Possibly an odd question re: electrical outlets (Epic)

terri910

I have already read that the Epic (as in most cruise ships we've been on) only has one 110 outlet in each regular stateroom (there may be more in suites, but we're not booked in a suite). Advice was to bring an extension cord and power strip.

Yeah, we forgot to bring those. We're in Barcelona. We can get extension cords and power strips, but they are for the 2-pronged 220 electrical outlets here in Spain.

My question is: is there an outlet in the stateroom that will accept those 2-pronged 220 devices? We have already purchased adapters that have allowed us to use our US appliances (hair dryer, phone and computer chargers, etc.) in the Spanish outlets....and I was wondering if we bought a power strip and extension cord here, if we could then just use our adapters to adapt it BACK to our 110 US appliances?

Hope this question is clear. *LOL* And thanks in advance to anyone that knows the answer!

Two outlets in balcony (one under medicine cabinet; one inside a lower cabinet along the desk area. At least one (both, I think) has a 220 that accepts the two-rounded pronged plugs. I can't say for certain regarding inside/solo cabins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have already read that the Epic (as in most cruise ships we've been on) only has one 110 outlet in each regular stateroom (there may be more in suites, but we're not booked in a suite). Advice was to bring an extension cord and power strip.

Yeah, we forgot to bring those. We're in Barcelona. We can get extension cords and power strips, but they are for the 2-pronged 220 electrical outlets here in Spain.

My question is: is there an outlet in the stateroom that will accept those 2-pronged 220 devices? We have already purchased adapters that have allowed us to use our US appliances (hair dryer, phone and computer chargers, etc.) in the Spanish outlets....and I was wondering if we bought a power strip and extension cord here, if we could then just use our adapters to adapt it BACK to our 110 US appliances?

Hope this question is clear. *LOL* And thanks in advance to anyone that knows the answer!

Just got off Epic.

2 x round pin sockets and 2 x flat pin sockets

No need to bring a hairdryer as they are in your cabin.

We were in a basic inside room.

Yes, there will be at least one, most commonly two, 220v European round pin outlets in the cabin. Plug your power strip into this, and then plug your adapters into the power strip and you will be fine (I'm assuming that since you have used all appliances in Spain already, nothing has blown up so they are dual voltage). :D Word of advice; get a power strip that IS NOT a surge suppressor. Surge suppressors aren't needed onboard ships, most purchased on land don't work correctly onboard ships, and they can be dangerous, so many cruise lines will confiscate (and return to you at end of voyage) any surge suppressors. Also, you may find that many European power strips will have the two round pin plug on the end of the cord, but the outlets on the bar will accept both round pin and US flat pin plugs, so you won't need your adapters.

to the OP - not sure why you would get an extension cord. Just plug in your stuff.

I just read it suggested somewhere on these boards (or some other place that discussed the Epic ship staterooms)....and I was under the impression the outlet was like UNDER a desk or counter area, or something. I assumed the extension cord was so you didn't have all your stuff on the floor, or down very low so you had to bend over to get to the things that you have charged.

We don't do kneeling on the floor all that well. :D

I just read it suggested somewhere on these boards (or some other place that discussed the Epic ship staterooms)....and I was under the impression the outlet was like UNDER a desk or counter area, or something. I assumed the extension cord was so you didn't have all your stuff on the floor, or down very low so you had to bend over to get to the things that you have charged.

All the outlets I've seen (on Epic and other ships) have been above the surface of a desk or table. I've never seen outlets near the floor in a passenger cabin.

All the outlets I've seen (on Epic and other ships) have been above the surface of a desk or table. I've never seen outlets near the floor in a passenger cabin.

In this thread there is a post that talks about the two outlets in their balcony room that reads:

"...one inside a lower cabinet along the desk area."

That does not mean that a non-balcony room will be the same, but it doesn't mean it WON'T, either. And when I read "lower cabinet along the desk area" it sounds lower than the desk to me. Now, that could just be me not understanding the description, but it isn't like I'm totally off in left field thinking it's possible, whether I've seen one that low or not.

I'll be happy if it isn't too low -- we are accustomed to the outlets being on the wall right by the desk area (as they have been on the Carnival ships we've sailed), which is convenient, but does tend to make the desk area cluttered, IMO. If our outlet winds up inside a cabinet, it might be nice, but I wouldn't like it to be so low that we are bending down to plug or unplug this charger or that one.

The outlets are directly beneath the counter on Epic not next to the floor.

Theres a hole in the counter to pass the cord/plug through so your appliance and sit on the counter.