Can a Canadian traveller really use a NEXUS card instead of a passport?

RickT

You are wise to take both your passports and your NEXUS cards. You didn't mention where you closed loop cruise is going, but if for some reason you has to fly home from a foreign country, I doubt your NEXUS cards would work.

Enjoy your cruise!

Since you don't need a passport to leave a country (only to enter it), the Nexus card will be acceptable for returning to Canada or the US.

The caveat is that Nexus may be used (in lieu of a passport) to enter Canada, Mexico or the US. It is not valid (at this time) for entering any other country. We have used our Nexus cards as ID along with our sea pass to re-enter ports in the Caribbean. If you were flying to the Caribbean, Nexus would most likely not be acceptable.

You will NOT be asked to show your passport AND your Nexus (you require a valid passport to apply for Nexus). If for some reason they suspect you are not the actual owner of the Nexus card they may as for some other form of ID. Note that this would also apply if they suspect that you are not the actual owner of a passport....

Since you don't need a passport to leave a country (only to enter it), the Nexus card will be acceptable for returning to Canada or the US.

The caveat is that Nexus may be used (in lieu of a passport) to enter Canada, Mexico or the US. It is not valid (at this time) for entering any other country. We have used our Nexus cards as ID along with our sea pass to re-enter ports in the Caribbean. If you were flying to the Caribbean, Nexus would most likely not be acceptable.

You will NOT be asked to show your passport AND your Nexus (you require a valid passport to apply for Nexus). If for some reason they suspect you are not the actual owner of the Nexus card they may as for some other form of ID. Note that this would also apply if they suspect that you are not the actual owner of a passport....

Completely correct

So the answer is (given the OPs original question.)... No.

I am not sure if anyone has already posted this. But here is a link of the WHTI that states Canadian citizens can present a NEXUS card. Print it and keep it just in case. We did have a problem with a moron border agent in Galveston with my Michigan enhanced DI. But you may need the passport for some ports.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Remember to always enjoy your cruise, and don't sweat the small stuff.

I guess I don't really understand the POV that it is OK to give the government of Canada $120/$160 in June, but not in March.

I seem to remember that if you renew before the PP expires, Passport Canada will tack that remaining 3 or 4 months (or whatever) on to the validity of a new passport...but its something I have never pursued because I don't care enough.

I seem to remember that if you renew before the PP expires, Passport Canada will tack that remaining 3 or 4 months (or whatever) on to the validity of a new passport...but its something I have never pursued because I don't care enough.

I don't think that is the case. The last two times that I renewed my passport it was still valid for at least six months; both times I grumbled about the fact that at this rate the passports only had a 4 and one half year lifespan, but the customer service agent simply shrugged her shoulders as if I was not the first one to make that observation. At no time did she offer to extend the validity of the new document.

I did a quick google search and came up with the following:

" You can renew your passport up to 12 months before it expires, ... your new passport will not be credited with the outstanding time remaining on ..."

Unfortunately, I read the entire Q & A page and could not find the full quote.

"What may be problematic is whether any of your ports of call are familiar with it, or recognize it. Also, you cannot board a Canadian plane without a passport. So, if you plan on flying from Ottawa to the US, or getting off at every port of call, a passport is s good backup."

I use my Nexus card whenever I fly anywhere in USA and use it whenever I come back to Canada from anywhere. Very useful to have and inexpensive.

We've been looking at getting a Nexus card to make our traveling "easier"...95% of our travel right now is to the US.

That said, last year we had an unexpected turn of events when an airline had staffing issues and we ended up having to fly to our first port of call to meet the ship rather than to Florida. Had we only been flying with a Nexus card/a passport approaching expiry we would have been in trouble

It's better the err on the side of caution. You never know what you're going to encounter. We sure never expected to wind up in Mexico that day, but things happen. Have passport, can travel!

I was in a similar situation ... cruising in November and my passport expired 60 days later.

I decided to err on the side of caution and get the new passport. Got a 10 year and it was turned around in 6 business days (standard processing) - my hubby got his in 5 business days (standard processing).

