Transatlantic AT&T Passport Cruise Ship Package??

aslaw

We are on the transatlantic Liberty of the Seas sailing October 26. With a few day left, we are exploring options with regard to internet while on board. We are considering using AT&T Passport Ship Package. It works only in international waters. For $120, you get 50 minutes of talk, 100 text messages and 100 MB data. If you exclude data and/or messaging, the cost is less. Has anyone used this?? AT&T calls it "cellular at sea." The ATT international agent assured me that there would be coverage in the middle of the Atlantic. The alternative is to purchase internet through Royal. Does anyone have pros and cons? We would not be using the internet extensively -- just to stay in touch with family and friends and would not exceed the AT&T limits.

I have posted a similar message on the roll call, but thought there may be a broader knowledge base on the Royal site.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Have used it numerous times in the Caribbean and Atlantic and worked fine. All the incoming text are free if you have unlimited text package on your base plan. Just make sure that you only use it with the "Cellular at Sea". When you get close to land you could pick up another carrier that is not included. Would also recommend you put your phone on "Do not Disturb" when not calling and turn off cellular data when not using the data. The reason is that an incoming call will go towards your minutes whether you answer it or not and your phone has apps that pings data automatically which will gobble up your data unbeknown to you.

The other options is to put your phone in the same settings above, not get the plan, and have all income text free and outbound messages .50 each.

We are on the transatlantic Liberty of the Seas sailing October 26. With a few day left, we are exploring options with regard to internet while on board. We are considering using AT&T Passport Ship Package. It works only in international waters. For $120, you get 50 minutes of talk, 100 text messages and 100 MB data. If you exclude data and/or messaging, the cost is less. Has anyone used this?? AT&T calls it "cellular at sea." The ATT international agent assured me that there would be coverage in the middle of the Atlantic. The alternative is to purchase internet through Royal. Does anyone have pros and cons? We would not be using the internet extensively -- just to stay in touch with family and friends and would not exceed the AT&T limits.

I have posted a similar message on the roll call, but thought there may be a broader knowledge base on the Royal site.

Thanks for any input you can share.

I don’t think this is really going to address the internet issue. The only way you are going to get on the internet at sea IS through the ship, so you’re going to be paying for that anyway, on top of your $120 pacakage. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve done four TAs and this has always been the way it worked for me. You will pay for TIME through the ship’s internet, not MB of data. So you learn to access it at certain times of day when there is little demand in order to have a faster response.

In my opinion the $120 package is unnecessary. Just turn the global data off on your phone and pay 50c to send a text and 5c to receive one (no internet charges). If you turn off the data, you won’t get someone texting you a picture that uses up a lot of data that you will find on your phone bill when you get home. But I’m pretty sure you’re going to have to buy an internet plan through the ship in order to get on the internet.

The internet data would work off the same satellite as the phone and text messages are sent and received.

You still have to pay for the ship's internet though, don't you, in addition to the AT&T package? I have never bought a package and I texted all the time - no internet charges, just 50c (or 5c) each on my next phone bill. But in order to access the internet itself, I had to purchase minutes from the ship. Did not need to purchase any internet data from the phone company on top of that.

I've used the ATT plan on my last 5 cruises. I happen to like it because there are certain times I need to make a quick call and do some texts. And the data portion through cellular at sea works well enough that I can get my email downloads and respond to the ones that require responding. I particularly like this because my office exchange email often gets hung up on the ship's internet system and firewalls and won't open. But on my phone it works with no issues. The ships' internet packages aren't cheap either, and this way I get phone and text, too.

Also, the plan *does* cover you on land in the ports with the local carriers in many countries - as long as you have used it while on board and "cellular at sea" is the network. For instance, almost every port in the Caribbean is covered. I have double checked this many times.

Finally, internet in the middle of the atlantic can be spotty (at least it was on my last TA). But since cellular at sea and the ship's internet are using the same satellite, if there's a dead spot, it will be for both.

