Sorting Through Various Cruises

ducklite

Same advice as digitl and peterscot : if you have a particular trip/ship/date in mind, book as soon as possible; if you are ready to be very flexible on the date, the ship, the itinerary, you can wait and hope for a sale (Quark for instance has had interesting sales this past two years, a month or two before the actual trips).

As for feeling bored, after two trips in Antarctica (both with MS Fram), I don't see how that can be possible. Every day is different and exciting and full of new experiences and wonders. My biggest regret was : how much will I miss while I eat/sleep (although I did try to sleep as little as humanly possible! ;) ). Both time I wished it lasted longer (and my trips were 13 days and 17 days long).

I'm not sure there are trips that offer both South Georgia and attempting the Antarctic Circle (for time reasons mostly), but I'll be happy to know if this exists. My first trip was to the Antarctic Circle and the second went to Falklands, SG and Antarctica (but not far south). From the first trip, the best memories were definitely from below the Circle (much more dramatic landscape, more ice) but as it was later in the season (mid-February), there was a lot less ice/snow in the northern part of the Peninsula. The second trip was last December and although we stayed at the tip of the Peninsula, it was amazing, great weather, a lot of ice (we even had to break through fresh sea-ice, quite an experience). South Georgia is beautiful and unique, and I think it's really worth considering it. I'm now planning a third trip and it will definitely include South Georgia.

As for feeling bored, after two trips in Antarctica (both with MS Fram), I don't see how that can be possible. Every day is different and exciting and full of new experiences and wonders. My biggest regret was : how much will I miss while I eat/sleep (although I did try to sleep as little as humanly possible! ;) ). Both time I wished it lasted longer (and my trips were 13 days and 17 days long).

That pretty much reflects our experience. Meals were spent with a camera under the table and eyes constantly scanning the view outside, and sleep was definitely an inconvenience. Try avoiding being out on deck at midnight in the Lemaire Channel or off Port Lockroy!

I'm not sure there are trips that offer both South Georgia and attempting the Antarctic Circle (for time reasons mostly), but I'll be happy to know if this exists. My first trip was to the Antarctic Circle and the second went to Falklands, SG and Antarctica (but not far south). From the first trip, the best memories were definitely from below the Circle (much more dramatic landscape, more ice) but as it was later in the season (mid-February), there was a lot less ice/snow in the northern part of the Peninsula. The second trip was last December and although we stayed at the tip of the Peninsula, it was amazing, great weather, a lot of ice (we even had to break through fresh sea-ice, quite an experience). South Georgia is beautiful and unique, and I think it's really worth considering it. I'm now planning a third trip and it will definitely include South Georgia.

We did the reverse: peninsula, South Georgia and the Falklands on our first trip, then the Circle earlier this year. Plans are now being laid to take Fram's 'Great Antarctic Expedition' trip to the Falklands, South Georgia, South Orkneys, and the peninsula: we're waiting for the new brochure to be published but are also open to a last minute trip this year if the price is right and flights are not too expensive.

This part of the planet really does have an attraction that is both difficult to resist but also difficult to explain.

On waiting ... what the others said. There are trips where I don't mind waiting until the sales start to show up; others ... especially expedition trips ... I book when the itinerary comes out. I often find that the cabin category I'm interested in is no longer available during those sales, or the dates don't work for me.

Getting bored? Only you can answer that. For me, it's never been an issue. Too much to enjoy outside from the scenery to the wildlife; a lot of lectures indoors. I can entertain myself when there is downtime ... reading, writing, processing photos, socializing with other passengers. Some passengers need to "be entertained" ... others can entertain themselves. Nothing wrong with either, but if you fall into the former category, I would be leery of long trips ... anywhere, anytime.

As to SG & Falklands with the peninsula vs the crossing the circle. I would choose any itinerary that includes them over the Antarctic Circle -- trust me you won't regret it. No offense to anyone, but the circle is an imaginary line, what does crossing it really accomplish? I say this as someone who has crossed the Arctic circle multiple times ... not because we sought to do so, but because the itinerary simply took us to those latitudes. Our next expedition takes us to the Ross Sea ... will we cross the circle? Yes ... but I am going for the Ross Sea experience ... the circle just happens to be along the way. ;)

I guess all this to say ... book your voyage for the total experience, not for a goal that may or may not be achieved.

To see photos from SG and the Falklands ... if you have signatures turned on, use the link below to go to my galleries.

