Updating on the Gem

frangig

Any body who recently sailed on the Gem,,can you tell me if construction was going on? We are sailing Nov. 9 and we recieved a phone call to move our cabin becausethey are updating Modernos. No problem for us got moved from OV to a balcony.:)....just curious!!

Any body who recently sailed on the Gem,,can you tell me if construction was going on? We are sailing Nov. 9 and we recieved a phone call to move our cabin becausethey are updating Modernos. No problem for us got moved from OV to a balcony.:)....just curious!!

Sounds like they are doing the move that the Jewel did in May - although the Jewel's was done during drydock. Basically, Moderno's is being moved to the Star Bar and the Cagney's annex room. And then old Moderno's and the Blue Lagoon are being turned into O'Sheehans all the way around the open atrium.There wasn't too much actual "construction", just adding a wall in the Star bar and opening the O'Sheehans space up a bit (maybe adding some booths? Can't remember), so hopefully it won't impact your sailing much as far as noise goes. I'm not sure how they will handle Modernos/o'Sheehans service during any construction though. I haven't been watching the Gem's schedule to see if she's heading into drydock at all, but I'm surprised they are doing the switchover during actual sailings. Maybe during the Jewel drydock they discovered that it only took a day or two, and so realized such a change does not require drydock?

Robin

Sounds like they are doing the move that the Jewel did in May - although the Jewel's was done during drydock. Basically, Moderno's is being moved to the Star Bar and the Cagney's annex room. And then old Moderno's and the Blue Lagoon are being turned into O'Sheehans all the way around the open atrium.There wasn't too much actual "construction", just adding a wall in the Star bar and opening the O'Sheehans space up a bit (maybe adding some booths? Can't remember), so hopefully it won't impact your sailing much as far as noise goes. I'm not sure how they will handle Modernos/o'Sheehans service during any construction though. I haven't been watching the Gem's schedule to see if she's heading into drydock at all, but I'm surprised they are doing the switchover during actual sailings. Maybe during the Jewel drydock they discovered that it only took a day or two, and so realized such a change does not require drydock?

Robin

Interesting information. I know Gem was scheduled for dry dock 11/2014, but was rescheduled for 11/2015...So, I guess we WILL have O'Sheehan's instead of the Blue Lagoon on our 12/1 sailing, and Moderno's being moved. Sounds good to us.

How did you find you find the food and entertainment? Thanks in advance for confirmation.

When we were on the Gem a few weeks ago the Captain said there were going to be some updates in the coming weeks since the dry dock was delayed. He mentioned changing carpets.

If you like sushi, go see Relly and ask him to make a special roll. The man is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not see Moderno being offered as a dining option...on the Nov.9th sailing.:(

Moderno is being offered as a dining option for Dec 1/14. Really hope either the Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans is open for our cruise. I actually picked our cabin location with the Blue Lagoon in mind. Not a big deal if we had to walk but a bigger deal if it is not even available.

Moderno is being offered as a dining option for Dec 1/14. Really hope either the Blue Lagoon or O'Sheehans is open for our cruise. I actually picked our cabin location with the Blue Lagoon in mind. Not a big deal if we had to walk but a bigger deal if it is not even available.

Moderno has been on the ships for quite some time, as has the Blue Lagoon (or O'Sheehan's on the mega ships). Moderno's isn't be added during the drydocks, on the Jewel-class ships it's merely being moved upstairs to be next to Cagney's, and the space it formerly occupied on deck 8, plus the space occupied by the Blue Lagoon is being combined and converted to become O'Sheehan's.

Even if they were to start the process of moving Moderno's upstairs prior to the drydock, they wouldn't have to close the Blue Lagoon to do it.

Moderno has been on the ships for quite some time, as has the Blue Lagoon (or O'Sheehan's on the mega ships). Moderno's isn't be added during the drydocks, on the Jewel-class ships it's merely being moved upstairs to be next to Cagney's, and the space it formerly occupied on deck 8, plus the space occupied by the Blue Lagoon is being combined and converted to become O'Sheehan's.

Even if they were to start the process of moving Moderno's upstairs prior to the drydock, they wouldn't have to close the Blue Lagoon to do it.

I wonder if they will complete the first part of O'Sheehans (where the old Moderno's is) prior to the drydock, have it operational and then close the Blue Lagoon to complete the O'Sheehans. Blue Lagoon is great but I would really like to try O'Sheehans.

My concern..was not having Moderno as a dining option on my 11/9 cruise...(as it does not appear online)...

I'm with you. I sail on the Gem in March and I am crossing fingers and toes that O'Sheehans and Moderno will both be available. Blue Lagoon was OK but they don't serve beer on tap!! ;)

I wonder if they will complete the first part of O'Sheehans (where the old Moderno's is) prior to the drydock, have it operational and then close the Blue Lagoon to complete the O'Sheehans. Blue Lagoon is great but I would really like to try O'Sheehans.

Come back to the RC :D- we miss you

We will be in her 11/9. Will let you know what we find

Hi, landlady. We're also on the Nov. 9 and Nov. 15 sailings (first time doing a back-to-back). Why not join our Roll Call? No one has organized a Meet & Greet, but there are plans to have lunch together at 12:30 in the main dining room. Lots of CAS members on this cruise, as it's a Slot Pull Tournament and NCL Seminar at Sea cruise. Since NCL rescheduled dry dock from this November to next November (we were bumped from our Nov. 2015 cruise), they are trying hard to fill cabins for cruises only scheduled starting the last half of August. That's late in the cruising world. Guess this is a good a time as any to try construction during a cruise.

Slyfox16, on the Nov. 15 Roll Call, posted: "Just found this on a trade journal's site. Unfortunately doesn't indicate when this starts and when it ends."

'...work on Norwegian Gem which will be carried out, instead, while the ship is in service, according to cfo Wendy Beck.

The drydock had been moved forward so the company could add Norwegian NEXT features like O'Sheehan's Neighborhood Bar & Grill and relocate Moderno Churrascaria, along with installing exhaust gas scrubbers.

'These projects are, instead, being carried out while the ship is in service,'