Edited by MattInFLL

I've used the ATT plan on my last 5 cruises. I happen to like it because there are certain times I need to make a quick call and do some texts. And the data portion through cellular at sea works well enough that I can get my email downloads and respond to the ones that require responding. I particularly like this because my office exchange email often gets hung up on the ship's internet system and firewalls and won't open. But on my phone it works with no issues. The ships' internet packages aren't cheap either, and this way I get phone and text, too.

Also, the plan *does* cover you on land in the ports with the local carriers in many countries - as long as you have used it while on board and "cellular at sea" is the network. For instance, almost every port in the Caribbean is covered. I have double checked this many times.

Finally, internet in the middle of the atlantic can be spotty (at least it was on my last TA). But since cellular at sea and the ship's internet are using the same satellite, if there's a dead spot, it will be for both.

Mine was not covered for any other carrier other than "Cellular at Sea". There are international plans you can get to lower the cost of international calls based upon where you are travelling. For example Mexico is one rate and then "all other". The cruise ship plan only works while on the ship and on the "Cellular at Sea" network.

Good to know while you're on a cruise

Domestic rates apply while aboard a cruise ship only when it's docked or tendered at a U.S. port.

While roaming on the cruise ship, your device will display one of the following: AT&T, 901-18, Cellular at Sea, or NOR-18.

On-ship networks operate only in international waters. Your International Cruise Ship package allowance and overage rates apply only when AT&T, 901-18, Cellular at Sea, or NOR-18 displays on your device. Other international roaming calling, messaging, and data packages don't apply onboard.

The Business Data Global Unlimited plan is no longer available. However, customers who have this plan will receive the discounted international rates on cruise ships.

International Cruise Ship packages only apply on Royal Caribbean International, Azamara Club Cruises, and select Celebrity Cruises ships and don't apply on any other cruise line at this time. Use our Travel Guide to verify service is available on your cruise ship and that your device is compatible.

International Cruise Ship package allowances and overage rates also apply off-ship on land-based cellular networks in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Everywhere else, international roaming calling, messaging, and data usage rates apply both off-ship and aboard a cruise ship when it is docked or tendered at a foreign port. To learn more about our international roaming packages and pay-per-use rates, visit: att.com/global

I have Verizon. My phone is a Samsung galaxy 4. All I want to do is receive texts and send texts. How do I set my phone up so that I don't incur fees other than the 5 cents and 50 cents?

I would go to a Verizon dealer to show you how to do it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I have used it internationally and at sea...worked great for me..and just as recently as my southern caribbean cruise last month..I won't hesitate to cover all my communication bases when I travel...you never know what you might need and when...better safe to have a plan in place than to get a huge cell phone bill.

I have Verizon. My phone is a Samsung galaxy 4. All I want to do is receive texts and send texts. How do I set my phone up so that I don't incur fees other than the 5 cents and 50 cents?

Or call them I am sure they would walk u thru it

We have T-Mobile and are not charged for texting, emailing or data when out of the country (it's part of their regular service). We are charged $.20 per minute for out of country calls. On our recent TA, when we were close to land, we'd pick up signals from whatever carrier was in the country we were coming in to and never charged for roaming either. It was awesome!

International Cruise Ship package allowances and overage rates also apply off-ship on land-based cellular networks in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Everywhere else, international roaming calling, messaging, and data usage rates apply both off-ship and aboard a cruise ship when it is docked or tendered at a foreign port. To learn more about our international roaming packages and pay-per-use rates, visit: att.com/global

I'm not sure what you are talking about? As you yourself quoted (above) the rates apply off ship in port while in the Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. I have used this package on 5 weekend cruises since 8/15 - there have been no additional charges for my calling, texting or data use while in port. And I have no other calling or data plans on my phone.

While now I see it would not work outside of those regions, for many people, like me, it will work just fine in ports.

Edited by MattInFLL

• 3 months later...

I've been researching this topic for 3 nights, and this thread has gotten the closest. But I'm still confused, so I'll post specifics and see if some one can answer.