Whatever you decide ... Antarctica is an incredibly special part of the world ... enjoy.

No offense to anyone, but the circle is an imaginary line, what does crossing it really accomplish?

I, and I am certain, many others, use 'the Circle' as a shorthand way of saying 'much further South' and, like SarniaLo, we found it to be very different from the peninsula. Landscape, ice, wildlife, even the climate, were all subtly different and well worth taking the trip.

We felt it was different from, and no more or less preferable, than South Georgia and the Falklands. They're all a 'must visit' (and 'must go back') as far as we are concerned!

Thanks everyone! I agree with you that I highly doubt we'll find ourselves bored; we wouldn't be considering this trip if we didn't want the adventure of a lifetime! If home was where we wanted to be, we definitely wouldn't have ended up at Svalbard for our honeymoon. :) Adventuring is relatively new to DH so I understand his concern, but seeing as he spent every waking moment in Norway hanging over the rail looking for puffins, I think he'll be just fine. But he wanted me to ask just to be sure.

Thanks for reaffirming that booking right away is the way to go. When might you expect the itineraries for 2016/2017 to come out? Of course, we need to figure out where to go and who to sail with first! Our voyage in Norway was through Celebrity, so we don't have a discount with Hurtigruten (though we kept wondering about their ships that we saw in every port, and looking them up when we got home is how we discovered Antarctica!). Quark has an itinerary to cross the circle via the Falklands and South Georgia, but with prices starting at $18K/person (plus flights, hotels, and the camping and kayaking I think would be fun - gotta do it all!) it might be hard to come up with that amount. Maybe I should go ask my boss for a raise! :D http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/en/antarctic/expeditions/crossing-the-circle-falklands-and-south-georgia/itinerary

Speaking of costs, how does booking work for Antarctica? I imagine it's different than a "normal" cruise. Do you still make a deposit and pay the sum X days before sailing, or do you pay the whole thing up front?

And just because... DH was successful in getting his puffin picture:

Puffin.jpg

Thanks!!

Thanks for the link to the Quark trip. This sounds heavenly (and, for me, totally out of my reach :) ).

Regarding booking, from my Hurtigruten experience : the catalog for 2016/2017 should come out early 2015 (around March I think, it may varies from country to country). If you are decided on a trip, book quickly, as prices may go up as the ship gets booked. You pay 30% up front, and the rest 45 days before departure at the latest. (may varies for other operators).

Regarding the Antarctic Circle. The symbol itself was fun, and I'm glad we made it, but it's not the reason we chose that trip. We were originally booked on a SG/Antarctica trip on MS Nordnorge which was cancelled, and as a replacement we chose the longest available trip. It turns out it was the Antarctic Circle expedition, and it also turns out that the landscape and feeling was indeed different further South. So just as digitl said, it's not the Circle itself, it's the length of the trip and the diversity of landscape and experience that appeals. But now that I have been to South Georgia, I really want to go back there.

Digitl, are you considering the Great Antarctic Expedition for 2016? Because that is exactly what is in the planning for us. I think it's a very well balanced program, with Falklands and SG and still enough time on the Peninsula. I'm basically now just waiting for the booking to open! ;)

Edited by SarniaLo

Just to stress what S-Lo and others have suggested: it's important to book early if for no other reason than to get the cabin class you want. We went with Lindblad and they don't do discounting beyond occasional air credit, and the variance in cabin prices really shocked us. Sure there are differences in cabins on regular cruise ships too, but in my opinion what was on offer for the extra $30K per couple was nowhere near worth it.

There's an extra sitting area and balcony in the $70K suite, but everyone ate exactly the same food in exactly the same room, everyone did all the same excursions at the same times, and had the opportunity to attend all the same lectures. I guess a balcony would give you some measure of privacy but I found the bench behind the Library offered just as much privacy with equal vantage point. More often, I was out behind the lounge taking informal instruction from Nat Geo photographers.

Our next trip to the Southern Ocean is shaping up to be Falklands/So. Georgia only, via Cheeseman's.

Digitl - re. Fram....apologies. Didnt mean to upset anyone. It was just an indication that the long winter is over here, and I get to show some visitors around my local patch.

About being bored on board, I remember once stepping outside on deck at night after about a week of leaden cloudy skies, to find the full glory of the stars on display. Apart from those on the ship, there were no lights for hundreds, possibly thousands, of miles.

