Hawaii on POA or Mediterranean on Epic with a teen

SURPRISE1

Can not decide on the best adventure for our family of 3. My husbsnd, myserllf and 18 year old son want to do a Big vacation before he heads to college. Travel agent discouraged Europe due to lack of teens. Second choice cruise but can't decide between Hawaii or Mediterranran. We have never been to either. Looking for your advice.....Cost is nearly the same for either using AARP discount rates.

Can't tell you about the Mediterranean yet (going in May:D) but I have been on the Epic and Pride of America (4 times). Hawaii is absolutely beautiful and there is so much to do in each port but the ship is smaller and less to do onboard. You will find that it won't really matter because port days are so busy, you will board ship, eat and sleep.

The Epic is a very active ship with so much more going on. Of course I was on a Caribbean cruise. From what I have read on these boards you will have busy port days in the Med. so you may not spend much time doing things on the Epic either.

I really don't think you can go wrong with whichever vacation you choose, to me it would be a personal choice on which destination you all would prefer.

I would vote for the Epic. We took our teens on the Epic in the Mediterranean and we had a great time. It is a fun ship with lots of things going on. We went in June. It seemed like there were a lot of families with kids of all ages. I am not sure what your travel agent is talking about.

The cruise is very port intensive with long days, so you will be tired at the end of the day. I am not sure if your kid will be socializing that much anyway. I have been to Hawaii, also, and love it, but I would choose Europe for a trip of a lifetime.

We took our kids on the POA last year for a similar trip. Last big family vacation before they start going their own ways. We all loved it.

Not much time was spent on the ship as it is such a busy itinerary. I think it depends on your interests. We hiked into a volcano and saw a sunset on another volcano and hiked up yet anther volcano. And swam in the ocean. They guys did ziplining while my dd and I went shopping for aloha shirts and such.

We did Europe and Greece on our honeymoon. I would say it was more a walking around, looking at sights, learning about history (all of which we love!) type of vacation than an adventurous holiday.

For either itinerary, IMO it would be more about your interests and the ports of call than the actual ship. Either way, by the end of the day you will be up for little more than dinner and perhaps a show before bed. Whichever you choose I'm sure it will be great.

How awesome that your family can enjoy a great cruise college send off!

As others have stated, it really depends on personal preferences/likes-dislikes.

Maybe have the HS grad do a bit of research and decide! :D

Gorgeous breathtaking scenery, waterfalls, hikes, tropical locale, snorkeling, diving, surfing, kayaking, wildlife, volcanoes, Pearl Harbor, fun watersports, etc....+++ equals Hawaii.

History, architecture, a more cultural experience, etc...+++ equals Mediterranean.

Edited by silvercrikhix

I would go with the European cruise aboard the Epic. We have been to both Hawaii and Europe and I would take Europe any day over Hawaii. We are in our 20's and found plenty of exciting things to do in the Mediterranean. Hawaii is beautiful but there is just something special about Europe...

I would say Europe - we have done both Hawaii and the Med (the Med 4 times). Last year we took our then 26 year old son with us with 4 days in Paris pre-cruise. It was the best vacation he every had. Hawaii is very nice, but it is a beach and it is technically in the US - he could most likely take that cruise any time. Europe is not only a fabulous vacation, it is an adventure and not to put him off.... educational;)

DS loved the Epic (he had a studio cabin) and enjoyed every minute of the Med cruise. He jumped at the chance to go with us next Sept. on the British Isle cruise - Copenhagen to Falmouth England with Ireland and Scotland included - he is seeing the world, and you can't beat that.

Can not decide on the best adventure for our family of 3. My husbsnd, myserllf and 18 year old son want to do a Big vacation before he heads to college. Travel agent discouraged Europe due to lack of teens. Second choice cruise but can't decide between Hawaii or Mediterranran. We have never been to either. Looking for your advice.....Cost is nearly the same for either using AARP discount rates.

I would recommend almost any cruise over the POA. I was on that ship last month and I could easily say it was one of the worst cruises I've ever taken (the cruise itself). The ship is poorly maintained and service is horrible. If you go to Hawaii, I recommend a land vacation over taking that cruise.

The Epic is a better managed ship. Plus, the entertainment is a lot better. The history and culture you would experience in Europe is great for not only you, but your son.

We went in the POA with our 2 girls (19 & 15) and we had an amazing trip. Hands down our best vacation ever!

Spent 2 nights in Waikiki before the cruise and hiked up Diamond Head. The view from the top is breathtaking. We hiked through the rain forest to waterfalls, whale watched, snorkeled, toured Hilo seeing volcano's, lava tubes, coffee farm, orchid farm, macadamia nut factory, black sand beach, there is so much to see and do.

The whale watch and Captain Zodiac snorkel were our favorites. Whales were abundant and the zodiac boat ride to where we snorkeled was a wild ride! I tend to be a "chicken" and I loved it!

The Mediterranean is on my bucket list but I am so glad we did Hawaii and the POA. I hope to go back some day, just maybe not in a penthouse suite to be able to make it happen. We were really spoiled onboard but the islands are what the trip is really for. You have to see which would be the most memorable for your family with the activities you would be doing.

Good luck deciding!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Definitely Europe. Don't know what your TA is talking about-we took 14 yr old on Epic in July and there were tons of teens. He loved it because he met kids from all over the world.

POA is a smaller and older ship and clients skew older for that voyage. The Epic cruise was very young and lively.

I'm the other half of SURPRISE1. Thank you everyone for the the responses and information on both cruises. We are still debating but it sounds like we can't go wrong with either option. Just to eliminate some confusion....the TA that we talked to discouraged Europe only for land tour groups, not cruises. She said most people who do those land only tours are in their 60's, 70's or 80's. We hope to make a decision by the end of October. Has anyone booked a cruise through AARP.COM? They seem to have some good prices!

I would get a new agent. :) I took my kids to Europe several times, it is for all ages. Simple to go on your own, I would NEVER go with any of those group bus tours anyway.

I have been on both those itineraries and will be getting on the Epic next Sunday. I go to Europe and Hawaii at least every year, so certainly my preferences.

I suggest you head to your library and find out about these two areas. Read trip reports on Tripadvisor, make lists of what YOUR interests are and what you would want out of your trip.

An example in my case, my son wanted to see the Coliseum, so that won out in choices that year (we

went every year for a month until he dumped me a few years ago. :) )

Hawaii is simple to tour with rental cars. Interisland flights are cheap. I now spend 3++ weeks with a land week on each side. of a cruise. With the volcano now active, you may want to fly in/out of Kona/Hilo for some extra days, get to Mauna Kea, night snorkeling, etc

I would think that you are going to give the preference to your son for the choice?

We have taken our teens on 2 med cruises and are planning the Baltic next. You will find many nice families on med cruises usually celebrating graduations

They are not parties types but rather pleasant well educated types who appreciate the history of the ports

The nicest pax I have ever seen on a cruise. Even our ccl freedom med cruise!!!!

Days are long and spectacular

There will be everything you expect. Deck parties etc

What is missing is the drunken slobs and the gambling fanatics and believe it or not much fewer smokers. Even in Europe

Forget Hawaii. Take that kid to Europe. Add pre and post days. Go for as long as possible