I was on the Disney Dream last November. Not knowing any better, I purchased connect@sea's 300mb plan once on board. I kept it only on my phone and didn't share with anyone else in our party because I quasi-calculated off normal usage that 300meg might work for me only. And if I added anyone then it would be everyone including phones and iPads. The seoncd night of the cruise iOS 8.1.x was release and it was 286mg. My phone downloaded this and wiped out my wifi allowance overnight. I had to buy the 300MB package over again. I was about to leave 100MB on the table but on the last night of the cruise did let another member of our party on. His device tried to download the iOS update that night but errored out.

On that cruise I kept Airplane mode turned on, but then turned wifi back on.

I saw the flyer on the ship that you could use your cellphone from a list of carriers on board, but that international roaming rates would apply. I hadn't added any international features to my AT&T wireless account. So i stayed in airplane mode on, wifi on, connected to ships wifi, with a paid wifi plan.

Back on shore now but heading out the end of February, I've been trying to research what to do for that cruise, also on Disney.

I've spent 3 nights reading this week and find mostly what I think is now out-dated information, along with conflicting information.

What I think I want to do is buy the 600mb AT&T Passport option and leave cellular on and wifi off on my phone.

The information that SPECIFICALLY conflicts tho is on this AT&T page: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4#fbid=Uxc_JOMdQ_l that seems to limit Passport usage to Royal Caribbean International®, Azamara Club Cruises®, and select Celebrity Cruises® ships.

I don't think that is the case tho, I think the Disney dream has Celluar at Sea also from what I've found elsewhere. Can someone clarify. Posts in this thread are the closest yet, but don't clearly answer this for me. I'm more interested in DATA and text messages than Talk minutes.

Edited by LakeRat64080

Maybe post this on the Disney board?

I've been researching this topic for 3 nights, and this thread has gotten the closest. But I'm still confused, so I'll post specifics and see if some one can answer.

I was on the Disney Dream last November. Not knowing any better, I purchased connect@sea's 300mb plan once on board. I kept it only on my phone and didn't share with anyone else in our party because I quasi-calculated off normal usage that 300meg might work for me only. And if I added anyone then it would be everyone including phones and iPads. The seoncd night of the cruise iOS 8.1.x was release and it was 286mg. My phone downloaded this and wiped out my wifi allowance overnight. I had to buy the 300MB package over again. I was about to leave 100MB on the table but on the last night of the cruise did let another member of our party on. His device tried to download the iOS update that night but errored out.

On that cruise I kept Airplane mode turned on, but then turned wifi back on.

I saw the flyer on the ship that you could use your cellphone from a list of carriers on board, but that international roaming rates would apply. I hadn't added any international features to my AT&T wireless account. So i stayed in airplane mode on, wifi on, connected to ships wifi, with a paid wifi plan.

Back on shore now but heading out the end of February, I've been trying to research what to do for that cruise, also on Disney.

I've spent 3 nights reading this week and find mostly what I think is now out-dated information, along with conflicting information.

What I think I want to do is buy the 600mb AT&T Passport option and leave cellular on and wifi off on my phone.

The information that SPECIFICALLY conflicts tho is on this AT&T page: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4#fbid=Uxc_JOMdQ_l that seems to limit Passport usage to Royal Caribbean International®, Azamara Club Cruises®, and select Celebrity Cruises® ships.

I don't think that is the case tho, I think the Disney dream has Celluar at Sea also from what I've found elsewhere. Can someone clarify. Posts in this thread are the closest yet, but don't clearly answer this for me. I'm more interested in DATA and text messages than Talk minutes.

We have T-Mobile and are not charged for texting, emailing or data when out of the country (it's part of their regular service). We are charged $.20 per minute for out of country calls. On our recent TA, when we were close to land, we'd pick up signals from whatever carrier was in the country we were coming in to and never charged for roaming either. It was awesome!

Did you text while out to sea?