Panama canal

SHSLIM

We have had our Jan. 2016 Princess Panama Canal trip booked for about 4 months. Much prefer Princess smaller ships forPanama than the huge ships of RC.

Although the Panama Canal locks get widened, I think there won't be any changes for RCI - because the Voyager- and Freedom-Class-ships could not pass the bridge of the Americas, the ships are too high.

So I think the fact that only Radiance- and Vision-Class-ships could sail those itineraries, will remain.

Although the Panama Canal locks get widened, I think there won't be any changes for RCI - because the Voyager- and Freedom-Class-ships could not pass the bridge of the Americas, the ships are too high.

So I think the fact that only Radiance- and Vision-Class-ships could sail those itineraries, will remain.[/quote ]

Royal's larger ships could do what they used to do...just go through the Gatun Locks, enter Gatun Lake, discharge passengers for tours, turn around and go back out through the same locks, then dock at the nearby port where the passengers return from their tours.

Royal stopped that practice a few years ago possibly because of the really steep charge for using the locks. Lately Royal just docks at the port. Passengers can then take tours of the locks.

We have had our Jan. 2016 Princess Panama Canal trip booked for about 4 months. Much prefer Princess smaller ships forPanama than the huge ships of RC.

The Royal Caribbean ships that sail the Panama Canal are pretty much the same size as the Princess ships that do it. In fact, in tonnage, the Royal ships are slightly smaller.

My DW spent much of her teen years as an Army Brat in the Panama Canal Zone. For her 50th birthday around February of 2016 she wants to sail through the canal. Waiting patiently for Royal to open this schedule up. We figured it would be in March or April, 2015. Could do it on another line, but we will have just made Diamond with Royal and would hate to not have the benefits for a cruise of this length.

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

The Royal Caribbean ships that sail the Panama Canal are pretty much the same size as the Princess ships that do it. In fact, in tonnage, the Royal ships are slightly smaller.

My DW spent much of her teen years as an Army Brat in the Panama Canal Zone. For her 50th birthday around February of 2016 she wants to sail through the canal. Waiting patiently for Royal to open this schedule up. We figured it would be in March or April, 2015. Could do it on another line, but we will have just made Diamond with Royal and would hate to not have the benefits for a cruise of this length.

Pete

Unsure if it's of interest to you, but Celebrity are opening their sailings to Panama early than usual for 2016/17: 2nd December 2014.

Here's the link to their deployment schedule: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Multi_Dest/Flyers/14040978_CEL_Deployment_Open_Schedule_2016_2017.pdf

You would get reciprocal status, therefore making you Elite on X ;). May be worth taking a peek?

When does the "new" Panama canal open? I thought that might allow some of the bigger ships to visit.

Present plans call for the work to be completed by the end of 2015 and open for business in January 2016. The locks on the Atlantic side should be completed sometime after mid 2015 and then used for testing and training until the remainder of the project is completed. The Canal plans to lease a Panamax vessel for the trials and they may also use the new Atlantic Locks with other ships as well.

My DW spent much of her teen years as an Army Brat in the Panama Canal Zone. For her 50th birthday around February of 2016 she wants to sail through the canal.

Pete

I remember my Dad noting that their first Canal cruise was absolutely better than his prior trip through the Canal: in 1962 as a Marine headed toward the Cuban Missile Crisis.:eek:

It was different in the early 60's when I was there

But you did not transit on that ship;)!

Here's another shot just after your pic.

nd60sw.jpg

Ooops, forgot to add, that is the Queen Mary on her way to Long Beach.

Edited by BillB48

Thanks for the reply's I guess I'll keep checking,do you know if you can book while on a cruise before they open on the website,we'll be on the oasis in feb it would be nice to book onboard and the credits.