Will you lie about being sick on cruise questionnaire? - Ebola

snorkelman

Carnival has revised its "public health questionnaire" to specifically ask about Ebola.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RSUIKz_J29E/VEPtTklb54I/AAAAAAAAVe8/WmzqcjdcooY/s640/PCL%2520Health%2520Form1.jpg

In the past LOTS of people lied on those forms, not giving a hoot about getting others sick, and selfishly not wanting their own cruise ruined.

Now, these same people need to thinks twice.

Imagine if you don't work with Ebola patients, but still exhibit these symptoms.

FYI the symptoms of Ebola include

Fever

Severe headache

Muscle pain

Weakness

Diarrhea

Vomiting

Abdominal (stomach) pain

Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)

So, let's say you have a fever, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, and maybe some weakness. Clearly those are all symptoms of Ebola. However, lots of people without Ebola also have those symptoms.

However, if you unwittingly contracted Ebola (let's say a few days before the cruise). This is possible, since many people fly to reach the port, and it is possible that someone may cough or sneeze on you.

So, if you board the ship, and if it turns out you lied, and your condition worsens and you decide to see the ship doctor and he sees even more tell-tale signs of Ebola, you may be putting yourself in a very serious situation.

As we have seen this past week, some foreign ports that cruises visit will refuse to allow a suspected Ebola patient off the ship. You may very well delay your own treatment by having lied on those forms and now being stuck on a cruise.

Imagine the compounded impact if it was a transatlantic (or other long) cruise.

Edited by snorkelman

I found a poll asking the same thing about norovirus. Most said they would lie.

And bless something changes about not offering a refund not to sail, I don't expect the results to be any different.

Let's hope this is behind us, but I fear we will end up getting it through our southern border, until something changes.

I found a poll asking the same thing about norovirus. Most said they would lie.

And bless something changes about not offering a refund not to sail, I don't expect the results to be any different.

Let's hope this is behind us, but I fear we will end up getting it through our southern border, until something changes.

If they are keeping the full fare, I am going to lie, absolutely.

Too bad so sad if they have to bring the ship in early. They deserve it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

If they are keeping the full fare, I am going to lie, absolutely.

Too bad so sad if they have to bring the ship in early. They deserve it.

Not quite sure about the statement in red. Do you mean the healthy people on board deserve to have their cruise interrupted (or be contaminated) by those who lie about their symptoms? If so, I hope I never have the "pleasure" of cruising with you.

I did cancel one of my February cruises, as I came down with norovirus 3 days before. I was feeling better by the evening of the pre-cruise day, but cancelled because I didn't want to take the chance of infecting anyone, even if I had no symptoms except being tired. (yes, I always by trip insurance) I missed out on a cruise I had been waiting (and saving) to take - but common sense and compassion for others won out.

Not quite sure about the statement in red. Do you mean the healthy people on board deserve to have their cruise interrupted (or be contaminated) by those who lie about their symptoms? If so, I hope I never have the "pleasure" of cruising with you.

I did cancel one of my February cruises, as I came down with norovirus 3 days before. I was feeling better by the evening of the pre-cruise day, but cancelled because I didn't want to take the chance of infecting anyone, even if I had no symptoms except being tired. (yes, I always by trip insurance) I missed out on a cruise I had been waiting (and saving) to take - but common sense and compassion for others won out.

Thank goodness for people like you! Why risk getting quarantined when it is discovered that you are sick, no money back and in your cabin the entire cruise. Just buy insurance so you are covered and can reschedule so you can sail when you are well. It's too bad that people do lie and then a virus breaks out on the ship and Carnival is blamed instead of the losers who brought it aboard!

So if you think you may have ebola, and you exhibit the symptoms (i.e. you are pretty much too sick to stand upright), and you know that ebola kills 90% of its victims.....you are going to lie about it and go on a cruise??? :eek:

I would be heading to a hospital myself, but that's just me.

The cruiseline deserves it for not making provisions to refund peoples money. Too bad so sad if it costs them lots of money to cancel the cruise and come home early.

So if you think you may have ebola, and you exhibit the symptoms (i.e. you are pretty much too sick to stand upright), and you know that ebola kills 90% of its victims.....you are going to lie about it and go on a cruise??? :eek

Perhaps they have always dreamed of a burial at sea....

The question about a headache, diarrhea, stomach pain, can be caused by other problems, nothing that can be passed to others. Lots of people suffer from IBS, stress of getting to the cruise ship (airport, traffic, etc), can cause a headache, and IBS can cause stomach pain. I don't have IBS but know people who do, so yes, I would lie on the form if I knew it was nothing that could be passed on to others.

Edited by elliair

The cruiseline deserves it for not making provisions to refund peoples money. Too bad so sad if it costs them lots of money to cancel the cruise and come home early.

It sounds like you feel any passenger who did not purchase travel insurance should get 100% refund by the cruiseline if they had maybe two of those symptoms, such as fever and stomach pain, correct?

See how absurd that sounds?

How do you get your trip insurance to reimburse you? Don't they require more than a simple "I was running a fever so I decided to stay home" before they pay out a few thousand for a claim?

Go to a Dr. to substantiate your being ill. The trip insurance people will send a paper to you (or fax it) that the Dr. just fills out. (diagnosis and advising that the patient should not be traveling with those symptoms. Very easy!)

People would then cancel their cruises for any reason, giving little or no notice to the cruiseline. (I do understand where the cruiselines are coming from financially on last minute cancellations.) Also, for the extra $35-$50 pp (some less, some more) trip insurance covers you. We consider insurance part of our cruise expense. Putting a whole ship - 1500-4,800 people or more at risk really speaks volumes.

it will cost the cruise line some money.. it will cost you your life....

interesting trade-off

I would seriously hope that anyone who even suspected they had come in contact with ebola would not lie about having symptoms on a questionnaire. But then again, that is how the guy that originally had it got into the US.

There is a lot riding on the honor system here and honestly I don't have a lot of faith in it....

It's really too bad that people who think they may have a deadly disease that would be so selfish. Think of the outbreak it could cause. I mean we aren't talking about Noro here that just makes you sick for a few days. This can and probably will KILL YOU. So selfish...

No I wouldn't lie, this is one reason why I buy cruise insurance. In fact I wouldn't even drive to the port if I think I was getting sick.

Will cruise insurance reimburse your fare if you decide to stay home because you have a little fever?

Since you continue to shred the Norovirus up to two weeks after your symptoms have resolved, you did a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY good thing!

No I wouldn't lie, this is one reason why I buy cruise insurance. In fact I wouldn't even drive to the port if I think I was getting sick.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you! If I am sick, why would I want to be out at sea feeling miserable? That is why we get the insurance also.