CB mattresses. How are they?

Mary Ellen1

Hi there. Cruising on the CB in 11 days. I've found the Princess beds to be really hard in the past, and always requested an eggcrate mattress topper, which was usually in place when I boarded (not always).

Has the CB been updated with the new pillow-top mattresses yet, ship-wide? If not, can you put in a pre-cruise request to get one? Or can you only pre-request the eggcrates? And what's the best method of contact for that -- phone, fax, email?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & recommendations.

Hi there. Cruising on the CB in 11 days. I've found the Princess beds to be really hard in the past, and always requested an eggcrate mattress topper, which was usually in place when I boarded (not always).

Has the CB been updated with the new pillow-top mattresses yet, ship-wide? If not, can you put in a pre-cruise request to get one? Or can you only pre-request the eggcrates? And what's the best method of contact for that -- phone, fax, email?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & recommendations.

They're being changed as needed on CB. Some staterooms have the new ones, some don't.

I was in a crime deck balcony cabin (C206) for 12 nights at the beginning of September and found the beds rather firmer than I prefer. I do not think it was a pillow top mattress. I have requested a egg rate topper for my upcoming 14 nights onboard, again in a Caribe deck balcony (C108 this time). While the new room could have an upgraded mattress I'd rather request the topper than not sleep as comfortably as I'd prefer.

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Caribbean Princess (the sailing that departed from Ft. Lauderdale on Aug. 28, 2014) in a standard balcony cabin (A526). I don't usually have a problem with mattresses on cruise ships, but this mattress was not good (similar to a thin mattress on a rollaway bed). However, I liked the cabin overall and really enjoyed the cruise.

Chuck

Thanks, all, for the specific & recent experiences. I appreciate it! Looks like ordering an eggcrate mattress topper is the way to go... What's the best method for that? Fax? Phone call?

Thanks.

we grabbed our cabin steward the minute we boarded and asked for one. Our bed was very hard and we were happy we got one; they have limited numbers.

I was in a crime deck balcony cabin (C206) for 12 nights at the beginning of September and found the beds rather firmer than I prefer.

When you are on a prison ship, you really can't expect to be catered to with creature comforts.[emoji6]

Thanks, all, for the specific & recent experiences. I appreciate it! Looks like ordering an eggcrate mattress topper is the way to go... What's the best method for that? Fax? Phone call?

Thanks.

Just call Princess reservations and ask them to add t into then pencil service section of your booking. If they tell you that your sailing is "sold out" for them do not fret too much. There are more on the ship than Princess reservations can book. I do suggest going immediately to your cabin and if it's not there (or you can't pre book) you find your cabin steward and kindly ask them. Sometimes a little extra "nicene$$" will help :D

Just recently we had a lousy mattress. If we were going to sail on the ship for a long period of time I would have requested a change but for 9 days it was just so-so.

You really mean it was a lousy mattress?

And you tolerated the bites for 9 days?

I guess it depends what you are used to but 1 louse is too many for me.

My husband and I will never agree on the Princess mattress. He need a firm mattress and I need something much softer. Thank goodness for our sleep number bed. The best thing for us is a firm bed with a eggcrate mattress on my side.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last month. The bed on our "crime" deck, C738 was horrible. It took 2 egg crates before I could sleep and I ended up buying a pillow in port because everything they had was so hard.

If you sat on my DHs side of the bed the mattress felt broken but he was able to sleep ok so we didn't ask to have it replaced.

I have never called to ask for a topper, I just ask the steward when we meet him the first day.

Once on the Ruby one side of the bed was very saggy so I thought, well, I'll just flip it and see if it's better. Bad idea! Never, never look under the mattress cover. Ugh! Anyway, we found a bunch of towels under the mattress - someone else's attempt to fix the mattress. That time we asked for a new mattress and were able to get a newer old mattress but it was good enough.

Hmmm I was told they no longer are offering the egg crate toppers before our sailing on CB. Not just that ship, but Princess all around.

But we didn't have any worries. Our mattresses were wonderful in R407. I have major back issues and I never had any issues with it on the ship.

However at home out mattress that is memory foam has developed alzhiemers and we just ordered a new one this week as I am barely able to walk each morning with how bad that is. :rolleyes:

Also, just returned from the Oct.4th CB cruise. I, too have back issues and I had no trouble at all sleeping. I sleep on a hard mattress at home, and I felt the mattress and the two pillows were just fine. We were in C510.

Also, just returned from the Oct.4th CB cruise. I, too have back issues and I had no trouble at all sleeping. I sleep on a hard mattress at home, and I felt the mattress and the two pillows were just fine. We were in C510.

Was it one of the new mattresses, or an old one? I'm asking because we are in C509 next March and I will switch our cabin to C510 if I know that the mattress will be one of the new pillow tops. A hard mattress doen't bother me, I just can't handle one with dips and bumps.

Just off the CP on Oct. 11 and our cabin was C714, had a wonderful cruise but thought the bed was uncomfortable and the pillows even worse. Asked for another pillow and still no better. Looking back wish I had asked for an egg crate which I have done in the past and made it a whole lot better. You could wait and see how it is and if it is not to your liking ask for the crate!

It's amazing that Princess is so short-sighted as to not realize that a comfortable mattress goes a long way to the total enjoyment of a cruise. So what if you've seen great places, if you have had a miserable night's sleep? If the mattresses are as bad as what's being reported here, an investment in better mattresses should be Princess' first priority.