The only challenges I can see are for those ports, where you need your passport together your sea pass to gain entry to the pier and return to the ship. I can see one having issues with the guy checking passports as to whether your nexus card is considered valid id. I'm sure escalation to a supervisor would resolve the issue, but why risk the extra hassle? The other challenge is noted in the post quoted below. While you may not need a passport to leave a country, just how many times is your passport checked while in queue at the airport?

I pay enough in taxes to the Canadian government and I get not wanting to pay "more" while I still have 2 months remaining on what should be a valid passport. BUT .... I know I didn't pay $120 the last time I renewed a 5 year passport ..... but if I did, that pro-rates to $24 a year or $2 a month. Renewing my passport earlier than expected works out to a $4 loss.

Vacations should be hassle-free.

Don't forget that if you update your passport, to log into GOES and update your passport info. You have to have the most current passport info associated with your nexus account.

You are wise to take both your passports and your NEXUS cards. You didn't mention where you closed loop cruise is going, but if for some reason you has to fly home from a foreign country, I doubt your NEXUS cards would work.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I pay enough in taxes to the Canadian government and I get not wanting to pay "more" ....

Not to mention the taxes we pay to the Ontario Government and the Town of Oakville!

Since you are Queen here, can you do something about my property taxes? They are outrageous.:mad:

Not to mention the taxes we pay to the Ontario Government and the Town of Oakville!

Since you are Queen here, can you do something about my property taxes? They are outrageous.:mad:

lol .... don't blame me .... I'm just the token royalty. Oakvillers voted loud and strong last night ....Mayor Burton back in with 67% of the vote!

I use my Nexus card whenever I fly anywhere in USA and use it whenever I come back to Canada from anywhere. Very useful to have and inexpensive.

Hi Fellow Cruisers and Nexus Card Holders,

Could you all please stop mentioning how great the Nexus card is and how much it facilitates your travels to the states. I'm already noticing longer lines at the Nexus lanes at the border.

Can we just keep this our little secret??

Much appreciated,

HTP

:cool:

Could you all please stop mentioning how great the Nexus card is and how much it facilitates your travels to the states. I'm already noticing longer lines at the Nexus lanes at the border.

Much appreciated,

HTP

You are so right! I have noticed this too. So, yes, let's keep under wraps. Shh.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but your passport must be valid in order to use your Nexus card.

Also, and this is very important, when you renew your passport, you must go into the Nexus office to update your passport information.

We learned this the hard way. We didn't even think about it, after renewing our passports. We had to go to the Nexus office before our next trip, and were told that you are only allowed to make this error once. Next time it happens, your Nexus card is taken away, and you can never get one again.

I was under the impression that you could update your information (including new passport number) online, as long as your current passport has not expired.

Great, if this is the case.

The hard part would be remembering to do it.

I was under the impression that you could update your information (including new passport number) online, as long as your current passport has not expired.

I'm quiet sure we updated our file on line when the new passports came in.

Also, we were now informed we do not keep having to update our car license plate numbers as we did when we got our first Nexus cards.

I'm quiet sure we updated our file on line when the new passports came in.

Also, we were now informed we do not keep having to update our car license plate numbers as we did when we got our first Nexus cards.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I thought the online updating of passport and other information only updated the U.S. system. I recall that I had to also stop by the Customs/Nexus office at Pearson to update the Canadian system.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but your passport must be valid in order to use your Nexus card.

Also, and this is very important, when you renew your passport, you must go into the Nexus office to update your passport information.

We learned this the hard way. We didn't even think about it, after renewing our passports. We had to go to the Nexus office before our next trip, and were told that you are only allowed to make this error once. Next time it happens, your Nexus card is taken away, and you can never get one again.

Correct! I just did this. You can log into your GOES account and do it online. Or you can make the trek to a nexus office.

That's what we thought but apparently if the airline does not put a stamp on your boarding pass you cannot use the Goes line & we asked Westjet when checking in & they said they were not set up for it yet. Have not had a chance to check this out with Nexus yet.

Edited by If only

• 4 months later...

Much appreciated,

HTP

Too late, I already submitted the applications for the NEXUS for my family of 4. :D

You still have to go into a nexus office as GOES is run USCBP and not all information (including updated passports) is shared with CBSA. This is beyond infuriating considering you'd think it would be a no brainer that Passport Canada would share Canadian passport information with the Canadian Border Services Agency but I guess that's just too much to expect...