Doubletree vs Crowne Plaza

HMSDingy

Have you read the "San Pedro from a San Pedran" thread? Lots of talk in there on this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343892

I recently faced the same choice, though, and went with the Crowne Plaza for its proximity to other restaurants and stores, walking distance to the waterfront and the Alacpulco restaurant (bar!!), and if the line for the pier shuttle gets super annoying, I can just walk over to the pier...just a few blocks away.

Plus, the rate was better at CP.

Doubletree is good for the stay, park and sail thing if you're bringing a car... And DT has some nice surrounding marina views but not much else around it... Check it all out on Google maps if you haven't already.

Edited by triptolemus

Have you read the "San Pedro from a San Pedran" thread? Lots of talk in there on this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343892

I recently faced the same choice, though, and went with the Crowne Plaza for its proximity to other restaurants and stores, walking distance to the waterfront and the Alacpulco restaurant (bar!!), and if the line for the pier shuttle gets super annoying, I can just walk over to the pier...just a few blocks away.

Plus, the rate was better at CP.

Doubletree is good for the stay, park and sail thing if you're bringing a car... And DT has some nice surrounding marina views but not much else around it... Check it all out on Google maps if you haven't already.

Tks but it seems that the opposite is true for rates. Doubletree has better rates but lousy reviews on Tripadviser. I figure for the extra bucks we'll have a better experience with The Crowne.

Probably correct, but the OP did ask "Which one should I choose?":)

Ok so I didn't word it correctly but please don't judge. I'm only looking for opinions from those who've stayed at both hotels.

Ok so I didn't word it correctly but please don't judge. I'm only looking for opinions from those who've stayed at both hotels.

I apologize if you thought I was judging. I was not judging, I simply read your comment the way it was posted.:):)

At least some of you knew what city the OP was talking about, since it wasn't mentioned. That deserves points.

We have both in Seattle also, but I wasn't going to assume, and I would have been wrong anyway.

Heh... Well it's the choice everyone who stays over night in San Pedro pre-cruise has to make. There are other options, but these two are alone at the top 2. The two together are instantly recognizable.

Edited by triptolemus

• 3 weeks later...

Not having ever stayed at the Crowne, I can't give you a comparison..........but, we just (as in 2 weeks ago) stayed at the Doubletree and it is true the quality of this hotel has gone down the drain. We found upon arrival to our room a funny odor and upon inspection found black mold in the ac/heater unit. We were given another room which was better but not free of the "mildew", which is what the manager called it. I intend to notify Hilton since this is not the service we expect. We will be definitely looking at the Crowne our next cruise.

At least some of you knew what city the OP was talking about, since it wasn't mentioned. That deserves points.

We have both in Seattle also, but I wasn't going to assume, and I would have been wrong anyway.

I think those who are posting saw that the OP was going on the Crown Princess in a few months, which means the Coastal, Mexican, or Hawaiian cruises -- so out of San Pedro.

We've stayed at both and prefer the Crowne Plaza. There are more restaurants and shopping opportunities in that area than at the Doubletree, which is on a Marina. The area is pretty, but there's not much to do.

Considering BarbaraP's post today, I'd certainly choose the Crowne!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Not having ever stayed at the Crowne, I can't give you a comparison..........but, we just (as in 2 weeks ago) stayed at the Doubletree and it is true the quality of this hotel has gone down the drain. We found upon arrival to our room a funny odor and upon inspection found black mold in the ac/heater unit. We were given another room which was better but not free of the "mildew", which is what the manager called it. I intend to notify Hilton since this is not the service we expect. We will be definitely looking at the Crowne our next cruise.

Please notify Hilton. As a Hilton Honors member, I always let them know how their hotel met our needs. Not very often do I give a "not so good" review. Also, please post of Trip Advisor. Many folks use this for making their selection and what you are saying would be very helpful to someone like me.:)

OP - I understood you perfectly.:D