In a nutshell...

KPfromCT

No early or late assigned seating. Various complimentary restaurants (3) to replace main dining. Make a reservation for whatever dining room you wish to dine in each evening. Each dining room will feature specific cuisine.

So, it's basically Anytime Dining, in these restaurants, or, reservations in the pay for restaurants?

How do you feel about it?

Is this a good thing?

We usually do the Anytime Dining on Carnival, so I'm not sure if this would be an issue.....

Thank you both, for your responses.:)

So, it's basically Anytime Dining, in these restaurants, or, reservations in the pay for restaurants?

How do you feel about it?

Is this a good thing?

We usually do the Anytime Dining on Carnival, so I'm not sure if this would be an issue.....

Thank you both, for your responses.:)

No one really knows since it hasn't started yet. It'll be on Quantum when they start sailing in a couple of weeks and on Oasis beginning in March.

I'm looking forward to the change.

Based on these boards "the sky is falling" or "the world is ending" or "I refuse to cruise Royal ships with DD" is the mantra regarding DD.

Being one of those all important millennials that DD is aimed at attracting, I will take a wait and see approach. I do like the idea of of new menus most at this point. Having done several cruises under the old menu they are starting to appear stale. I'm also one of those types that would rather have the worst day cruising than the best day at work. So I'm under the "wait and see" mantra!

IMO I think they are trying to get into a more non formal dinner theme. Which when you think of it is kind of nice. People are running and busy all the time, it is nice to just say " Lets go to dinner now, I'm hungry". We always schedule everything so I think they are going for a easier way to dinner. Easier for them and us. Lots of folks are stuck in the way it was. Everything changes with the time. ;)

IMO I think they are trying to get into a more non formal dinner theme. Which when you think of it is kind of nice. People are running and busy all the time, it is nice to just say " Lets go to dinner now, I'm hungry". We always schedule everything so I think they are going for a easier way to dinner. Easier for them and us. Lots of folks are stuck in the way it was. Everything changes with the time. ;)

I'm a big fan of the idea, but if you don't have reservations, plan on spending some time waiting for a n opening

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

RCI has strongly expressed that reservations need to be made. Back when this type of dining was announced, the question was posed to Adam Goldstein, CEO of RCI, what would be happen if diners did not have a reservation. The issue was somewhat skirted with a strong suggestion of required reservations with they will be accomodated. Of course, how long the wait would be is the question. So, they are pushing reservations made in both specialty fee based restaurants and those complimentary DD restaurants.

One of the restaurants on the Oasis will be the Grande. It is slated as formal each night. The descriptions for dress code mention men to wear a coat and women cocktail dresses. I may be surprised, but I think this restaurant will be the least chosen. People seem to want to be relaxed while on vacation. We'll see.

It's like what NCL does....many options, many "pay for" venues....

Yep ... it's essentially Freestyle Dining revisited. The reviews are mixed, but it seems to be working for NCL ... it's fleetwide. My one cruise with them was awful, but it's not a sufficient sample to condemn the concept. Royal Caribbean generally does its homework, but does listen to feedback. Let's see what happens.

Lots of folks are stuck in the way it was. Everything changes with the time.

Absolutely correct ... and much of it for the better as far as cruising is concerned. Sure, they may have gotten rid of a couple of amenities here and there, or changed a long-established policy (as in cabin credit for booking onboard ... another topic for another time), but all I know is that my cruise aboard Carnival's Jubilee (and it was old then) in 1996 cost me over $900. That same itinerary aboard a gorgeous Royal Caribbean mega-ship is now around half of that. Many of those who complain about the cutbacks probably couldn't afford to cruise at 1996 prices.

Overall I've liked Royal Caribbean's innovative concepts ... let's see what Dynamic Dining brings.

Al

Edited by jewopaho