I went back into the bar to tell my companions about the jaw-dropping sight. "Oh, yeh, I've got an app on my phone that shows you the night sky. No need to go outside....!". Made me wonder why they had paid all that money for the trip. They could have seen penguins in the zoo....

Speaking of costs, how does booking work for Antarctica? ... Do you still make a deposit and pay the sum X days before sailing

That's how it works. The only difference from other cruises is that you may (you certainly do on Fram) have to provide a completed medical form when you check in on board to say that you're fit for the trip. And no form means no trip.

Digitl, are you considering the Great Antarctic Expedition for 2016? Because that is exactly what is in the planning for us. I think it's a very well balanced program, with Falklands and SG and still enough time on the Peninsula. I'm basically now just waiting for the booking to open! ;)

That's the one, unless there's a cancellation this year that is a sensible price.

Digitl - re. Fram....apologies. Didnt mean to upset anyone. It was just an indication that the long winter is over here, and I get to show some visitors around my local patch.

Don't worry, I'll get over it!

About being bored on board, I remember once stepping outside on deck at night after about a week of leaden cloudy skies, to find the full glory of the stars on display. Apart from those on the ship, there were no lights for hundreds, possibly thousands, of miles.

I went back into the bar to tell my companions about the jaw-dropping sight. "Oh, yeh, I've got an app on my phone that shows you the night sky. No need to go outside....!". Made me wonder why they had paid all that money for the trip. They could have seen penguins in the zoo....

We had something like that on our recent Galapagos trip. A number of our fellow travellers had no idea of the 'etiquette' surrounding human interaction with animals in such circumstances and were still calling giant tortoises 'turtles' after seven days in the islands! We got the impression they were there for nothing more than bragging rights once they got back home.

I, and I am certain, many others, use 'the Circle' as a shorthand way of saying 'much further South' and, like SarniaLo, we found it to be very different from the peninsula. Landscape, ice, wildlife, even the climate, were all subtly different and well worth taking the trip.

We felt it was different from, and no more or less preferable, than South Georgia and the Falklands. They're all a 'must visit' (and 'must go back') as far as we are concerned!

That shorthand I can agree with ... :)

I thought Antarctica would be a once in a lifetime trip for me, but after reading this thread (and a few others on this board), I think it's going to be a twice in a lifetime trip, and I'm going to have to find one that goes above the Arctic Circle as well. Sigh! Anyone got the winning Powerball numbers handy? :D

I was pleasantly surprised to find out on here that it's not only possible, but apparently quite common to book as a single and share a cabin with someone to save on cost. I'm not thrilled about sharing, but if Mr. Right doesn't come along in the next few years I'd be willing to do it. I figure I'll only be in the cabin to sleep & shower anyway - way too much scenery to be in the cabin too often.

I've also learned that for the most part, the Falklands and S. Georgia are a must see, but generally not done on the same itinerary as one that goes below the Antarctic Circle (except for that fabulous, but pricey, Quark one that was just posted). So that means two trips.

Thanks to all.

I just love Cruise Critic :)

Edited by Cruzin-K

I thought Antarctica would be a once in a lifetime trip for me, but after reading this thread (and a few others on this board), I think it's going to be a twice in a lifetime trip, and I'm going to have to find one that goes above the Arctic Circle as well. Sigh! Anyone got the winning Powerball numbers handy? :D

'Twice in a lifetime'? Make that at least twice in a lifetime!

Above the Arctic Circle is different again. We did Fram's circumnavigation of Svalbard and had a great time: Longyearbyen, Polarcirkel rides across the fronts of glaciers, remote and barren landings, walruses and the odd polar bear or two (with cub). And we got beyond 80° North: less than 700 miles away from the North Pole yet surprisingly mild.

I've also learned that for the most part, the Falklands and S. Georgia are a must see, but generally not done on the same itinerary as one that goes below the Antarctic Circle (except for that fabulous, but pricey, Quark one that was just posted). So that means two trips.

The Quark trip is roughly double what we have paid Hurtigruten for each of our trips but, of course, it only needs one return air fare. That said, I would prefer the two separate visits to give time for reflection on the experiences.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out on here that it's not only possible, but apparently quite common to book as a single and share a cabin with someone to save on cost. I'm not thrilled about sharing, but if Mr. Right doesn't come along in the next few years I'd be willing to do it. I figure I'll only be in the cabin to sleep & shower anyway - way too much scenery to be in the cabin too often.

