sail Carnival again because they have the audacity to close the Buffet when their kids want their 3pm lunch.

They want to know if Royal will accommodate their 3pm lunches with a full service buffet. If they will then they will pay more to sail Royal.

Thats what you got out of my post? :rolleyes:

I think I'm done here lol. My post was simply asking if Royal had the 24 hour buffets as I've cruised twice and was told some cruise lines had that. in short, the answer was no.

Thanks to the posters with the helpful answers. I'll mosey on back over to the Carnival forum. Enjoy your cruising!

Thats what you got out of my post? :rolleyes:

I think I'm done here lol. My post was simply asking if Royal had the 24 hour buffets as I've cruised twice and was told some cruise lines had that. in short, the answer was no.

Thanks to the posters with the helpful answers. I'll mosey on back over to the Carnival forum. Enjoy your cruising!

Your post(s) consisted of many negative comments about the buffet being closed. That seems like your biggest beef! It's not just what I got out of your posting, its what you stated.

"I attempted to eat on Lido at one of the buffets, it was closed for one reason or another. At one point at 3 pm, I went to feed my kids and all the buffets were closed, only option was Guys Burgers, Taco Bar or Pizza. Unacceptable to me."

"Its not that it's closed "for a few minutes". I completely understand a buffet needs to close between breakfast and lunch, etc. "

" The buffets werent closed at 3 "for a few minutes". They reopened at 6 pm, when Guy's Burgers closed. I didnt pay a couple grand for a vacation to feed my kids burgers LOL."