Thanks to all.

I just love Cruise Critic :)

Once you're 'bit by the ice virus' you'll find yourself wanting to go again and again. It's taken us eight years to return to Antarctica this season, but have been scratching the itch with trips to the Arctic regions these past several years. Different from the Antarctic in so many ways, so the key is not to compare them, but to enjoy each and every one as a separate experience. I'll have to take a look at that Quark itinerary, but it will probably have to wait a few years so we can save money to return ;)

Edited by h2so4

We signed up for the Quark "Epic Antarctica" last July for the Dec. 2015 - Jan. 2016 expedition (S. Georgia, Falklands and Circle). I, too, hesitated over the price until I learned that we could get a 15% discount when early booking. We were so early we got to pick our cabin which is one of the largest on the bottom level and signed up for the kayaking. Plus, I have another year to save so it won't hurt too much paying the final bill. I also plan to use airline award flights to get there. It is much more time off than I really should take but since it's over the holidays, that makes it a bit easier.

We are really getting excited now and it's still a long way off...

Yes perfectly normal and done by the majority of passengers as generally solos outnumber couples on board. I have shared a cabin with a stranger 3 times. I have my limits - I will only do a double cabin - not triple or quads - thats just wayyyyyy too much for me in regards to the amount of humans I can tolerate.

Plenty do the Circle and FI SGI together. Generally they are the 18-25 day trips in order to fit it all in. And the Quark one is now 2/3s less than what I first paid for that itinerary a few years ago.

Probably easier to save and do one single longer trip than 2 shorter trips.

But even then - it immediately becomes an addiction - I did 3 trips in the past 4 years and already looking at another asap.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to a great travel agent (I can let you have her details if it would be useful) we're booked!

Oh, and it's now called 'The Ultimate Antarctica Experience'.

Edited by digitl

Thanks to a great travel agent (I can let you have her details if it would be useful) we're booked!

Oh, and it's now called 'The Ultimate Antarctica Experience'.

Wow! Lucky you! I didn't know the booking were already opened! Could you give me the details of the exact dates and itinerary?

I'll be happy to know about your travel agent although I'd rather book directly with Hurtigruten, and if I tell them that people are already booking maybe I can manage that. But I had previous problems with sales in France being opened later than anywhere else, for some reason, so maybe a travel agent could be the way to go. Thanks! My email is sophiel.net(at)free.fr

• 3 weeks later...

Silversea Explorer was mentioned a few times earlier in this thread. Anyone considering her might want to have a read through the 'Classic Antarctica on Silversea Explorer December, 2014' thread in the 'Antarctic Adventures' forum on TA and the matching review here on CC (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=267521&sr=gb&sd=us).

Early returns to Ushuaia seem to be more prevalent than on other ships and there are organisation problems too, both of which, despite the claimed 'luxury', undermine the value of the trip for me.

• 5 months later...
Exactly what I was going to say. I think a compromise may have to be found between size, degree of luxury and budget.

Ponant might cover all your requirements except number of passengers.

I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread. We have almost decided on Ponant's Le Lyrial for January of 2017. It's an Abercrombie & Kent charter, and they limit the number of passengers to 199, meaning 2 instead of 3 landing parties at each site. It has the added benefit of being a "photography" cruise, so I may learn a thing or two about my DSLR in the process.

It does cost more than the Ponant fare (by about $2kpp), but is still far less than Silversea or National Geographic, the other two lines we were considering, for a low and midships cabin. It's most-inclusive (house wines and liquors; premium are additional as is laundry and Internet).

But I haven't finished my research yet....

Edited by critterchick

It has the added benefit of being a "photography" cruise, so I may learn a thing or two about my DSLR in the process.

I'm not sure what a 'photography' cruise is (aren't all Antarctic cruises 'photography' cruises?) but in our experience the resident ship's photographer is always to keen to help and offer advice.

I'm not sure what a 'photography' cruise is (aren't all Antarctic cruises 'photography' cruises?) but in our experience the resident ship's photographer is always to keen to help and offer advice.

On a photography intensive cruise there will usually be a couple of experts on board who will teach seminars as well as assist with hands on photography. It's an extra layer of learning as opposed to just offering suggestions or assistance on the fly. Although I didn't take part I was in a cruise with a photography subset who had a couple of two hour sessions as well as guided tours in a couple of re ports which were aimed at getting unique photos.